[3.21] ShakCentral's Cold DoT Elementalist For Everyone

"
hadc wrote:

Cool stuff Don, have you tried divergent frostbite with awakened blasphemy? I use it with profane bloom, the curse almost cover the whole screen with heart of destruction. It’s 50% to freeze with hit if using 30% qual ashes of star. Can go up to 74% with lvl 4 Enhance. Couple with Anomalous Hypothermia the freeze chance should be really high 🙂

I did bunch of testing even tried profane bloom with witchfire brew to simulate blasphemy to see if profane would help with chaining herald of ice explosions. It didn't really effect herald at all and I am not really a fan of profane bloom. Blast freeze was the key to increasing explosion radius and more generic AOE since I have 100% freeze chance already I don't need any crit scaling like most crit builds. Just global AOE to get bigger explosion's.

this specific off cold dot build doesn't work without 100% freeze chance and blast freeze. As soon as I take out Anomalous Hypothermia Herald of Ice completely stops working.
Last edited by donbrawler on Apr 9, 2022, 6:18:39 AM
"
donbrawler wrote:
"
hadc wrote:

Cool stuff Don, have you tried divergent frostbite with awakened blasphemy? I use it with profane bloom, the curse almost cover the whole screen with heart of destruction. It’s 50% to freeze with hit if using 30% qual ashes of star. Can go up to 74% with lvl 4 Enhance. Couple with Anomalous Hypothermia the freeze chance should be really high 🙂

I did bunch of testing even tried profane bloom with witchfire brew to simulate blasphemy to see if profane would help with chaining herald of ice explosions. It didn't really effect herald at all and I am not really a fan of profane bloom. Blast freeze was the key to increasing explosion radius and more generic AOE since I have 100% freeze chance already I don't need any crit scaling like most crit builds. Just global AOE to get bigger explosion's.

this specific off cold dot build doesn't work without 100% freeze chance and blast freeze. As soon as I take out Anomalous Hypothermia Herald of Ice completely stops working.

How do you get 100% freeze chance? Anamalous hypothermia gives 70% freeze chance on chilled enemy? Does that means monsters must be chilled first or they can happen simultaneously (looks instant from video). Can the DOT freeze, shatter and explodes as well or just the hit?
Only the hit from Cold Snap or Vortex freezes.

I might of been counting frostbite in that 100% freeze chance calculation. I do have extra 10% freeze chance from a one of my clusters. Chill is pretty instant with cold snap. So I guess it chills, freezes and shatters almost all instantly because of how high my cold snap damage is. I think my freeze chance is 70% without frostbite and over 100% with frostbite. So I would assume you only need 70% freeze chance I guess to get this working correctly.

I was just testing different ideas until I got it working :D

Just to give you an example of a cold based crit build that uses herald of ice like Ice Spear Cast on crit/eye of winter usually only has average hit of 300-700k.

My average hit on cold snap is 1mil which is very close to winter orb build when it comes to hit damage :)

the map mod "Monsters have % chance to avoid elemental ailments" completely bricks this version of the build too.

Last edited by donbrawler on Apr 9, 2022, 7:17:34 AM
"
donbrawler wrote:
I might of been counting frostbite in that 100% freeze chance calculation. I do have extra 10% freeze chance from a one of my clusters. Chill is pretty instant with cold snap. So I guess it chills, freezes and shatters almost all instantly because of how high my cold snap damage is. I think my freeze chance is 70% without frostbite and over 100% with frostbite. So I would assume you only need 70% freeze chance I guess to get this working correctly.

I was just testing different ideas until I got it working :D

Just to give you an example of a cold based crit build that uses herald of ice like Ice Spear Cast on crit/eye of winter usually only has average hit of 300-700k.

My average hit on cold snap is 1mil which is very close to winter orb build when it comes to hit damage :)

Yes, it’s the beauty of having cold snap on the Shav, it was really fun to see super big pack explosions with just one click 😬 it’s so addictive that it might become my new end game setup even though I’ll lose quite a big of single target DPS
I probably will swap back in ele focus, swift affliction and controlled destruction since its same colors for big bosses like Maven, Sirus, Eldritch Bosses and invitations.

I defiantly feel like it's much better mapper now and even faster than winter tide with HOI explosions.

Last edited by donbrawler on Apr 9, 2022, 7:22:57 AM
"
nZain wrote:
"
So I like this build and I followed the guide, I'm doing SSF and I get one shot by almost everything, I use the proper flasks and I'm at T10 maps but its just so frustrating. I'm newer to this game and don't understand crafting as much but achieving 6K shield seems almost impossible, but everyone seems to be tanky af, I dont really get whats going on. I'm having trouble keeping up STR and DEX while also upgrading things, very upset

This game is quite complex and it throws a lot of mechanics at you. Following some guide is almost mandatory for a new player, but SSF adds another challenge. I'm not a pro-gamer but I'm running a slightly modified version of this build in SSF at ~T14 now. Here are my thoughts about SSF crafting:
a) know your options: basic currency spam (bad in SSF), essences, delve fossils, crafting bench, well... and there are plenty more. My favorites in SSF: essences or fossils, follow up with crafting bench to fill what you've missed.
b) know how to get required resources (e.g. essences or fossils or where you get that multi-mod crafting recipe). I've set all essence nodes on the atlas tree, which gives you a lot more room for crafting luck. Try all different arch nemesis combinations, you will learn that you can create a LOT of fossils with combinations like [entangler, treant horde, necromancer] or even more challenging/rewarding ones. This is way faster than running delve (imho).
c) know what results are possible with the base item at hand.. and you should have a good understanding of your chances, especially with delve: https://www.craftofexile.com/
Its a science on its own, for sure.
d) Never hope for good results, be prepared for total crap: always craft on a separate item, not anything you are using right now. Once I've crafted something better, I will always keep it and craft on the other item.

