Mechanical Questions Thread

"
poikende wrote:
How does increased item rarity work?
If I had 7000 normal(70%), 2500 magic(25%), 450 rare(4,5%) and 50 unique(0,5%) items dropped at 0% increased rarity, how does 100% inc rarity affect that? What about 500%?

Hello there.
The only thing we know for sure is that the relation between IIR and actual rarity of dropped items isn't linear, so the more IIR you have, the less effective it becomes (diminishing return).
As for the actual fomula, only GGG could answer, but i believe they want to keep us in the dark about that.
For what it's worth, i remember having seen some pretty serious tests, where it was concluded that the diminishing return becomes significant above around 200%, after what you get better results by investing on kill rate instead.
Cheers.
PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE EXPECTING A REPLY
Last edited by xhul on Sep 8, 2020, 5:54:06 PM
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2873295
"
Leech passives give much more total recovery per second for life leech than before, so reaching maximum leech is much easier for slow attacks and two handed attacks with some accessible investment.

did anything change mechanically, or just more leech nodes?
ive been reading on the wiki(https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Leech) to try and understand how leech works these days. if the info is up to date, there are apparently 3 bottlenecks limiting how much life you can leech.

1. maximum recovery per life leech
default 10% of max life per leech effect. there are apparently no ways to increase this limit in the game right now. scion's slayer ascendancy has a 50% reduction.

2. total recovery per second from life leech
default 2% of max life per second per leech effect. this is the modifier mentioned in the manifesto that was added to more passives.

3. maximum total recovery per second from life leech
default 20% of max life per second for all leech effects combined. I think this is the only one most people are familiar with as the others are irrelevant with typical hit frequency.

the modifier they made available is the second one. You can now get 400% "increased total recovery per second" by taking Martial Experience, Lust for Carnage AND Hematophagy clusters if you really want to. That would put you at 10% life per second per leech, which is also the cap of the first modifier.

What I don't understand is what the first modifier actually does. If I'm a scion, are all the new nodes useless because I can't get above the 5% cap per leech anyways? The wiki says it determines leech duration factored with the second modifier, but links to old dev posts that use different wording and only ever talk about #2 and #3.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/3a0818/cb_vitality_void_leech_cluster/cs99982/
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1431325/page/1#p11773119
IGN: Torrenz
Nemesis Shop: view-thread/634031
"
Torrenz wrote:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2873295
"
Leech passives give much more total recovery per second for life leech than before, so reaching maximum leech is much easier for slow attacks and two handed attacks with some accessible investment.

did anything change mechanically, or just more leech nodes?
ive been reading on the wiki(https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Leech) to try and understand how leech works these days. if the info is up to date, there are apparently 3 bottlenecks limiting how much life you can leech.

1. maximum recovery per life leech
default 10% of max life per leech effect. there are apparently no ways to increase this limit in the game right now. scion's slayer ascendancy has a 50% reduction.

2. total recovery per second from life leech
default 2% of max life per second per leech effect. this is the modifier mentioned in the manifesto that was added to more passives.

3. maximum total recovery per second from life leech
default 20% of max life per second for all leech effects combined. I think this is the only one most people are familiar with as the others are irrelevant with typical hit frequency.

the modifier they made available is the second one. You can now get 400% "increased total recovery per second" by taking Martial Experience, Lust for Carnage AND Hematophagy clusters if you really want to. That would put you at 10% life per second per leech, which is also the cap of the first modifier.

What I don't understand is what the first modifier actually does. If I'm a scion, are all the new nodes useless because I can't get above the 5% cap per leech anyways? The wiki says it determines leech duration factored with the second modifier, but links to old dev posts that use different wording and only ever talk about #2 and #3.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/3a0818/cb_vitality_void_leech_cluster/cs99982/
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1431325/page/1#p11773119

"Total recovery per second from life leech" does not affect the actual size of the leech instance, but how much you recover from a single leech instance.

Normally, you recover at a rate of 2% per second, however with 100% increased total recovery per second from life leech, you recover 4%. If the size of your leech instance was 4%, it will still be 4% with that stat, and it wills till last two seconds rather than one.

So while reduced maximum recovery per life leech lowers the size of the life leech instance and thus its duration, increased total recovery per second from life leech is still useful to be able to reach the maximum total recovery per second from life leech with fewer instances. This is especially worth considering because shorter leech instances means that you will have fewer leech instances in sustained dps scenarios.

Here is a comment of Mark explaining the mechanics for reference.
"
Here is a comment of Mark explaining the mechanics for reference.

thank you
that's even more convoluted than I thought, but at least it means that scion's halved maximum recovery per leech can be counteracted by the "total recovery per second" nodes a little bit even with slow hits

I would've expected them to solve this problem by streamlining leech instead of making players spend points, I don't see the point of biasing it this much against slow hits in particular now that they're finally semi-viable. a leftover from coc discharge days maybe
Hello i have a question about crits and ignite. On the crit page of the wiki (https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Critical_strike) it says:

"Ailments have a base 150% multiplier when applied by a critical strike. The only way to increase the critical strike multiplier on ailments is with the Perfect Agony keystone."

