[3.4] "Size doesn't matter" - Double Strike Tank Guide [HC] Atziri/Izaro/Guardians/Shaper/Elder

"
Started this build SSF and so far (level 45, act 5) it's a nightmare to play.

I have DS socketed in a 4-link with melee ph.d, chance to bleed and AC.
Trash clearing is very annoying. I suppose it's because I desperately need melee splash, but RNG has not blessed me with a 5-link and I gave up on farming Humility in Aqueduct after not getting a single card in 50 runs and almost going insane :)

So far not a single unique stat stick dropped.

Not sure I can recommend this build to anyone as a league starter in SSF.

I'm having serious doubts continuing this build or not as I am more frustrated than having fun.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this build is bad, it just feels bad as a SSF league starter when you are not RNG blessed.

If anyone has any motivational words for me I'll be glad to read them :)

I used DS/Melee Dmg/Melee Splash for good effect in clearing. Get a good mainhand sword. Flat dmg > all for what I understand. I used a trash sword for about 20 levels and no-death on Templar boss (he always frustrates me).
For everyone trying this out right now, I'd highly recommend leveling with smite.
great build i just died at lvl 61 :( still good my mistake it was
Hello guys,

-with a 5L armor which gem i need to exclude ?

-I've linked BloodR+Enduri.C+Increased dur.
and AW totem like this, could be usefull ?

thank you <3
Last edited by JamesDiMaio on Sep 4, 2018, 7:22:07 PM
For everyone starting league with this build:

Build is ok, its nothing extra crazy in terms of damage right now (lvl 76) but survivability is amazing

Few tips:

Gearing:
- After taking Unbreakable ascendancy point as a Juggernaut from cruel lab, start looking for high armour gear (body armor for example) since your armour is doubled thanks to the ascendancy you will quickly get above 7000 arm easily and it will raise your survivability insanely.
- If you somehow missed that don't forget that Double strike is using only your main hand weapon, your off-hand weapon is just a stat stick. Upgrade your main hand weapons as stated in the guide and you will be ok. For off-hand i guess its your choice, in end game you will eventually get some good rare stat stick. Relentless fury is good as a off-hand thanks to the culling strike.
- Don't hurry for the Abyssus helm, yes its very good helm for this build thanks to crit etc. but i feel like there are other important things you should look for before spending your money on Abyssus (even tho its less than 10c now).. this is basically tip for players that are slow in making money and struggle with chaos orbs.. Get yourself some good looking 5l body armor with 1000+ armour so you can farm easily without dying, cap your ressistances and then start buying whatever you want

Leveling:
- Dolmur said above that he highly recommends leveling with smite, i dont know about that, ive used cleave but only to like level 20, after that i switched to double strike and never used anything else. I guess it really depends on gear
- I highly recommend doing merciless lab before killing a10 kitava, if youre not capable of doing that, either farm in blood aquaducts to level 75 or buy carry.

Skills:
- If youre using whirling blades as a movement skill, switch to leap slam when doing labyrinth, its better in terms of dodging traps
- Use ancestral protector and then Ancestral warchief alot at low lvls, at high lvls i use it only on boss
- At first use "Clear speed" version of double strike for everything, find yourself a 4L with 1 green and 3 red and link your double strike with support gems, dont use increased critical strike until you aquire Fatal Blade or more crit nodes, i actually started using inc crit stirke gem even later, after taking melee cluster on the left side of skill tree (Disemboweling node)
- Also dont forget to use your ice golem, it will die alot but it will help you alot
- I used the "clear speed" for everything to lvl 75, then i added 4L version of double strike as a main boss killing skill (single target) and its a huge upgrade when killing bosses

So if youre struggling in terms of damage, dont reroll, dont quit this build, it will eventually get stronger and stronger, trust me.
Last edited by RoproCZE on Sep 4, 2018, 7:45:44 PM
Build looks awesome!
Last edited by RunForTheLoot on Sep 4, 2018, 11:13:25 PM
"
RoproCZE wrote:

Build is ok, its nothing extra crazy in terms of damage right now

Get a higher base APS mainhand sword, something like a Dreamfeather. Ditch the Relentless Fury for Tempestuous Steel. You lose the onslaught, but that is more than made up for a mainhand weapon having 40% more base attack speed (and also 30% phys as extra ele from Temp).

