Client-server Action Synchronisation

I'm sure this has been mentioned before:

Doing stuff on the client AND the server is the best of both worlds.

On the client, you get instant responses etc as demonskye describes with D3

But you can also run the simulation / game on the server side - for verification purposes. The server has enough information (movement speed, dps, etc) to validate client-only based actions.

So the sever can periodically check stuff like:

- According to the player, they moved from their last known position A (which was given to the server previously) to their current position B using skill X. Is that possible or are they cheating. If cheating, then resync. If cheating too much, disconnect.

If you include client timestamps, or at least the number of milliseconds since the last message to the server, then the server can make accurate decisions based on this.

- The player moved from C to D in 5 seconds - this is a few meters & is achievable so player is not cheating.

- The player moved from D to E in 1 second - this covers half the map so player is obviously cheating

Monster actions would have to be done on the client side, otherwise monster-player interaction could become de-synced or out of step. But this is fine if the monster actions are verified by the server, as well as the players.

Stuff that isn't time critical, such as monster death-drop items does not need to be performed on the client at all, and can be done purely on the server. As long as the monster death happens on both sides in approx the same location, then who cares that the items drop a few 100 milliseconds - or even a couple of seconds - after it should.

"
demonskye wrote:
What drives me sort of nuts about this is that it's EASILY fixed, and it essentially relates to "trust" of your client.

First off, let me begin with my qualifications. I'm a network engineer working for the world's largest CDN. On any given day about 25-39% of all the internet traffic IN THE WORLD passes through our servers. I've had to troubleshoot errors from tiny errors at layer 2 of the OSI model all the way up to layer 7. I've had about 10 years experience in the networking-tech field.

As for my qualifications in POE. I have 3 (primary) characters, A level 80 Chin-Sol puncture ranger, a level 86-flicker crit dagger shadow, and a level 83 Scion, which I'm not currently using due to changes in aura nodes and EK just not having the clear speed of my other builds.

As is obvious, my PRIMARY build would be my shadow. I do the most dps (>100k with flicker and 4 power charges + melee splash, or >190k with added fire damage to a single target), clear the fastest, and generally have the most survivability.

I've died a lot on my shadow. And basically every time it goes something like this: Flicker into a group of level 73-75 mobs, watch their health drop to 20-30%, desync, stop hitting anything, end up stunned, die in the middle of a pack of 60000 mobs that should have died in 1-2 more hits. I know I'm not hitting the mobs when I don't hear the sound connecting on my headphones. When that happens I smash my /oos macro and hope that it reacts before I'm dead.

So, from a network engineering perspective, what's happening here.

1. Packets are being sent to the POE servers. They're being routed here, there, and everywhere by the internet. That's just the way things work. Generally packets make it (about 99.95% of the time) and sometimes they need to be retransmitted. Let's assume that desync is NOT caused by packets dropping, as GGG has commented that it's a sync issue, not a QOS issue.

2. Packets are received by the server a calculation about that packet is performed in a matter of milliseconds, and a response is dispatched

3. The response makes it to your computer, and it verifies that you are somewhere that you can be / that your attack connected / whatever.

So, what's the problem with this?

1. It places NO confidence in the client. Essentially POE is checking every single movement that the client is making, rather than allowing the client to determine whether or not you have taken a hit, the server decides. On a good day, when I'm playing in Boston, MA and my friends are playing in Singapore, I have a ping of about 350-400ms as it's likely me connecting to the SEA servers. That's totally acceptable. What's NOT acceptable is me using flicker strike once and missing with every hit of it, and then teleporting back a half a screen. What happened?

2. My computer sent packets to the GGG servers that service the Pacific Islands and SE Asia, and in the 350-400ms round trip they took, my client chose 3 random targets with flicker. Meanwhile the server chose 3 different targets to attack (flicker + multi). The net decision is: Well, we can't decide what happened, so you didn't use the attack and let's move you back to the last point we agreed. This happens CONSTANTLY. Using movement skills (WB, Flicker, and LS for example) causes me to desync ALMOST immediately.

3. This approach also doesn't factor in outside sources of network congestion, latency, or issues regarding lag spikes (local, or at any of the hops between me and your server). If you do a simple ping-of-death on a website like google and ping it for a period of 24-48 hours every 3-5 seconds, about 98% of your pings should come back within 10-50ms, 1.5% should come back between 50-150ms, and .4% will be well above that at about 150-700ms, and the outliers will probably be about 700ms - 3s. The point I'm getting at is that even with normal connections you can expect STRONG latency spikes in otherwise normal traffic on the internet. It's the nature of the beast.