Finally, you have to understand what is killing you - I have no good advice here. But I feel a lot more tankier since I've pushed strength beyond 155 for determination L20. Apart from that:
My resistances are capped (even with curse).
Chaos Inoculation makes you immune to chaos damage.
With determination+defiance banner I have 18k armor (~75% reduction).
Ascendancies make you chill/freeze/stun immune.
There is one unique map (solar/sun thingy) with one of the bosses dropping a unique shield: makes me ignite/burning immune.
Flask automation!! Remove bleed automatically, what a blessing. This game is killing me way too fast to understand what kind of debuff is draining my shield. I'm running five automated utility flasks which add evasion, armor, remove bleed and shock.

Hope it helps! Don't give up, but don't aim for the end game neither :P

PS: veiled mods are important, try to unlock as many as you can - some are really strong and may help you to boost attributes or damage.

I've watched Ziz's atlas guide and have followed it, I'm getting good essences etc. Similar to you I changed to defiance and tempest shield, all resists at 106%+, but still get one shot by stuff I don't even see. I cant seem to differentiate what is doing the damage considering at higher level maps its just a cluster **** of enemies. It's either your in a giant group you take barley any damage or you're in a group and take a shit ton of damage and get melted.
Last edited by LeToot on Apr 9, 2022, 5:47:58 PM
@letoot, without looking at your character (change your setting pls) or POB, I can’t really help much but I can guess. I’m assuming you have Determination and Defiance Banner which will provides good amount of armour so that will take care of the physical damage (up to 90%), which is about half the dmg in game based on my experience.

The other two major dmg type are elemental and chaos. Chaos is less common and we’ll be good if we cap them (most just aim to have +ve), can ignore this if you’re doing CI.

So most of the time you should be dying to ele dmg, the 106% you have is uncapped res, it’s normally capped at 75% so 25% of the ele dmg will still go through. There are 2 ways to mitigate this, raise res cap (melding of flesh) or spell suppression. Either of those will make you much tankier.

Are you playing SSF? Do you have Aegis Aurora? If you have aegis Aurora you can try the melding of flesh route to go 88% all ele res. Otherwise it maybe more worthwhile to go spell suspension with Dex/Int gears. You won’t need more than 6/7K ES if you have high armor and ele mitigation (with aegis Aurora, or recover ES on block from rare shield)
@LeToot and @nZain

I would suggest joining Shaks discord. https://discord.gg/tkzCFtN

There are a lot of experienced cold players in his discord including me that will help you fix your issues and even modify your characters pob with suggestions.

For new players it's sometimes very hard to understand what defense and gear requirements to hit even with a POB.

Sometimes it just too many expectations from a new player that a build is tanky at all levels even when your lower level like 80-90 and running red tier maps. There are ton of map mods that will rekt you at lower levels when running red tier maps if you don't have the right defense or recovery. This is why most Hard-Core players run red tier maps blue.

(Personally, in a league start or when just leveling/building a character I just run red tier maps once for completion. Then red tier maps blue until 95 even in Soft Core, but I am fast leveler and can get to 95 in 2-3 days so I not behind in maps tiers usually doing this).

Don't expect to be as tanky in red tier maps as some of us who are level 96-100.

Biggest reminder for any new players coming to POE.
The developers intentionally designed this game to kill you unexpectedly even with a ton of defense eventually your going to die
Last edited by donbrawler on Apr 9, 2022, 9:27:51 PM
"
...I just run red tier maps once for completion. Then red tier maps blue until 95 even in Soft Core...

Interesting! Thanks for sharing. I'm 93 right now, testing my skills against the bosses for the first league. Carefully crafted maps are smooth and some of the bosses (searing exarch, inf hunger) went very well. Others (tried Elder for the 1st time) did not work out at all. I think that's ok, atually I'm still gathering crafting resources.. but exalts (for multi-mod) take forever in SSF, especially with influenced items dropping rarely.
"
nZain wrote:
"
...I just run red tier maps once for completion. Then red tier maps blue until 95 even in Soft Core...

Interesting! Thanks for sharing. I'm 93 right now, testing my skills against the bosses for the first league. Carefully crafted maps are smooth and some of the bosses (searing exarch, inf hunger) went very well. Others (tried Elder for the 1st time) did not work out at all. I think that's ok, atually I'm still gathering crafting resources.. but exalts (for multi-mod) take forever in SSF, especially with influenced items dropping rarely.

For exalts in SSF, try having expedition (tujen haggle) and harbinger on tree. I think heist is good too but Im not familiar because it’s not my cup of tea. The mirror treant assassin rejuvenating combo is good too, I probably get 1 exalt out of 3 of them. There were a few lucky ones where I got 2 exalts in one combo, sweet.

I’m going to start a SSF character after I get 40/40, another 100 maps (plus invitations) to go 😱
Last edited by hadc on Apr 10, 2022, 5:53:47 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info