[3.10 HC] Apep's Darkpact Totems are BACK (original build 3.1-3.3)

what jewels do you use?
----
woops sorry didnt know u can see jewels
Last edited by lolyndasmu on Nov 7, 2017, 7:28:05 AM
Can you please make an updated post of your final gear and tree and choices on all items?
I'm finding a lot of conflicting information.
I'd love to test this on PC so I can play it on XBox, I play way better on XBox than I do on PC.
"Your grandchildren will awaken screaming in memory of what I utter today!"
- Path of Exile, Legacy Whispers of Doom Keystone
Re: Updating the build

So, I have now tried nearly a dozen different iterations of this build. Somehow it hasn't gotten old for me and I have leveled nearly all of them into the 80s or 90s. I haven't gone back and redone the build guide largely because I don't feel like there is a definitive variation--everything I have tried has had different pros and cons. All of the major ideas that had any functionality have been included in posts along the way. I feel like the core idea of the build is:
1. Hiero MOM
2. DP totems
3. Dual Apeps
4. Auxiliary damage multiplier(s) (Frenzies / Wither / Skellies / Other)
5. Decoy Totem

And every variant I've tried has been fun to play. I suspect the "best" variation was probably put together by Lysithea who was able to run the build all the way to 100 and posted their write-up relatively recently. (Within a page or two up from this post). I don't plan to go back and re-write the guide.

HOWEVER

I'll offer a list below of major variants I have tried with pros and cons for your consideration, and a link to the tree for my most recent variation. (Since I'm not sure I'm done testing yet)

1. Quad totems vs. Tri totems:
Spoiler
I wanted to get a feel for whether 4 totems was really important or not, so I tried a build without Ancestral bond, leveling with a single totem and going to only three totems post-cruel.
It wasn't as much worse as I expected but it was definitely somewhat slower clear and single target. This was most noticeable when using a decoy totem on bosses. I eventually abandoned the experiment in the mid eighties and took ancestral bond. Winner: Quad totems

2. Dark arts vs. Totemic Zeal:
Spoiler
7 steps to get that 20% dual wield cast speed seemed like a lot, but I tried a variant where I skipped Totemic Zeal and went to Dark Arts instead. Casting time on the totems was indeed slightly slower, but still perfectly reasonable at all levels (fine for doing guardians). Dps gets pushed up a little, all to the good. What I didn't expect was how much better it felt on defense. With Dark arts and dual apeps, Flame dash really starts to shine as an escape. Winner: Dark Arts

3. Frenzy vs. Wither/CWC/SKellies:
Spoiler
Having tried this both ways several times, I can say that I really do love having wither/CWC/Skellies for fighting bosses, but it can't be done brainlessly. Frenzy is easier to keep up for a moderate damage increase with safety. Wither is great if used judiciously but is also the most likely time to RIP if you choose the wrong moment or don't keep paying attention. Running both requires more concentration than I often have, but would likely be quite strong for someone more capable than I. All in all, if I have to choose, I give it to--- Winner: Wither/CWC/Summon Skellies

4. Devotos & Dream Fragments vs. Rares:
Spoiler
These are harder for me. The variants with Devotos and/or dream fragments run roughly 500-1.5k EHP less tanky, but have a significantly faster clear speed (for Devotos) and frees up a flask and eliminate worry about freezes (fragments). These choices more than any others I feel are really a matter of taste, as which one I prefer depends on my mood.
Put to the choice, I'd say I usually prefer the faster clear and extra flask slot as more fun. Winner: Devotos/Dream Fragments

5. Unwavering Stance+Lunaris+ vs. Brine King vs. No stun avoidance:
Spoiler
I have tried the build all three ways. No stun avoidance is the clear loser, as being stunned is one of the most common ways to rip. Brine King is sufficient for most purposes and definitely playable. Unwavering stance is a bit out of the way, but I admit that I feel it's worth the 3-4 extra nodes to take it (depending on pathing) There is a very noticeable defensive difference with far fewer close calls when using unwavering stance. Also, Lunaris is just a better all around Greater Deity than Brine King if you don't need stun avoidance. (The build in which I took this variant died ultimately to lag during a fight with abaxoth, which I was otherwise winning easily) Winner: Unwavering stance+Lunaris.

