Spectral Throw

"
Startkabels wrote:
ST should be nerfed if any, as it fucks up melee.

How do you compare Reave that has a range that builds up or the limited AoE of melee splash with ST?

Completely inbalanced really

I was day 1 "this has coverage superior to everything else, AND has 1.2x damage effectiveness, but sometimes hits thrice for 1.8x effectiveness. This will probably render bows obsolete." Advocating a nerf when everyone else was crying for (and got) a buff.

It's a fun skill. It doesn't need to be above par min/max wise.

It should be self-evident that if Diablo 2's Multiple Shot and Teeth aren't weaker by a factor of at least 2 compared to other AoE, and a facter of 4 to single target options, then they automatically become the optimal skills to use. By virtue of hitting everything on the screen all at once.
Last edited by LimitedRooster on Jul 3, 2014, 6:50:08 PM
"

It should be self-evident that if Diablo 2's Multiple Shot and Teeth aren't weaker by a factor of at least 2 compared to other AoE, and a facter of 4 to single target options, then they automatically become the optimal skills to use. By virtue of hitting everything on the screen all at once.

And this even not considering absurd mana cost...

Which ST seems not to have (it is cheap like fuck).
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Hi!

I have googled the forums and the wiki and several other sources but couldn't find what I was looking for:

I need clarification about ST and accuracy. Can anyone give me a link to where a dev talks about that? I would be grateful for the link or a reply.

ST should be influenced by accuracy, since its an attack and the tooltip verifies this. More acc = more dmg.
There are many people who assume/know that ST cannot miss though. I have played ST up to lvl 86 myself and can atleast tell that I never whitnessed a projectile not hitting. What I have whitnessed though is, that projectiles of ST still hit the target with animation (i think little flash) and the ST-sound WITHOUT dealing damage. That might be due to desync or other mechanic reasons. Maybe ST is only animated as always hitting while dmg calc. is based on acc?

Please help me clarify this, I don't need the usual "ST is an attack and therefore influenced by accuracy" - explanation, but ideally a dev-clarification.

Thx in advance
I am a believer of Kuduku's word, god of gods, the only TRUE GOD! KUDUKU!
The Character Sheet even lists its Chance to Hit. I wonder why. It never does that for Skills that always Hit, such as Spells, and if Attacks have 100% Chance to Hit, it says that. Hmm. What a conundrum :/

I don't know why people assume ST always Hits. It clearly doesn't - you even said yourself you see it missing occasionally.
well i actually never saw/heard it missing but I realized that it could do 0 damage though. I was never sure if that was just a npc-block-chance situation or a miss. I will assume it can miss but I would be glad to get clarification.
I am a believer of Kuduku's word, god of gods, the only TRUE GOD! KUDUKU!
"
Vipermagi wrote:
The Character Sheet even lists its Chance to Hit. I wonder why. It never does that for Skills that always Hit, such as Spells, and if Attacks have 100% Chance to Hit, it says that. Hmm. What a conundrum :/

I don't know why people assume ST always Hits. It clearly doesn't - you even said yourself you see it missing occasionally.

It can only hit once every every 0.3 seconds. If it has the opportunity to hit 2x in that 0.3 secs, which is a pretty bold assumption (but given simplistically for the sake of an example), it can seem like it has an accuracy much greater than 95%. For instance, lets say it gets 2 opportunities to hit/miss in that 0.3 seconds. The chance that both attacks miss is 5% times 5% or 0.25%. If you position the enemies so that the spinning projectile is stopping just at the enemy, it stands to reason how accuracy can not only appear to, but actually have a diminished effect. It's not like you can hit more often in that 0.3 seconds anyway. That being said, crit still scales quadratically with accuracy so accuracy if still is important if you a building a spectral throw cast on crit build. Hope this helps with your theorycrafting.

With regard to any statements regarding a buff or nerf, I try to play and have a multitude of characters each with variety of abilities. (ie. some melee, some ranged, some spell, some self-casted, some totems or summons, some cast on crit) Then, for each of the offensive abilities, I like to have a variety of defensive options. (ie, block & spell block, pure life 2h with no block but good leeching and regen, instant leeching and acrobatics with life and evasion, CI, mind over matter, blood magic) Clearly, things are not balanced all the time. Sometimes that is good for the game, because some abilities need to be introduced into the game and played. Other times, it is just bad for the community as it tends to make hurt feelings when a person stops playing a particular character because they feel they have to play a particular character in order to be effective, only to find several weeks or months later, after considerable leveling effort has been put into gems and considerable currency has been put into gear, perhaps selling other good pieces, only to find that their build is, at least in the person's mind (whether true or not), "no longer viable". This tends to lead to bitterness and hurt feelings. While free passive resets are offered, one does not simply get to select which level 20 quality gems they want to play on any level 90+ character and get to change whatever mirror-quality crafted piece of gear to another, or from one legacy unique (such as a 1000 life Koam's Heart) to another (like a legacy Shavronne's). Since I haven't really leveled spectral throw that much yet, I don't want to speak that much ahead of players that either have leveled it and feel it is their favorite, or have leveled it and think it is OP and needs a nerf. I think just stating the consequences of never allowing a powerful build to come into existence when introducing a new skill, or creating a powerful one in order to entice the community to play it for too long, invest too much into it (because they feel like they have to), only to provide it a nerf later both have consequences. I shouldn't need to state whether this skill is powerful or not. The rest of the players can provide that insight.
Last edited by Zindax on Jul 14, 2014, 11:31:52 PM
trash skill in 1.2
"
Havened wrote:
trash skill in 1.2

Spectral Throw works well for me.
The chance to Vaal +1% maximum resists on an amulet is less than 1/300.
i think the mana cost of this skill is a bit unbalanced

lvl 21 spectral throw is 10mana cost, while power siphon is 15mana cost

it should be 11 and 14.

spectral throw imo should cost more mana
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
The projectile's size in units is directly based on the actual base range of the weapon (from it's type).

Does "Master of the arena" passive (and other weapon range improvements) affect it?
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info