[3.7] Chunky Chargrill Chieftain - Incinerate CwC Volatile Dead - [2x Demigod winning build]

"
I am really struggling in deep mapping. There are things that just 1 shot me. Most of the bosses I can do fine, but i will hit a pack of mobs and just DIE. Its gotten to the point where I have stopped gaining XP.

I've really tried to study the OP post, (I do have double mana flasks as this thing does get mana starved, maybe i can replace one of those.

I've tried upgrading defenses and it seems nothing is working. ANyone mind helping an old fella out?

I can still progress, its just feels wrong to be having 2-4 deaths per map.

--i should add the dmg is nuts. That;s my problem i am blazing along trying to keep fort up and then WHAM something kills me. And without a log to know what happened, i'm kinda clueless

"
balvix wrote:
Hey cell, if you have a sec, could you take a look at where im at in your build and let me know if im missing something? Dps is fantastic, but survivability is a major issue. I'm in T6 maps or so, and i die at least once per map and often 3-5 times even when i drop down to T5 or T4 maps. Usually it seems like a 1 shot so i have no time to react with flasks or anything. I'm thinking maybe if i get some better jewels like some added hp ones with some damage that might help a bit. I know Tabula isnt the best option but it works fine as far as i can tell, at least until i can afford a 6 link armor with some decent stats. It seems as tho my lvl progress has stopped, but perhaps im just not ready for t6 maps, who knows.

There are a couple of things to try out that I think should help.

If you feel you can drop an aura from damage over to the flesh and steel in sand stance that could feel pretty fantastic, I've run it on two builds so far this league and the difference against legion rares is absolutely huge.

Also try to progress the pantheon upgrades as much as you can if you haven't already, the Lunaris upgrades may seem small but always make a huge difference in projectile heavy content, previously incursions and in the more recent flashback while running triple beyond maps.

Mobility and positioning have always been key in this set up, if there is a bunch of three or more legion rares all with auras buffing each other then line of sighting around a corner and dropping corpses down with desecrate and sending the volatile dead balls on a seek and destroy mission has worked in those situations in previous content.

As for the straight up one shots, that's a huge problem for many many builds right now, and I think a lot of it is due to the thing I mentioned about legion rares giving buff auras to each other, amplifying their dangerous nature. How to overcome that is going to be a combination of some of the new tools available to us, such as the flesh and stone aura and the new guard skills. I would say levelling up your cast when damage taken to about 1/3 of your total health pool and going with immortal call if you want to sacrifice your endurance charges or steel skin if you don't. If all of your base gear is armour, then maybe going molten shell would be perfect. Haven't had chance to play with the new molten shell on any build yet, but people who are using it in the right set up seem to really rate it.

Vaal Grace for the times when you have to face down a ton of rares is one of the most powerful defensive buttons in the game too. I love it when you are pushing rippy content.

On a slightly different note, the desync this league is horrific for some people, after you die type /oos in chat and see if your corpse moves to another location. Sometimes your character is in a different spot on the server than it is on your screen. If this happens even the best play and positioning leaves you open to unseen peril. Can mostly be fixed by playing on lock step instead of predictive.

Edit:
Taking a look through some peoples gear I'm seeing very few utility flasks. It seems counter intuitive but one life flask is all you need.

This is copied from the bottom section of the main post so people may have missed it or think it applies to the very end game content because of how I worded some of it.

" I took a look at your gear and your flask game is easily the weakest link of your builds. Flasks in PoE are crucial. Go to a youtube vid or a stream of a player you respect as a good player and take a look only at their flasks when they are mapping/bossing. You see them hitting those flask cooldowns all the time, and not life flasks either. There is so much power, like TONS OF POWER in flasks that if you don't use then end game PoE is pretty much impossible even with absolute best in slot gear, that's how important flasks are. But like I say, don't take my word for that or think i'm personally using flasks as a crutch. Go take a look at any player playing real high end game PoE and look at their flask choices and go and actually watch how they use them.

I have a suggested flask setup for this build on the front page, that would be a great place to start. "

Flasks are simply the most powerful form of defence in PoE right now and have been for many years.

Think of them as defensive skills buttons with limited uses until recharged, almost like a skill rotation in an MMO or MOBA if you are familiar and experienced in those game genres.

I simply can't state the importance of flasks enough and fully appreciate that dropping the number of life flasks seems like the worst idea ever. But as I say in my own quote, don't take my word for it. Look at anyone where you can see them running content on any platform such as youtube or twitch and in maps the players who are doing the best are the ones with the ideal flask strats.
I stream daily at twitch.tv/CellTank
Last edited by Cellstorm on Jun 24, 2019, 9:12:58 AM
Second time I am running this build. The first was in Betrayal and it carried me to 90 without any issues and felt great even with delving so I'd like to say I am familiar with the mechanics of the build.