6.Soulmantle/Kikazarus/Self flagellation:
Spoiler
Yes, I broke down and tried it. Yes the offense is spectacular. Yes it gives up a _lot_ of durability. No, it wasn't really my favorite overall. Winner: Not Soulmantle.

Link to most recent variant:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUCAAHnA5oEBwRRBLMI9AthDF8OPBDMEQ8RLRRNFHEYkRo4HKcc3CcvKhMrJiycLKcy0ToWOlI6WDrhO-M8BTwtPV9DyET7RUdFnUlPSsRMLUyzTwRSU1NSU6VVxljlWfNaK1ugXl1fKmQJZlRmnmhaaGVo8mpDbRlxYnIPcql1KnaseGl7IHwOfEt8g4IHg1-DzIPbhTKGgooojxqQVZRvlnSXLZeVl_Sa4J_LogCj8qZXpzCnVaeUrJisqq9stz68n7yqvOrAZsMTxPbGrs9-0B_R_di92XzqGOvk6-7vfO_r8B_yRfPd9q73MviT-Ov8S_4K_oc=?accountName=Orion72&characterName=__Atheno__

Pastebin Link:
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/HS3qviaZ

Closing thoughts:

Not sure yet whether I will stick with DP totems or try something new in 3.1. It will really depend on what new skills they put out. My thanks again to the community for a really enjoyable season. The detailed discussion on this build has improved -my- experience of the game tremendously.

-Orion

Last edited by Orion72 on Nov 7, 2017, 12:29:13 PM
could you explain more about your skill gems? like why do you use frenzy and why some skills are kept at certain levels.
Quick Reply on skill Gems:

Frenzy is used to attack with wands to build frenzy charges. For more damage and cast speed.

Arcane surge is kept at whatever level allows it to proc every time we flame dash. This will vary slightly with your tree and ascendancies but will usually be from lvl 6-11.

Other level reduced gems are used with Cast When Damage Taken to make sure they work properly with the level CWDT you are using.

-O
Saw I've gotten some pms since 10days is coming up so I'll add some additional input, also added relevant info to my lvl100 update post on the previous page here.

Leveled as: Don't remember! Pick anything you like to lvl with until you get DP, preferably spell based if you don't have twink gear. At all points, during lvling especially, use a Decoy totem! It helps majorly versus any sort of icky fights.

Skilltree: Go towards MoM, finish out the mana cluster behind it and then head towards Ancestral Bonds. Grab some nice clusters on the way until you get DP and can go dual totems with it. Eventually get a secondary 3link with cwcwitherskele to use on bosses, if possible add minionlife. At this point it's smooth sailing and you can chose what you feel you need the most. Once you get 4totems you shouldn't have any issue at all, especially not once you equip dual Apeps.. then it gets a bit silly how easy it is to progress. Bandits should be 2skillpoints and as for Pantheon I chose Lunaris and Ralakesh

Gear: During lvling, no real requirements. I'd get a Tabula or any other crap 6l with the correct colors and stack res/hp and some mana on the other pieces. I didn't care about offensive stats during lvling since at that point it's mostly based on gemlvl and the flatdmg from Added Chaos and the Apeps. Get Apeps equipped as soon as possible, lvlreq62. Compensate with some resist auras if you're really struggling on gear.

"
Orion72 wrote:

Spoiler
7 steps to get that 20% dual wield cast speed seemed like a lot, but I tried a variant where I skipped Totemic Zeal and went to Dark Arts instead. Casting time on the totems was indeed slightly slower, but still perfectly reasonable at all levels (fine for doing guardians). Dps gets pushed up a little, all to the good. What I didn't expect was how much better it felt on defense. With Dark arts and dual apeps, Flame dash really starts to shine as an escape. Winner: Dark Arts

Spoiler
I have tried the build all three ways. No stun avoidance is the clear loser, as being stunned is one of the most common ways to rip. Brine King is sufficient for most purposes and definitely playable. Unwavering stance is a bit out of the way, but I admit that I feel it's worth the 3-4 extra nodes to take it (depending on pathing) There is a very noticeable defensive difference with far fewer close calls when using unwavering stance. Also, Lunaris is just a better all around Greater Deity than Brine King if you don't need stun avoidance. (The build in which I took this variant died ultimately to lag during a fight with abaxoth, which I was otherwise winning easily) Winner: Unwavering stance+Lunaris.

