[3.8] LiftingNerdBro's Tri/Quad Frostbolt Totems Hierophant - Strong League Starter!

I've been playing around with the skill gems in PoB and it shows Elemental Focus outperforming Faster Casting substantially in that 6L (+48% per hit, or +27% on DPS). Is there any reason one wouldn't run Focus if the idea is to 1 shot packs? I suppose the analogy is shotgun vs a submachine gun? :D

EDIT: Ah, I see no status ailments with Focus so thats why. I ticked off Chilled on PoB and there's the big difference in DPS comparison.
Last edited by poejacleu on Jan 11, 2018, 3:52:53 AM
Cast When Damage Taken (lvl 9), Immortal Call (lvl 10), Flame Golem (lvl 10) & Increased Duration (max lvl)

why ?
i saw other builds and cast when damage taken was left at lvl 1 AND imoortal call at lvl 3...
Hi fellow Templars.

First of all; This build is a lot of fun without being too squishy.
I'm kinda new to PoE so that's quite a good deal.

But there's one question left; As for the passive skillpoints, we invest a lot into crit chance.
However, doesn't CDS counter that crit and make those invested skillpoints useless?

Pretty sure if missed something. Would be great to get a short explanation. Cheers! :)
"
Bahlkong wrote:
Hi fellow Templars.

But there's one question left; As for the passive skillpoints, we invest a lot into crit chance.
However, doesn't CDS counter that crit and make those invested skillpoints useless?

Pretty sure if missed something. Would be great to get a short explanation. Cheers! :)

This thread best explains it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/4o14wz/question_why_controlled_destruction_with/

And if you use PoB, and go into calculations, you can see how CD works with crit bonuses. It doesn't remove 100% of crit chance, just reduces by 100%.
"
poejacleu wrote:
"
Bahlkong wrote:
Hi fellow Templars.

This thread best explains it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/4o14wz/question_why_controlled_destruction_with/

And if you use PoB, and go into calculations, you can see how CD works with crit bonuses. It doesn't remove 100% of crit chance, just reduces by 100%.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks, buddy.
So, if I for example have 150% CC, CDS will only lower it to 50%, instead of removing "100%".

Cheers, kind sir.
I was looking at the gem links posted in the guide vs the gear linked. Both Projectile weakness and Frostbite are displayed depending where you look. Which is better?

Also, watching the game play I never actually saw you casting any curses. Would you suggest linking them with blasphemy to make an additional aura along side clarity?

Using a 6L chest what gems should I be using?
Last edited by Dilfing_Hard on Jan 15, 2018, 8:17:04 PM
This has been my only character so far this league and I've just hit level 88. I'm currently wrecking T9s and T10s and having a lot of fun. I believe I'm able to do all the bosses, as well as unique maps, that I've encountered so far. These new Abyss Jewels are pretty overpowered and some of them work great with this build in my opinion. I keep waiting to run into a brick wall and not be able to do bosses, but it hasn't happened yet. Hopefully, it never does, but I have a feeling red maps might be tough when I get to them soon.

I've got about 200 chaos into this character, however, I was able to farm up that currency with some very poor gear to start with. This really is a great league starter of a build. If you start mid-league though you can look for - A 4L Sire of Shard, that mana Atziri amulet, and that unique max-mana/mana-regen/anti-freeze ring, all provide really good synergy with this build and are VERY CHEAP.

Here is my gear so far and you can check out my gem-links in the items to see how my play-style is different than the OP --

5.2K HP / 230 ES / 2600(1750 unreserved) Mana.
180 Mana Regen, 91 Life Regen -- 130/84/85/2 Resistances -- 1.3k Armour, 1k evasion.
34k DPS in the hideout with Golem and Herald of Ice / 28k DPS in hideout with 4 totems, Golem, HOI.
29% crit chance and 410% crit multiplier.

I pretty much just run around and click frostbolt totem without any care in the world. I try to keep up my frostbite curse and sometimes I remember to use my Vaal Skills. I'm not too good about keeping my flask up either. This build is pretty idiot proff and my little tweaks make it very lazy playstyle too :).

Honestly, hats off the build creator, OP you did a great job. I couldn't remember the last time I've died and I'm pretty reckless. I've had a ton of fun this league so far through 88 levels.

Nice guide Lifting. THANKS !

Last edited by Ahutz on Jan 26, 2018, 11:30:23 PM
And so i have some to add to your buid. Firstly it is Cold Snap instead Flame Golem in chest. You have left sockets in other items to put it in, like in Orb of Storms setup. Then, change belt on abyssal. It is better anyway. In helmet you can easily add another setup, if dont want more abilities just with CWDT 1 and something. Curse, Vortex. But this if you ubercharge build. First and Second just important.
I added a second taryn's on swap and have gc totem setup there to deal with bosses, I also swap the threshold gems on bosses. Works beautifully so far.
I've been playing this build for a few weeks now and I don't understand how you get 120k DPS? I have very similar gear but my DPS is only at around 60k and I just can't figure out why. I've been fiddling around with PoB but I can't see where your extra damage is coming from. I have all the same uniques, same sockets, rares are almost the same but still only half the DPS. Can someone help me out here please? :/

Edit:

I noticed something while fiddling around with PoB, if you remove Ritual of Awakening and replace it with Sanctuary of Thought you get around a 40% DPS boost along with a very nice chunk of Energy Shield and pretty much unlimited mana, is that really right, or am I doing something wrong? If so wouldn't it be worth going with 2 totems instead of 4?
Last edited by Aitrops on Jan 29, 2018, 2:39:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info