4. This approach allows for us to "dodge projectiles" and melee attacks that we see coming, but let's face facts and compare this diablo 3. I can dodge spears or fireballs thrown at me just fine... why? Because there's no server-side check to make sure of if I dodged it, and if I didn't let's rewind to the last thing that worked. I'm either standing in fire, or I'm not. It's decided on my client and passed to the server. The server is not telling me if I'm standing in fire. That's why POE cannot fix this. It was a design decision, and it was strongly likely based in anti-cheating. Putting too much information client-side allows the user to cover up what's really happening and allows for a chance to change that information before it reaches the server.

I think that the end of point 4 needs to be reiterated. I would NEVER cheat in POE. The only time I want to cheat is when I die to desync... which wouldn't be caused if the client had more trust placed in it.

There is NO discussion on this. That IS what's happening. You can claim that it's a million other things, but until you realize that the clients need to be trusted, but checked in ways that don't cause user interference, that this game WILL suffer. It will lose you users. It will cost you money. And it will hurt your bottom lines.

This has been an issue for years now, and has sat near the top of your development manifesto for the better part of a year.

The reality is that testing in a 0-latency office is not going to produce desync. Hire someone in Boston to run Wireshark and packet capture EXACTLY what's going on. Find triggers, make bug reports, and stop dodging the issue. This is the BIGGEST problem holding this game back from being the GOTY. And you guys can't / won't throw the resources necessary at it to handle it. Which is saddening.

This is a bit long but worth a read. Obviously cant check the guys credentials, but what he says is true.
I commend GGGs attempt to eradicate cheating, but atleast a little decision should be given to the client.
Just enough to remove some of the terrible "desync".
"
Skizo wrote:
That sort of makes sense, although I am not sure I totally understand the rational behind sending info to my client that is not "verified".

Maybe give the server the ability to verify stuff like this and tell the client if everything works out or not? I am sure that would help a lot with movement skill desync (hello Cyclone).

It might as well, seeing that the game server has absolute authority, so it makes very little sense for the client to do its own thing and then have the server overrule it, when the server figures out that the action produced a different result than on the client.

That would only improve stuff if all your actions on the client were delayed until a response was heard back from the server confirming the action is possible. So if you had 200ms ping, then every action you perform will be delayed on the client by 200ms. This strategy is often employed in RTS games where responsiveness isn't as important as perfect synchronization.

You can easily see why GGG didn't go with this approach if you load up the first Starcraft game, start a LAN game and set the latency smoothing setting to the maximum.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Sep 17, 2014, 9:06:23 AM
You don't need to wait for a response from the server.

As I posted earlier - you post the movement / actions / whatever to the server - then forget about it.

The server, upon receiving the new information, would verify. If too many verifications fail - disconnect you with an appropriate error message.
"
demonskye wrote:
What drives me sort of nuts about this is that it's EASILY fixed, and it essentially relates to "trust" of your client.

First off, let me begin with my qualifications. I'm a network engineer working for the world's largest CDN. On any given day about 25-39% of all the internet traffic IN THE WORLD passes through our servers. I've had to troubleshoot errors from tiny errors at layer 2 of the OSI model all the way up to layer 7. I've had about 10 years experience in the networking-tech field.

[SNIP]

So MUCH, but SO SO MUCH **THIS***!!!!!!

I **HATE** Cheaters, but if they can get away with it, so be it. What's the amoral Shadow personality all about ?

However, *TRUST* is the issue, and ZERO TRUST is a pathology. Like so many gross personality defects, that "work" to survive into Adolesence and Adulthood, they don't work when taking responsibility for Mature roles in life. Server-side calculation and Rubber-banding worked in GGG's Infancy, and Adolescence, but GGG is now growing up and a more mature solution is in order.

It should be possible without a mind-numbing amount of cogitation to come up with a means of AUDITING the initial conditions, and snapshot intervals, verifying the progress and outcome of client computed action. Once a cheat happens, it created divergences in the action that are detectable. A sampling of mechanical events can be audited, to lessen the burden on the server. Intervention is necessary only when a significant divergence occurs.

Once a "cheating" violation is detected, the account can be frozen, and disconnected.

The problem is that GGG is **ALWAYS** controlling the honesty of action. However, a cheater is going to cheat with some frequency, and only has to be caught "Red-Handed" ONCE!!

Everyone is being taxed with constant suspicion and prejudice by the present architecture.

Short break to say "GGG, YOU ARE AWESOME!!!", I'm not bagging on you!

GGG can still control the action of a context, yet distribute the computation in this way:
1. EVERYTHING is computed on the Client

2. MANY things are ALSO computed on the Server, or, At Intervals, the Server mirrors the computations on the client. Divide the audit up by regions of the context, or individuals, or the whole context for sub-intervals in time.

3. Disagreements of computed results trigger a ZERO TOLERANCE sanction from the Server, with consequences to the Context, and Client Account, as determined by GGG.

