Guide to Blight Towers

Bumping as this is actually really good information.
"

Worthy Annointments:
#1 - Your Chilling Towers freeze enemies for 0.2 seconds while they are affected by chilling beams
[..]
Annointment is extremely strong option to consider regardless of your strategy. Ability to permanently freeze any enemy including bosses simply trivializes the hardest parts of tower defence.

I'm not sure I get that part. If it freezes for 0.2 seconds, how does that permafreeze?
Or is that 0.2s freeze reapplied all the time without falling off?
"
Wissle wrote:
Spoiler
"

Worthy Annointments:
#1 - Your Chilling Towers freeze enemies for 0.2 seconds while they are affected by chilling beams
[..]
Annointment is extremely strong option to consider regardless of your strategy. Ability to permanently freeze any enemy including bosses simply trivializes the hardest parts of tower defence.

I'm not sure I get that part. If it freezes for 0.2 seconds, how does that permafreeze?

You answered your own question. Yes, tower constantly reapplies slow on all affected enemies. This is the only possible explaination. I checked it this interaction personally back in Blight league.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3053600 - My Guides
"
DankawSL wrote:
"
Wissle wrote:
Spoiler
"

Worthy Annointments:
[..]

You answered your own question. Yes, tower constantly reapplies slow on all affected enemies. This is the only possible explaination. I checked it this interaction personally back in Blight league.

Okay, thanks. Maybe I'm the only idiot who got confused about this, hehe.

But could you please consider adding that little statement to the explanation of the annoint? That the 0.2 second freeze gets reapplied periodically and thusly permafreezes?
"
Wissle wrote:

But could you please consider adding that little statement to the explanation of the annoint? That the 0.2 second freeze gets reapplied periodically and thusly permafreezes?

I don't think it's necessary, because that part already exists in annointment's description. Read very carefully:

Your Chilling Towers freeze enemies for 0.2 seconds while they are affected by chilling beams.

While they are affected = as long as they're affected. In case someone isn't sure (i also questioned it myself), i quickly confirm that annointment is capable of permafreezing.

If that was a one time event when enemies enter the range, the description would be incorrect. Not to mention the annointment would be completely pointless to use if that was the case.
Last edited by DankawSL on May 3, 2020, 11:37:35 AM
"
DankawSL wrote:
"
Wissle wrote:

I don't think it's necessary, because that part already exists in annointment's description. Read very carefully:

Your Chilling Towers freeze enemies for 0.2 seconds while they are affected by chilling beams.

While they are affected = as long as they're affected. In case someone isn't sure (i also questioned it myself), i quickly confirm that annointment is capable of permafreezing.

If that was a one time event when enemies enter the range, the description would be incorrect. Not to mention the annointment would be completely pointless to use if that was the case.

I would fully agree with all of that if it wasn't for the "for 0.2 seconds" part. If it permafreezes then that 0.2s is really useless, isn't it?
"
Your Chilling Towers freeze enemies while they are affected by chilling beams.

would be much clearer then.

That's why I say it's confusing the way it's phrased, you even said that you questioned it as well.

But you do you, if you don't want to add that clarification then so be it :)
It's been a while since i had to visit this guide. New Indigo Oil was added this league, so i took a look ring annointments (datamined by PoEDB). TL;DR all of them are pointless except for 3 combinations :

* Clear - Your Smothering Towers also grant 10% chance to be Frozen, Shocked and Ignited

...Not very useful. I think it's safe to assume Smothering Tower doesn't make enemies more vulnerable to ailments by default.

* Sepia - Your Flamethrower Towers have 20% chance to inflict Scorch
* Amber - Your Arc Towers have 20% chance to inflict Sap
* Verdant - Your Freezebolt Towers have 20% chance to inflict Brittle

Again, not very useful. Not only it's chance based, ailments are also dependant on damage dealt so none of them should be good against bosses. Normal enemies are best dead right away and it's very easy to do so.