If I remember correctly that info was also on the ignite page, but it's not anymore. I searched a bit but I couldn't find any source for this (like patch notes, for example). However, on the "Damage Over Time Changes - Part 2" manifesto (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1894471/page/1) it says:

"Your Critical Damage Multiplier will now not influence Poison, Bleeding and Ignite damage, as a result of these ailments no longer being based on the final damage of your hit. Instead, players and monsters now have a property called Damage Multiplier for Ailments from Critical Strikes, which boosts the damage of Ignite, Poison and Bleed caused by critical strikes."

Which alludes to the existence of this 150% multiplier, but nothing concrete. Also, on the 3.8 patch notes it says:

"Perfect Agony now causes modifiers to Critical Strike Multiplier to apply to Damage over Time Multiplier for Ailments from Critical Strikes at 50% of their value, rather than 30% previously. This is now additive with other sources of Damage over Time multiplier, however."

And that doesn't seem to have changed since. One other thing are the clusters for Searing Heat and Dire Torment, which gives:

"+x% to Damage over Time Multiplier for Ignite/Ailments from Critical Strikes"

Now my questions are: Is there really an inherent multiplier for ignites applied by crits? Then, which of these multipliers (150% from crit, crit multi + Perfect Agony, +x% to Damage over Time Multiplier for Ignite/Ailments from Critical Strikes) are addtive with "+x% to Damage over Time Multiplier" and which (if any) are multiplicative? If more than one is multiplicative, are they additive between themselves?
"
Polymila wrote:
Hello i have a question about crits and ignite. On the crit page of the wiki (https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Critical_strike) it says:

"Ailments have a base 150% multiplier when applied by a critical strike. The only way to increase the critical strike multiplier on ailments is with the Perfect Agony keystone."

If I remember correctly that info was also on the ignite page, but it's not anymore. I searched a bit but I couldn't find any source for this (like patch notes, for example). However, on the "Damage Over Time Changes - Part 2" manifesto (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1894471/page/1) it says:

"Your Critical Damage Multiplier will now not influence Poison, Bleeding and Ignite damage, as a result of these ailments no longer being based on the final damage of your hit. Instead, players and monsters now have a property called Damage Multiplier for Ailments from Critical Strikes, which boosts the damage of Ignite, Poison and Bleed caused by critical strikes."

Which alludes to the existence of this 150% multiplier, but nothing concrete. Also, on the 3.8 patch notes it says:

"Perfect Agony now causes modifiers to Critical Strike Multiplier to apply to Damage over Time Multiplier for Ailments from Critical Strikes at 50% of their value, rather than 30% previously. This is now additive with other sources of Damage over Time multiplier, however."

And that doesn't seem to have changed since. One other thing are the clusters for Searing Heat and Dire Torment, which gives:

"+x% to Damage over Time Multiplier for Ignite/Ailments from Critical Strikes"

Now my questions are: Is there really an inherent multiplier for ignites applied by crits? Then, which of these multipliers (150% from crit, crit multi + Perfect Agony, +x% to Damage over Time Multiplier for Ignite/Ailments from Critical Strikes) are addtive with "+x% to Damage over Time Multiplier" and which (if any) are multiplicative? If more than one is multiplicative, are they additive between themselves?

You have an inherent "+50% damage over time multiplier for ailments from critical strikes". This stat stacks additively with other applicable sources of damage over time multiplier. It is not exclusively gained from Perfect Agony either, but is available from the Dire Torment cluster between Witch and Shadow and as well as some cluster jewel notables.
"
You have an inherent "+50% damage over time multiplier for ailments from critical strikes". This stat stacks additively with other applicable sources of damage over time multiplier. It is not exclusively gained from Perfect Agony either, but is available from the Dire Torment cluster between Witch and Shadow and as well as some cluster jewel notables.

I see, thank you for the answer. I was hoping that was not the case because then I don't see much point in building crit ignite and I think that's a shame =/.
Is there any way to cancel out the aesthetic effect of bone armour? It does my head in, no point using any MTX.
since the bone nova on uul-netols embrace was changed to come from enemies instead of you, does that mean it won't hit the enemy it triggered from anymore?
Hello there,

I have a question about upcoming Hexblast skill gem.

It was mentioned it deals chaos damage but can also do elemental. If I understand correctly, this elemental damage applies every time according to lowest enemy elemental resistance? Or it is calculated from EVERY resistance, which would mean if enemy has lowest chaos resistance, it deals pure chaos? I would like to make this spell to pure chaos because of elemental reflect.

Thanks in advance.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info