Arc

Arc is great skill I think it would be used more if it had less mana cost.
IGN: lVlage (96 Witch)
arc works just fine paired with a shocknova totem and curses
"
FlawedTheory wrote:
arc works just fine paired with a shocknova totem and curses

You have very low standards.
how much biggest dps anyone can take with arc ?
IGN: Aqur
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Again, with Shock Duration you can Shock dealing below 1% Max Life in Damage (and you need just slightly more than 1% by default but w/e). There's a reason I mentioned that stat, and you seem to ignore it?

It might take 400 shots to kill one (which I really doubt either way), but you only need one high-end damage roll to Shock something. Your average hit might not be enough to inflict Shock, but Lightning has highly variable damage.

it works alot better with a higher lvled arc.
i can confirm dmg is definitly VERY important for shock duration. and very funny with ele prof and mana leech for the "shock debuff"

i will not confirm so far that there is a minimum amount of dmg it needs if the skill has shock chance.
as i mentioned before i shocked Kole (merciless) with
-a lvl 1 arc 4-57 dmg(note all necros around him were dead)
-20% shock duration.
-30% shock chance

im not this math guy but let us guess.

if kole has 5700 hp (100%) and i make 57 dmg he will get shocked at least 0.276 secs, cuz this is impossible the shock duration bring it to around 0.33 seconds.

BUT i dont think kole has 5700(or less)HP

ps. i know the devs react to kole.. since the lootbug :)
i mentioned btw one with arc +culling strike +rarity +quantity with the 2nd/last bounce of arc.
Witch : HaleJesus LVL 82 Arc Summoner
SpectreGuide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/292391/page/1
pls forgive my gibberish space orc english - its not my native language
As a baby witch, going all lightning spec with my initial points, at level 19 when I get Arc, it does about 60% of the DPS that my Freezing Pulse does (when both are supported with Added Lightning Damage gem) for over twice the mana cost.

I'm not a super big fan of freezing pulse, so I'm going to play with Arc for awhile anyway, but the only thing it really brings is a quick easy to hit with long range option. It hits fewer targets than Freezing Pulse, casts slower, costs more, etc.

I feel that the "damage effectiveness" debuff thing is what really wrecks it. Without the gems they're actually fairly close in total DPS (freezing pulse is still ahead, but only 57 v 42, instead of 73 v 48.

Getting junk out of your passive skills and gem additions for the spell feels really weird. What exactly is the design philosophy there? There are other skills that hit more mobs at once, it doesnt have the awesome 600% crit buff built in like ice spear... what makes you feel that it needs to have a lower damage coeficient? Couldnt you just start it with lower base damage and let it scale normally if you felt that it was too strong?

As is it feels like almost a trap to go lightning, since all your passives are effectively half as strong as they should be.
One thing to note with Freezing Pulse, its damage drops off as the projectile fades. You don't get the full damage unless you are literally inside a monster. At medium range, you're not going to hit nearly that hard. Arc, on the other hand, hits anything anywhere, and Lightning Damage causes Shock, which is broken.
Erm, sorry to dissapoint you but Arc damage is dropped by default. And neither can you cast 5 at once. Shock also isnt broken on its own, you can easily top tri-shock dmg with crit-multiplier on pulse.

There is no way to compare fp with the crap that is arc now. Better cast speed, higher crit, better supportable, hits more than 1-3 mobs.
You haven't been paying attention to the thread, have you.

Nykidemus was comparing Arc and FP with only an Added Lightning Damage gem.
"
As a dedicated non-totem-support user, I fear that any real buffs to this skill would make it too strong as a totem but barely adequate as a proper 'user' spell.

We all know the cost is quite significant, and that this cost is somewhat mitigated when you apply the spell to a totem.

This is another case in which I quietly lament the whole 'totem' mechanic as a means to 'pseudo-cast' your spells at a distance.

Arc needs love. It STILL needs love. I've already posted my thoughts in this thread on that front and those thoughts have not changed because the skill has not changed. The game hasn't. What were problems before are problems now.

But GGG are going to have to really think hard about how to buff it for 'real' casters without inadvertently making it too strong for totem-casters.

I agree that Shock can be very strong, borderline overpowered, but the ridiculous minimum damage to arc combined with its lack of more versatile AoE (Chain drops the damage and increases the cost far too much) mean that even if you can shock the whole screen, Arc isn't about to tear through them but for some lucky high roll. Most of the time, that single-to-double digit minimum hit will just be a slightly stronger but still very low end hit.

Anyway, just an update I guess. It needed love before. It still needs love.

+Infinity

I love Arc. I used a "real" Arc-caster in Anarchy, using Spork (also casting) to spread shock, and then Arc to clean up. In the back of my mind the entire time I'm playing that character is that I'm using Arc 100% by choice, and that I could just keep spamming spork and be equally, if not more effective. Not to mention I wouldn't need Eldritch Battery as much.

Arc needs some sort of mechanic that makes it unique. Either that it chains more on crit, or chains more but divides damage (making it equally good for bosses/single-target as for mobs)...whatever the case, I think it needs it's own unique identity.

Totems are definitely a problem. 3x Arc totems using the above mechanics/buffs would be horribly broken. Honestly, I agree, I think totems should be standalone abilities, and spell totems shouldn't even be in the game. Buffing skills makes them broken for totems; Nerfing totems to compensate would probably be equivalent to removing them entirely. But, they're in the game and I don't think they're ever going anywhere.

So yea...Arc really needs to find itself. I miss my Lightning Wizard. Honestly, D3 AND Titan Quest both kinda sucked for Lightning enthusiasts as well, so I'm REALLY wanting a decent lightning caster in this game. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info