2. Speed freak as I am I really tried to get Dark Arts working in my tree but I just couldn't find the points. My tendency to gear for whenever the stars align against me weighs heavier and %ehp + good jewels is just too much to give up. Spending points into DA is probably a better investment before you get worthwhile jewels however.

5. UW should definitely be a consideration for anyone that chose to run any other armor but Cherrubims. Infact I wouldn't recommend Cherrubims at all for 10days mostly due to the dexreq issues. As for pantheon, Lunaris is the way to go, I've seen way too many people rip to projectiles chained onto minions and whatnot.

Last edited by Lysithea on Nov 7, 2017, 3:50:14 PM
"
Lysithea wrote:
Saw I've gotten some pms since 10days is coming up so I'll add some additional input, also added relevant info to my lvl100 update post on the previous page here.

Leveled as: Don't remember! Pick anything you like to lvl with until you get DP, preferably spell based if you don't have twink gear. At all points, during lvling especially, use a Decoy totem! It helps majorly versus any sort of icky fights.

Skilltree: Go towards MoM, finish out the mana cluster behind it and then head towards Ancestral Bonds. Grab some nice clusters on the way until you get DP and can go dual totems with it. Eventually get a secondary 3link with cwcwitherskele to use on bosses, if possible add minionlife. At this point it's smooth sailing and you can chose what you feel you need the most. Once you get 4totems you shouldn't have any issue at all, especially not once you equip dual Apeps.. then it gets a bit silly how easy it is to progress. Bandits should be 2skillpoints and as for Pantheon I chose Lunaris and Ralakesh

Gear: During lvling, no real requirements. I'd get a Tabula or any other crap 6l with the correct colors and stack res/hp and some mana on the other pieces. I didn't care about offensive stats during lvling since at that point it's mostly based on gemlvl and the flatdmg from Added Chaos and the Apeps. Get Apeps equipped as soon as possible, lvlreq62. Compensate with some resist auras if you're really struggling on gear.

"
Orion72 wrote:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2. Speed freak as I am I really tried to get Dark Arts working in my tree but I just couldn't find the points. My tendency to gear for whenever the stars align against me weighs heavier and %ehp + good jewels is just too much to give up. Spending points into DA is probably a better investment before you get worthwhile jewels however.

5. UW should definitely be a consideration for anyone that chose to run any other armor but Cherrubims. Infact I wouldn't recommend Cherrubims at all for 10days mostly due to the dexreq issues. As for pantheon, Lunaris is the way to go, I've seen way too many people rip to projectiles chained onto minions and whatnot.

thanks for the detailed explanations
i have a few noob questions,
1. summon skellies or vaal skellies?
2. seems like you dont self cast decoy totem, is it only for high level maps?
"
lolyndasmu wrote:

thanks for the detailed explanations
i have a few noob questions,
1. summon skellies or vaal skellies?
2. seems like you dont self cast decoy totem, is it only for high level maps?

Normal summon skeleton.
Cwdt dont work with totems, it just happens to be in the same link. Selfcasted.
Last edited by Lysithea on Nov 8, 2017, 4:45:21 AM
is there a minimum chaos resist needed for this build?
Re Chaos res:

Not exactly, but if you want to use Forbidden taste (highly recommended) your combined Chaos res and life/mana regen should be enough that you don't degen life (and ideally not mana either) after hitting the flask. Since needed chaos res will vary depending on how much regen you have, there isn't a hard number. Just test by hitting the flask while in your hideout. I believe I have made it work with as little as -20 chaos.

-O

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info