For your clear, ditch Chance to Bleed, it simply isn't needed after you've picked up the Razor's Edge Cluster. In place of it use Melee Phys. Also ditch Inc Crit and use Maim or Multistrike.

For your single target setup, ditch Inc Crit Strikes immediately, it's like the 10th best damage gem for DS with this tree. (Inc Crit can *maybe* smooth out clear, but there are gems that just provide so much better consistent clear damage.

I really disagree with the OP using Inc Crit strikes anywhere, because it's just such a lackluster gem for this build. Double Strike does ridiculous base damage, and the best way to build around ridiculous base damage attacks is with %more scaling supports, and THEN scaling THAT by high crit weapons, tree crit, and diamond flasks. Inc Crit only really makes sense for scaling inconsistent spells, adding base crit to spells without it, and/or spells that already have high crit capabilities. For Double Strike, %more phys and melee supports are far better.

For your setup, your clear should be DS, Ancestral Call, Melee Splash, Melee Physical, and Mulstrike or Maim.

For Single Target (you have it in a 4l)
Double Strike, Bloodlust, Melee Phys, Ruthless

In PoB with my changes your Clear dps goes from 45k to 83k, and your single target goes from 105k to 137k.

Clear speed will also be far better, and your Whirling Blades speed will feel amazing.

Source: I've ran every conceivable variety of Double Strike, and have ran at least 2 or 3 different variations every league for the last 4 leagues.
Last edited by Xanthochroid on Sep 5, 2018, 2:47:17 AM
@Xanthochroid:

Thank you for your detailed review of the build, it is very useful since I am leveling up with it!

I am just a bit confused with the mainhand/offhand weapon choice. Are you saying that dreamfeather should be the mainhand and the tempestuos steel on the offhand?

Cheers!
I am using the princess as my off hand. Gives 30%extra phys gained as cold damage.

Anyone knows if bloodseeker claw would be strong on this build?? Allot of leech znd fecent dps?
"
Xanthochroid wrote:
"
RoproCZE wrote:

Build is ok, its nothing extra crazy in terms of damage right now

Get a higher base APS mainhand sword, something like a Dreamfeather. Ditch the Relentless Fury for Tempestuous Steel. You lose the onslaught, but that is more than made up for a mainhand weapon having 40% more base attack speed (and also 30% phys as extra ele from Temp).

For your clear, ditch Chance to Bleed, it simply isn't needed after you've picked up the Razor's Edge Cluster. In place of it use Melee Phys. Also ditch Inc Crit and use Maim or Multistrike.

For your single target setup, ditch Inc Crit Strikes immediately, it's like the 10th best damage gem for DS with this tree. (Inc Crit can *maybe* smooth out clear, but there are gems that just provide so much better consistent clear damage.

I really disagree with the OP using Inc Crit strikes anywhere, because it's just such a lackluster gem for this build. Double Strike does ridiculous base damage, and the best way to build around ridiculous base damage attacks is with %more scaling supports, and THEN scaling THAT by high crit weapons, tree crit, and diamond flasks. Inc Crit only really makes sense for scaling inconsistent spells, adding base crit to spells without it, and/or spells that already have high crit capabilities. For Double Strike, %more phys and melee supports are far better.

For your setup, your clear should be DS, Ancestral Call, Melee Splash, Melee Physical, and Mulstrike or Maim.

For Single Target (you have it in a 4l)
Double Strike, Bloodlust, Melee Phys, Ruthless

In PoB with my changes your Clear dps goes from 45k to 83k, and your single target goes from 105k to 137k.

Clear speed will also be far better, and your Whirling Blades speed will feel amazing.

Source: I've ran every conceivable variety of Double Strike, and have ran at least 2 or 3 different variations every league for the last 4 leagues.

Thank you for your review, it really helps, i will use your tips today when i get to play

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info