Caustic Arrow

"

Iron Grip doesn´t affect the cloud damage for similar reasons as Point Blank:

The increase to Physical Damage from Strength applies to Projectile Attacks as well as Melee Attacks

It´s specific damage (physical damage + also labeled attack) and only general or non-specific damage works on the cloud damage of PA (e.g.: +x% increased projectile damage ; +x% increased damage) In the next patch they will also add chaos damage passives which will also work on PA´s cloud (which GGG should have introduced together with the DoT changes :-( ).

Right, not sure how I missed that! It was like 3am on the east coast so I guess i was way too tired to be thinking straight.

As for linking PA to traps(or remote mine), anything does more damage because of the multiplier but you will actually lose a lot of dps for PA because of the trap/mine cd.

If you wanted a pure chaos build you would maybe use two PA skills, one with trap>PA>inc AoE>inc duration>slow projectile>faster projectile to clear packs of mobs with large poison clouds. The other would be PA>conc effect>added chaos damage w/ quality>faster projectile>Faster attacks>Added fire damage, using a high physical damage bow PA will have an insane amount of dps and degen.

I'm going for something like this in my next PA build. Focusing on only getting enough damage nodes early on so that PA cloud is as strong as it was before 1.0.2 and getting tank nodes settled first so I don't RIP in Lunaris cruel again.

People seem to overlook that the arrow hit on PA is +30-49% EXTRA chaos damage and the skill has a damage effectiveness of 100%. This is chaos damage we are talking about also, it can't be reflected and least resisted in the game.
two different ways to pump poison arrow:
1) focus on the cloud. this is via con effect, added chaos' quality, culling strikes' "increased [all] damage", and the vulnerability curse.
2) focus on the actual hit. this is done same way as most other bow attacks. point blank, iron grip, risking a multi projectile chain.

multi projectile and chaining are bad on the cloud. point blank and iron grip doens't work on the cloud.

this leaves the fun part no one considered mine support+trap support or totem support. while totem support lowers damage, it's a separate source of damage that you can team up with. mine + trap combo is a great damage boost for cost of delayed execution and AoE from foes might stop it midway. 1.5 * 1.4 * (all other damage boosts) * both cloud and hit damage = yay. lv 16 or 17 of that combo even enables totem support to deal full listed damage and then a bit more if you decide on that. use concentrated effect for funny pushing of multipliers.
conc effect NOT BOOSTED THE CLOUD ffs. Can you understand that? As well like Point Blank and Chin Sol. So right now is USELLESS SKILL like Searing bond and Viper strike. Welcome to real world.
Aaron Ciccheli, a guy who made millions running Diablo and PoE RMT sites, owns a significant portion of GGG. How's that for a conflict of interest? 7.5% of your supporter pack money goes to this guy.
For Conc, did you actually shoot monsters with it, or did you just read the description? It works.

Point Blank and Chin Sol's bonus explicitly apply to Attacks; Damage over Time is neither Attack nor Spell.
EDIT: actually, Chin Sol reads Bow Damage. Huh. I always thought it said Bow Attack Damage for some reason. Not sure what the ruling on that is then.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Dec 7, 2013, 10:24:06 AM
Yeah con effect increases the cloud damage, I just tested it. On merc beach the cloud of my PA does take away half the damage of a zombie, with con effect it does take away 75%. But as said, yet the increased damaged is not displayed in the skill description (but the decreased aoe is).
Last edited by merchantmudcrab on Dec 7, 2013, 10:22:13 AM
"
Pibadi wrote:
conc effect NOT BOOSTED THE CLOUD ffs. Can you understand that? As well like Point Blank and Chin Sol. So right now is USELLESS SKILL like Searing bond and Viper strike. Welcome to real world.

Poison arrow cloud damage magic against ancient archer, with conc effect.
Spoiler

Poison arrow cloud damage against magic ancient archer, without conc effect
Spoiler

Both monsters were at 100% HP
Screenshots were taken at the same location and seconds apart
The same weapons and armor and passives were used for both shots
The only difference between the shots is with and without conc effect
The monsters are identical
Conc effect works with poison arrow cloud damage
The End.
Edit: already addressed in thread
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Last edited by mazul on Dec 10, 2013, 8:42:11 PM
Also there is no logical reason for why the basic effect of "added chaos damage" doesn't affect poison arrow, while the quality effect from it does effect it.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Last edited by mazul on Dec 10, 2013, 8:28:02 PM
Copying from my theorycrafting thread:

"

Hmmm...

Current Tree:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAF4B5wR-BS0F-QguFCAUcRXwGNsZjhpVIWAi6iW8MgE26DpYQKBBqkkTSn1QR1KvVvpbr2BLYSFko2egZ_x0QXTtdPF313rvfXV_K4TvhxmHdongkAqTH5cGmyabjZu1o4qnMK1Kshm7TbvjwzrEos0mz3rTftaK3Q3dX9-_5ljo1usU7YPuDu96_MX-ug==

Current damage on my PA is 386.8 with LMP is 386.8 tooltip on the poison cloud. Conc does not change this while removing LMP specifically changes the listed chaos per second number. Assuming conc does actually work, (61% at my current level of poison arrow) I have an actual damage of 621 per second with a lvl '18' poison arrow.

I ran outside in act 2 merc to test it. It kills normal mobs at a 'reasonable' speed I guess. But consider that its a lvl 18 poison arrow in a act 2 merciless arrow, its still very very low. Then I ran into a rare bandit with life regeneration/resist chaos. It was the most PAINFUL experience ever. Even with vulnerability on the mob, it took forever to kill it, like, 4 minutes to kill...

Poison arrow seems okay vs everything else, but the sheer time it takes to kill regen mobs with this could be very bad and make it not so viable.

Not to mention, fricken 99 life per attack cost, jesus christ... thats absolutely ridiculous. I really think poison arrow needs a mana cost reduction. I could do the same if not more damage with Rain of Arrows at like not even half of the mana cost of poison arrow.

Anything with resist chaos renders poison arrow almost 100%useles for a DoT build...
Last edited by Waves_blade on Dec 11, 2013, 2:25:23 AM
So, after two patches the conclusion is:

No matter what you do (a LOT of nodes, conc. effect, trap , +3 bow+ empower), the clod DoT dps is ABSOLUTE CRAP.

I really suggest we make a charity event to fund some math lessons for GGG.
Last edited by Lichalfred on Dec 11, 2013, 2:31:51 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info