4. In a context with some cheaters and some honest players, the cheater(s) would be slain, frozen, or "disappeared" in the view of the non-cheating members. a "ritual suicide animation" would be nice.

If GGG can make this happen....and its a significant re-architecting of the mechanics management and client-server communications, I'll allow....Play could be more fluid and consistent, and cheaters will meet their doom.

The AUDITING MECHANISM may be porous enough to catch only one out of 5 cheats or more, or refined enough to catch every cheat. Decide for yourself.

What is important is that every cheater be caught before they can enrich themselves and associates enough to economically distort the game.

Ronald Reagan once repeated "TRUST BUT VERIFY".

Make it so ?

"
sanuitstli wrote:

So MUCH, but SO SO MUCH **THIS***!!!!!!

I **HATE** Cheaters, but if they can get away with it, so be it. What's the amoral Shadow personality all about ?

However, *TRUST* is the issue, and ZERO TRUST is a pathology. Like so many gross personality defects, that "work" to survive into Adolesence and Adulthood, they don't work when taking responsibility for Mature roles in life. Server-side calculation and Rubber-banding worked in GGG's Infancy, and Adolescence, but GGG is now growing up and a more mature solution is in order.

It should be possible without a mind-numbing amount of cogitation to come up with a means of AUDITING the initial conditions, and snapshot intervals, verifying the progress and outcome of client computed action. Once a cheat happens, it created divergences in the action that are detectable. A sampling of mechanical events can be audited, to lessen the burden on the server. Intervention is necessary only when a significant divergence occurs.

Once a "cheating" violation is detected, the account can be frozen, and disconnected.

The problem is that GGG is **ALWAYS** controlling the honesty of action. However, a cheater is going to cheat with some frequency, and only has to be caught "Red-Handed" ONCE!!

Everyone is being taxed with constant suspicion and prejudice by the present architecture.

Short break to say "GGG, YOU ARE AWESOME!!!", I'm not bagging on you!

[snip]

Ronald Reagan once repeated "TRUST BUT VERIFY".

Make it so ?

I realize, in hindsight that the game would be computed on clients of every party-member. That may or may not complicate and limit the Client-Computed/Server-Audited model. My ignorance, however is not an abdication of my position. It is an acknowledgement that implementing such a model is nontrivial.

"
rrtson wrote:
You're insinuating that players are too dumb to distinguish between desync and lag?

Yes.
Yes they are.

I see it weekly across every game I can mention (that I play often enough) that has an open peer chat system. I would guess that anywhere between 50-70% of gaming populous, be it though ignorance, laziness or just sheer stupidity, do not or cannot distinguish between any or all of: input lag, desync, frameloss and freezing.
"If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is." ~David Dunning
Last edited by TikoXi on Sep 18, 2014, 7:19:59 AM
"
TikoXi wrote:
"
rrtson wrote:
You're insinuating that players are too dumb to distinguish between desync and lag?

Yes.
Yes they are.
[snip]

If you call it lag or Desync, and you don't really understand what they are and how to distinguish them, when they are distinguishable, that is IGNORANCE.

Dumb is the smarter cousin of stupid, and its arrogant to cast anyone into that family.

Ignorance and "being dumb" are mostly quite different. The smartest of us possess a field of ignorance that dwarfs what we know.

While exiles decrying every anomaly as Desync can be irritating to those who toil to understand and discern, it is simply bad diction.

Amongst the "putatively dumb", and the charitably disposed, we understand, "F__king Desync!" means something other than "My Gameplay" interfered with my enjoyment of the game; CPU crash, Application Crash, Router Crash....all of these do "IN FACT" de-synchronize one from a context and one's peers.

I've only just started playing POE a month or two ago, that said this desync/lag/stuck stuff is annoying. I've played many games and there is only 2 games I can think of where this happened.. Mortal online pre-release and Diablo2 and that was only when u got stuck whirlwinding on your character by whirlwinding into a static object and it would eventually rubber band you. I havn't read the last 39 pages but I did read the explanation of the GGG rep and it sounds like a cheapish setup or excuse.

I'm finding the game pretty fun at the moment however not sure I'll stick around long feels unpolished because of the desync/servside lag/ getting stuck issues. I guess I can't complain too much... it is free afterall.

Cheers.
Disregarding the risk of sounding like a moron , I'd like to ask if strong Internet connection expedites information from client to server, i.e. reduces desync. I did read the entire post including
"
It's relatively frustrating to see someone say "the desync is really bad today" when they mean "Some ISP between me and the server is lagging badly today".
but I'm still not quite certain. I do appreciate that GGG sacrifices better synchronization for more robust gameplay, I'd just like to see if I can do anything to make my robust gameplay smoother on my end.
Last edited by q45412 on Sep 21, 2014, 9:55:21 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info