Reave

multistrike and wd speed boost for just dw'ing are both multiplicative.
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Sep 11, 2013, 1:14:23 PM
ES players will want to use shield anyway. Extra ES from shield is too solid to be traded for mere AS bonus, even if it's multiplicative.
As for life-users, they can afford it, but i think, cleave would be better for them, because it favours dual-wield more.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
Ozgwald wrote:
[...]Also the dual wield attack speed bonus from passive tree is weaker than some odd flung around attack speed nodes and again pale in comparison too getting multistrike.
[...]Currently increased aoe and multistrike are what define reave, while ats from the passive tree does not so much, I find this a very bad design decision.

(emphasis mine)
Alternatively:
"Currently Multistrike defines what Melee is, while IAS from the tree is barely noticable. I find this a very bad design decision."

Multistrike is a defining Support for Reave exactly because Reave favours Attack Speed.

Take two Reave builds. One builds around IAS from the tree. The other grabs a level 13 Multistrike (100% More Attack Speed).
When neither build has any gear with IAS nor Frenzy Charges, the builds line up once the first build obtains 100% IAS from the tree. After all, there's only one multiplier and it's x2 in both cases.

For each point of IAS the Multistriker picks up, the passive build needs twice that. The Multistriker grabs an 8% IAS node and +2 Frenzy Charges? Get fucked, son.

A Ranger with 150% IAS, dual-wielding swords. There's likely more efficient IAS stacking builds; this is purely illustrative. When you go absolutely nuts on IAS on the tree, the Multistriker can still almost effortlessly get a higher Attack Speed than you.

If you ask me, the problem lies with Multistrike, not with sources of Increased Attack Speed.

"
Ozgwald wrote:
I also liked a suggestion made in the early reave feedback where aoe increase would be lowered and far more stacks are possible, hence ats beyond multistrike would play a role and diminishing the role of increased aoe

I'm not sure how that would work? I'm curious.
Making it more time-consuming to get the AoE to a respectable size hardly reduces the strength of Increased AoE. It's still a multiplicative modifier after all (Reave grants More AoE). Although, I guess if you make it something like 80 stacks rather than 8...? But then you shoe-horn Reave into mad Attack Speed stacking, rather than leaving it as an option, I think. Not sure. Interested to hear more of your thoughts on how to reduce the impact of IAoE.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Sep 11, 2013, 5:14:45 PM
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
ES players will want to use shield anyway. Extra ES from shield is too solid to be traded for mere AS bonus, even if it's multiplicative.
As for life-users, they can afford it, but i think, cleave would be better for them, because it favours dual-wield more.

But you get better life on hit with Reave.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Ozgwald wrote:
[...]Also the dual wield attack speed bonus from passive tree is weaker than some odd flung around attack speed nodes and again pale in comparison too getting multistrike.
[...]Currently increased aoe and multistrike are what define reave, while ats from the passive tree does not so much, I find this a very bad design decision.

(emphasis mine)
Alternatively:
"Currently Multistrike defines what Melee is, while IAS from the tree is barely noticable. I find this a very bad design decision."

Multistrike is a defining Support for Reave exactly because Reave favours Attack Speed.

Take two Reave builds. One builds around IAS from the tree. The other grabs a level 13 Multistrike (100% More Attack Speed).
When neither build has any gear with IAS nor Frenzy Charges, the builds line up once the first build obtains 100% IAS from the tree. After all, there's only one multiplier and it's x2 in both cases.

For each point of IAS the Multistriker picks up, the passive build needs twice that. The Multistriker grabs an 8% IAS node and +2 Frenzy Charges? Get fucked, son.

A Ranger with 150% IAS, dual-wielding swords. There's likely more efficient IAS stacking builds; this is purely illustrative. When you go absolutely nuts on IAS on the tree, the Multistriker can still almost effortlessly get a higher Attack Speed than you.

If you ask me, the problem lies with Multistrike, not with sources of Increased Attack Speed.

"
Ozgwald wrote:
I also liked a suggestion made in the early reave feedback where aoe increase would be lowered and far more stacks are possible, hence ats beyond multistrike would play a role and diminishing the role of increased aoe

I'm not sure how that would work? I'm curious.
Making it more time-consuming to get the AoE to a respectable size hardly reduces the strength of Increased AoE. It's still a multiplicative modifier after all (Reave grants More AoE). Although, I guess if you make it something like 80 stacks rather than 8...? But then you shoe-horn Reave into mad Attack Speed stacking, rather than leaving it as an option, I think. Not sure. Interested to hear more of your thoughts on how to reduce the impact of IAoE.

