Spectral Throw

I want this skill to work with Bows. Spectral Arrows <3

Pls do it.
Last edited by Rozari on Jan 2, 2014, 8:27:45 AM
Has anyone tested what bandit reward is better for SP? 8% atack speed or 18% damage?
There is no better.
Take whatever you prefer.
Sorry Exile, but your loot is in another dungeon!
IGN: Delirii
nvm
Last edited by LimitedRooster on Jan 23, 2014, 3:47:28 PM
I want a skill effect or weapon shaped like an antique bowling pin to make it look like your character is a juggler :)
I still think this skill kills the melee game too much.

What if they just reduced the pierce down from 100% to e.g. 50%?
Or what if the projectiles only had 100% pierce for the first few (1-3) hits?

That way the skill wouldn't be such an easy-win skill for killing groups early game, but would still be viable, and would improve with augments such as Pierce and Projectile Weakness.

As it is currently, grab a 2 hander and this skill completely outclasses other melee options like Cleave.

IMO ideally this skill would be best suited to a good secondary skill for melee characters, rather than a primary one. Mainly because, it has kind of taken melee out of the game. Those are my thoughts, anyway.
"
valtherion wrote:
IMO ideally this skill would be best suited to a good secondary skill for melee characters, rather than a primary one. Mainly because, it has kind of taken melee out of the game. Those are my thoughts, anyway.

While I have to appreciate that you didn't suggest ruining ST by jacking up the mana cost as some have suggested, I think it's quite a stretch to say this skill stands up to melee DPS.

This skill IS a secondary for melee builds. In certain situations it doesn't make sense to run into melee range so it's important that ST remain viable DPS but still lower than melee, which it already is.

There are also mobs in the game now that dictate where you fight them from. On nemesis you have the elemental blood rares that require you to use ranged or be able to tank them exploding on death. The shield mobs require you to run in to melee range, making spectral throw weak against them.

If you look at what ST can do compared to many melee skills DPS or even ground slam, it isn't anything special. The major draw to ST is the fact that everyone can use it with any melee weapon, it is not class or build specific.
"
Fatalflaw wrote:
"
valtherion wrote:

While I have to appreciate that you didn't suggest ruining ST by jacking up the mana cost as some have suggested, I think it's quite a stretch to say this skill stands up to melee DPS.

This skill IS a secondary for melee builds. In certain situations it doesn't make sense to run into melee range so it's important that ST remain viable DPS but still lower than melee, which it already is.

There are also mobs in the game now that dictate where you fight them from. On nemesis you have the elemental blood rares that require you to use ranged or be able to tank them exploding on death. The shield mobs require you to run in to melee range, making spectral throw weak against them.

If you look at what ST can do compared to many melee skills DPS or even ground slam, it isn't anything special. The major draw to ST is the fact that everyone can use it with any melee weapon, it is not class or build specific.

ST is OP when leveling up, and only in late game it becames OK. That's the main problem.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
I think there are two easy fixes to Spectral Throw.

1. Just make it a higher level ability. Compared to any other level 1 skill, it simply outdoes them.

Now, I know ST is Scion's starting skill and it's still a cherished early game move, so...

2. Now, I think this will really fix ST. Give it charges. When you throw your weapon, you lose a charge, when it returns (or when all linked projectiles return in the case of LMP/GMP), you get a charge back. You could start with one charge at level 1 and have it scale up to some place between 5 and 7 in late game, perhaps a new charge at skill levels 5, 9, 13, 17, 21, giving players another charge right off the bat if they manage to bolster the level over 20. That way you'd be limited with it early game, but it'd still hold its power as a piercing move with a high damage ratio, provided it hits a target 2 or more times. You'd just have to actually engage in some melee combat or have to move to progress a little slower if you wanted to be completely safe. This change would also let ST keep its place as a great and safe late game build as with 5-7 charges, even a high speed dual wield build would have issues expending them all.

Hope either of these ideas seems nice. I currently think Spectral Throw breaks the very early game and I'd like to see it changed as the start of the game is important, especially for races.
I have an idea for a simple and non-intrusive way to balance Spectral Throw progression. You know that "Deals 60% of Base Damage"? That should start lower, maybe even as low as 40%, and go up with each level along with the current "Increased Projectile Damage". To address the fact that it's a bit weak in end-game compared to pure melee, at max level it could be like 65% or 70% of base damage.

I know that no other skill changes damage effectiveness as you level it, but this seems like a good enough solution to set a precedent.
Last edited by Brillo_Scrublord on Feb 20, 2014, 6:12:06 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info