Rebalancing Internal Unique Item Rarities (Locked June 16)

"
jaredh wrote:

The only ways to get rich in POE match the only ways to get rich in RL

1) get super lucky by being in the right place at the right time (in POE, getting the uber drop)
2) knowing the right people (in POE, being in a guild that helps you get rich because they like you)
3) be exceeding good at what you do, and what you do can directly provide you wealth (in POE, this translates to being one of those gamers who is world-class best)
4) cheat/steal your way to the wealth (in POE, this would be RMT/botting)
5) spending extreme amounts of time fighting against the man and slowing chipping away to get wealth.

Don't expect to get rich by playing the game. Even them boosting the drop rate won't make you any richer than you are now, you'll just have more uniques than before. As one of the wealthiest if not The wealthiest player in the game I'm not silly enough to believe that any change to drop rates is going to make anyone that doesn't play the trading game even remotely close to standing in my shoes. All that it's going to do is give you less goals to accomplish and make getting uniques a less rewarding experience.
The planned changes to unique items look good. Just don't make them too common. It's good that the best items are super rare.
90% of rich guys in this game is for buying orbs/items with $$$, so for me like im poor guy this new drop rate is awesome .
Last edited by siclop19 on May 23, 2014, 11:58:37 AM
"
GreenGuy wrote:
"
jaredh wrote:

The only ways to get rich in POE match the only ways to get rich in RL

1) get super lucky by being in the right place at the right time (in POE, getting the uber drop)
2) knowing the right people (in POE, being in a guild that helps you get rich because they like you)
3) be exceeding good at what you do, and what you do can directly provide you wealth (in POE, this translates to being one of those gamers who is world-class best)
4) cheat/steal your way to the wealth (in POE, this would be RMT/botting)
5) spending extreme amounts of time fighting against the man and slowing chipping away to get wealth.

Don't expect to get rich by playing the game. Even them boosting the drop rate won't make you any richer than you are now, you'll just have more uniques than before. As one of the wealthiest if not The wealthiest player in the game I'm not silly enough to believe that any change to drop rates is going to make anyone that doesn't play the trading game even remotely close to standing in my shoes. All that it's going to do is give you less goals to accomplish and make getting uniques a less rewarding experience.

Your right the drop rate wont change anything. They would need to make a self found league.

But hey id love that. All you sharks can eat each other alive for all i care.

"
GreenGuy wrote:
All that it's going to do is give you less goals to accomplish and make getting uniques a less rewarding experience.

are you saying it's more rewarding to trade for an item vs find an item?

if so, i'm pretty sure we could scientifically prove it as false.

can scientists measure the amount of endorphin release? pretty sure they can
"
Veruski wrote:

are you saying it's more rewarding to trade for an item vs find an item?

If there are items you haven't found then it gives you something to work towards. Would you enjoy it if there were /getItem commands for every item implemented? You could try out all those builds you thought of without even having to go through the trouble of looking for the gear for them! Wouldn't it be fun to kill monsters all day and get nothing you didn't already have from them?
Just because there are many super rare drops doesn't mean you should be entitled to drop at least on of each of them and never have to trade. You should only ever get one of the many super rare drops if ever in my opinion. If you don't like it, trade for the one you want. If you don't find one, keep trying and quit crying.
Last edited by GreenGuy on May 23, 2014, 2:10:44 PM
nobody thinks these should drop like candy, or have a /getitem command

that's a fallacious slippery slope argument.

if you think getting 1 - 2 gg drops in a 4 month league with hefty play time, instead of 0 - 1 gg drops in a 4 month league...is going to break the game...

then well, i don't know what to say to you

you're simply wrong.
This is a long over do change. Great for GGG to finally see it as an issue.
Standard Forever
"
Veruski wrote:
I disagree with your premise. yes, some builds should be gated by super rarity/expense, but not all. there has to be a spectrum there. if all build enablers were super rare, including even things like face breakers, the game would be really bland for a long time.
I stand by my rubric. Facebreakers should be a rare unique, perhaps super-rare.

The key here is endgame viability. It is possible to make build-defining uniques which fundamentally alter the way players play the game, but which don't last forever. A good example of this is Solaris Lorica, which, unlike Shavronne's Wrappings, is designed to be a leveling chest for those kind of wacky ES tricks and is more difficult to manage end-game. Lorica still has enough end-game viability where I wouldn't classify it as a common unique, but I'd say uncommon would be fair; you'd want more than one level of rarity difference between Lorica and its superior.

The main problem, however, is that these kinds of uniques aren't often designed. In particular, supporters are trying to make items with endgame viability; as someone with the unique design privilege myself, I'm guilty of this as well. However, when it comes to non-supporter uniques, we have a few like Storm Cloud, but getting some more low-level stuff in there would really help.

Designing such uniques wouldn't be too difficult. Ideally, they either don't require significant departure from whatever you're building towards endgame, or they segue into a higher-rarity build enabler. Here's one (suitable for Common unique rarity) off the top of my head:

By the time you get access to Barrage and Power Siphon, this would allow you to go the attacks route early on while still picking up all those spell damage nodes... but (usually) transition back to spells as the damage of the unique starts to become unimpressive.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 24, 2014, 2:12:03 AM
"
toyotatundra wrote:
Btw, I'm surprised Facebreaker is in the Uncommon tier, since it drops more often than Araku Tiki and Karui Ward combined.

according to what? youre individual experience?
IGN camkhaos

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info