* Teal - Your Temporal Towers also grant Stun Immunity
* Azure - Your Imbuing Towers also grant Onslaught

With proper setup, you won't need stun immunity because most enemies should die to towers anyway. No matter what, Imbuing Tower annointments inferior to Temporal Tower's 20% action speed. Both are should be ignored

* Indigo - Minions summoned by Your Sentinel Towers Leech 2% of Damage as Life
* Violet - Your Meteor Towers create Burning Ground for 3 seconds on Hit

Could be useful? Sentinel Tower is most likely a massive bait tho, because i don't recall it dealing a lot of damage. Burning Ground annointment is VERY interesting tho and i'll try to test it at certain point. It might deal a lot of damage and actually allow Meteor Tower to be used as a clearing skill (unlikely but possible).

* Crimson - Enemies Petrified by Your Stone Gaze Towers take 10% increased Damage
* Black - Minions summoned by Your Scout Towers inflict Malediction on Hit

Damage increase is negligible on towers that will almost never see use. Skip, no point.

* Opalescent - Cages created by Your Glacial Cage Towers are 20% larger

This one is funny. In theory it's makes this tower, in practice it's a hinderance. The larger the cage is, the further enemies advance further each Glacial Cage cycle. Pay to fail, literally.

* Silver - Your Lightning Storm Towers create Storms centred on Enemies

Potential. Lots of potential. I'm very interested to test how it performs. Problem with Lightning tower was low dps due random nature of this tower. Annointment changes everything. I don't think it's going to beat Arc Tower, but it might be somewhat competitive. Looking forward to it.

* Golden - Your Towers deal 10% increased Damage per Type of Tower Active

I had to read this annointment few times. It seems this is the first GLOBAL ANNOINTMENT for ALL TOWERS. Let me tell you, it's actually really, really strong. It should be stronger than double damage annoinment (yes, you read that correctly).

I think it's safe to assume "Tower Active" = you placed a tower. "Type" likely refers to Aura/Fire/Cold/Light/Phys/Minion category. Strategy uses all types except for minion tower, spending 100 resources to build lvl 1 minion tower is not a big deal. This combined should give 60% increased damage. Unless Empowering Tower also increases damage of towers (...why didn't i try testing it before?), this equals to more damage than Golden + Golden ring annointment.

Over the course of the league i'll try to test those 3 annointments (Indigo+Violet/Silver/Golden) and maybe make minor modifications if they're worth using. Also i might record better example videos, because current ones were recorded when i was still completing challenges in SSF league and used annointments that made towers stronger/cheaper.
Last edited by DankawSL on Jun 20, 2020, 6:08:17 AM
^So any updates from your tests using the new Indigo Oil? And thanks for your work. :)
Last edited by Exile009 on Jul 10, 2020, 3:16:50 PM
Nothing yet. Early on i didn't have oils and later i was occupied by "racing" to 100. Now i'm slowly levelling second character who i'll use to do some tests. I found over 30 blighted maps on the way so i have all the tools required for the job.

I tried out new Meteor tower enchantment with burning ground and my assumptions were correct so far, it is pretty good. All white and blue monsters just die to degen, rares sometimes go through like it's the case for other towers (mostly Flamethrower one). Tight spaces with limited paths are great for it, since you can set up chokepoints with seismic/chill towers and make Meteor towers serve both as single target and clear skill... but that was already a case before so not much has changed.

The problem arrives during blight encounters in maps. There's often multiple paths and usually you can place 1 Meteor tower at best. Effect is disappointing to say the least. I also expect this problem to appear in blight maps with open layout. Towers targetting random mob and causing leaks should be a common occurence until you have a lot towers. I'll test it soon along with Lightning Storm annointment.

My current verdict is that it's good enchantment, but not versatile enough. Keep in mind that fire resistance monsters should still force you to build lightning tower in the long run unless burning ground bypasses damage reduction somehow.

Next update on oils should be quicker since my character is lvl 90+ already. Also, 3x Amber blighted maps with 150+ awakening bonus are a complete joke. 75% reduced cost of towers means you can place 4 times as many... That's just broken.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info