Question is, if the multistrike build can compensate the 'less damage' and higher mana cost with the amount of passive points the Skill Tree build needs to get the same amount of IAS.

Last edited by Sneakypaw on Sep 11, 2013, 5:22:34 PM
Check the link. To compensate for Multistrike, the passive build needs most of its passives. It doesn't matter that the passive build can get a similar Attack Speed, because it's not a viable alternative. You will die.

But, to answer your question: The Multistriker is free to stack Crits, so yes, they'll compensate for that Less Damage just fine. Mana? The passive guy has no Mana either, but no passive points left to get much either.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Sep 11, 2013, 5:26:02 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Check the link. To compensate for Multistrike, the passive build needs most of its passives. It doesn't matter that the passive build can get a similar Attack Speed, because it's not a viable alternative. You will die.

But, to answer your question: The Multistriker is free to stack Crits, so yes, they'll compensate for that Less Damage just fine. Mana? The passive guy has no Mana either, but no passive points left to get much either.

I am not checking the link. It's late, I am tired and lazy in general :P.

But crits only work, well, if you crit and you do that with a lower base damage if you use multistrike.

Also, the passive build having no mana isn't that dependent on the route that is taken in getting those IAS nodes?

FYI, I am just talking out of my ass here. I never made a crit build and I never used multistrik (I just don't like it). All I am saying is based on how I think it could (maybe) work.

This skill has been much more fun to use since the targeting fix in 10.5.x. The difference is very apparent.

That said, stacks NEED to stay up when other skills are used. This change should be in the very next patch. Right now, you can't even move your character without wasting a hotkey on the move action, for fear of accidentally mousing over an enemy and losing Reave stacks. This behavior is garbage.
The Amazon Basin: A Community of Friends Playing Games

http://www.theamazonbasin.com
"
Vipermagi wrote:

ehh,
I'm a passive build here.
I don't use Multistrike, just Faster Attacks.
I have some mana nodes and some mana regen nodes since I use some auras.
(bonus) I don't even go ES, because I had more fun with HP based, since I don't need tons of currency to trade for great ES item.

and I'm totally fine with that.

Increase the amount of stack, and in turn reduce the base AoE? I hope GGG don't take that since it'd only make the Reave get worse from what it is now. Sure, it doesn't matter for Multistriker since it just ram up the number in no time. But it's not a MUST HAVE... I'd prefer to do all attack by myself, and have more control of the combat situation. And in my PLANNED build, I'd prefer to have full damage per hit since I need big fire damage to trigger burning. That's why the current Reave is good, because it variety of build on it. Not just a "light speed AoE Reaver" from Multistrike.

A skill shouldn't be optimized for only 1 combination of gems. Otherwise, Reave would be just another LA Chained LMP, where everyone have the same kind of gems, with the same kind of passive tree. That's why I don't even have a single LA Ranger or Sporker.

It's boring to be like that.

"
OnmyojiOmn wrote:

That said, stacks NEED to stay up when other skills are used. This change should be in the very next patch. Right now, you can't even move your character without wasting a hotkey on the move action, for fear of accidentally mousing over an enemy and losing Reave stacks. This behavior is garbage.

Cannot move without wasting key for move action, what is that? O_o?
And why you lose your Reave stack when mousing over enemy? O_o ?
"
twintales wrote:
"
OnmyojiOmn wrote:

Cannot move without wasting key for move action, what is that? O_o?
And why you lose your Reave stack when mousing over enemy? O_o ?

I'd like to have Reave on right-click and a single-target attack on left click. Normally I'd left-click to move, but if I accidentally click on an enemy or click-and-hold and move the mouse over an enemy, I use the single-target attack and lose Reave stacks. It's bad enough that skills like curses and Enduring Cry can't be used effectively with Reave, but this is ridiculous.
The Amazon Basin: A Community of Friends Playing Games

http://www.theamazonbasin.com
Last edited by OnmyojiOmn on Sep 12, 2013, 2:01:42 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info