That said, I've come back to it in Legion and it seems as though it has a hard time dealing with the Legion mechanic since it relies almost entirely on Desecrate and I'll find I spend almost half the time setting up and the other half positioning myself to take on another portion of the battle field. Shattering a significant amount of the pack seems really hard.

Is there something I can do or a secondary skill I can equip to help shatter more mobs faster or will that gradually become less of an issue over time?
Last edited by Messerschmitt on Jun 24, 2019, 9:18:45 AM
"
Cellstorm wrote:

Wisdom

Thank you sir. I'll test some of those suggestions out and its good to know that (some of) what I am experiencing is not just me.

Like I said, I like to facetank, which is a no-no, but man those legions mobs were a PITA.

Finally got my uberlab unlocked and was going smooth till the bastard got me up against a trap and I couldn't slide out (phase 3 of course)--i literally melted ulab before that. A mighty F-bomb was dropped that shook the neighborhood. I am a really bad at movement and positioning. That's on my end. Shield charge is the bane of my existance.

edit: Switched out shield charge for leap slam (I always get stuck with SC), added my faster attacks gem that I had 'lost' and put in inventory. Laughed at Uberlab. Profit.

Can confirm, ran first part of lab with 0 enchants. dmg is fine. For now i slapped on grace and seems to be ok. Will experiment with other auras.
Last edited by crazyscientist592 on Jun 24, 2019, 7:25:26 PM
Hey,
thanks for the great build!
Just a few short questions.
Why you don't take Explosive Impact? It's on the path?
And would you recommed Cinderswallow Urn?
Why you don't take the Endurance Charge in the bottem left corner?
Cheers
"
Hey,
thanks for the great build!
Just a few short questions.
Why you don't take Explosive Impact? It's on the path?
And would you recommed Cinderswallow Urn?
Why you don't take the Endurance Charge in the bottem left corner?
Cheers

Explosive impact is an opportunity cost. By all means take it if you want to trim 3 points from elsewhere.
Taking the 3 points from "Divine Judgement" doesn't give a damage increase.
Taking the 3 points from "Breath of Flames" DOES give a very small dps increase, however let's looks at volatile dead. You gain about 120 damage per average hit but the ignite chance of all skills drops from 100% (not counting incinerate release stage) to 84%. The the difference in our fire damage between hitting an ignited enemy compared to an unignited enemy is just over 20%.
So taking Explosive Impact would have to come at the cost of some of the non damage nodes such as life, so this is when it would have to be your choice, there is never a right or wrong here, just what is right or wrong for you.

As for the cinderswallow flask, some people have tried it out and really rate it, I've never had one (SSF BTW) so I can't test it, and I never include anything that I haven't tried in one form or another.

Again with the endurance charge, it's an opportunity cost thing, it's not wrong to take it but you have to be prepared to give up something and for how the character has worked for me in the situations where I've pushed it the hardest I didn't find that charge worth it personally. I very much tweek my characters by feeling how they react in the game and not just on the fancy spread sheet that is PoB though, so by all means it could be something that works for other people to take that particular charge node.
So i was playing this build and have okayish gear nothing too great but even after the crapton of life i have i tend to get one shot a lot can you look through my build and recommend a few changes?
"
Iksskan wrote:
So i was playing this build and have okayish gear nothing too great but even after the crapton of life i have i tend to get one shot a lot can you look through my build and recommend a few changes?

A cast when damage taken levelled up to about 1/3 of your life pool combined with either of the guard skills (immortal call, steel skin, molten shell) would help a ton, which of the three you choose is up to you, there are pro's and cons to all.

You don't have fortify in any of your links, go with it on either shield charge or leap slam. Fortify is a massive 20% reduced damage taken from hits while active.

Going for the flesh and stone aura in sand stance is amazing defence for legion rares. Take a read of the big wall of text I posted a few posts above yours where I go into a lot of detail about the league mechanics and how they affect us.

This should help you a ton.
Hey thanks for the build! This is my second season playing poe and first time using this build. I've managed to get tier 16 maps down with this but now I'm struggling on how can I improve my gear setup. Wondering if someone more experienced would like to check my gear and hit me up with suggestions.

Thanks a lot for this guide! I've been enjoying the hell out of Legion! (:
Anyone here played both this build and the Dragon's Breath Chieftain? Which one better? The other build only use Incinerate.
Currently enjoying the build on HC Legion. Just got my first Elder kill with it and it was a breeze.

I am currently using a vaal Timeless jewel on a far jewel slot to get virtually free 2k Es due to our high life, which is awesome due to our dual leech (life and ES).

Great build and very fun to play, would recommend.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info