Reave

I compared it earlier with:

Reave-Added Fire/WED-Life gain on hit-Multistrike in a Bringer of rain VS Double strike/ Dual Strike + Melee splash + Life gain on hit + Multistrike in the Bringer of rain.

Reave had 6,6k DPS, the waves missed mobs constantly (it played the hit animation, just no damage was applied), the charges ran out before reaching any other mob packs, I can't pick up loot, curse or use mobility skills. Also the multistrike autotarget is annoying, as you stop attacking the mob you chose cause the AoE is a cone, so if your character decides to attack mobs behind you, you might get boned by the boss/rare mob you're trying to hit.

Double strike had 8,8k dps and Dual strike had 13k dps. Zero problems with the skills, killed everything almost instantly. So what's the point in changing melee splash for a damaging support gem?

After that I thought maybe elemental damage scales better than physical, like it does with cleave.

So I rolled a low level char with a lot of elemental damage on items.

Dual wielding cleave vs reave (no supports) : Cleave had almost double dps
Dual wielding daggers : double strike with melee splash had more DPS than reave + faster attacks/WED.

Dagger + shield: double strike + melee splash had a bit less DPS than reave + faster attacks.

I went to test the killspeed and double strike still killed faster, due to not having a bugged hitbox and the resetting of the AoE after 0,2 of a femtosecond.

So yeah, I really hoped this skill would be useful, seems pointless though.

On the bright side: I love the visual effects it has.
Last edited by Cirie on Aug 21, 2013, 9:13:14 PM
It's a melee splash skill personally. Don't really see anything good about it and think it would be bad endgame.
i like big crits and i cannot lie, you otha brothas cant denyyy....
We're going to make a change to the skill so that any interaction will not remove the stacks. This will include picking up items, using doors or chests, and talking to NPCs.

This won't be in 0.11.4b, but we'll see how soon we can get it in.
Balance & Design
Guys i'll tell you big secret about aoe increase(for guy who said that 20% is not enough). Its not like 160% bonus at end. Each stage will multiply past stage increasement. like this:

Stages: 1. 120%; 2. 144%; 3. ~172%; 4. ~207%; 5. ~248%; 6. ~298%; 7. ~358%; 8. ~429%.

Not tested Increase area passives and support gem but if im right it will multiply this too.
I've been using this on my claw ranger who's presently level 23.

First of all, I think it's a pretty neat idea, but the "You can't use any other skills without losing your Reave charges" thing kinda chafes. I'd really like to see an exception made for curses, at least. Aside from that, the charge duration feels too short- it seems to be about one second. Extending it to two seconds would make it better, I think. I understand it's not something you're supposed to be able to work up to 8 charges when you enter a zone then run with those same 8 charges until you clear the area, but as it is I can lose my Reave charges in between finishing one group of monsters and reaching the next at the edge of the screen.

Also, I think making the visual effect a little easier to see would be great. Beyond that I like it; it's nice to have an AoE option for claw/dagger users besides Melee Splash Dual Strike.
"
Zouphy wrote:
Aside from that, the charge duration feels too short- it seems to be about one second. Extending it to two seconds would make it better, I think.
Actually, it already is two seconds.

We did experiment with other skills not loosing the stages, but it wasn't as good.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Aug 21, 2013, 10:08:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEKM7J8Ug80&feature=youtu.be

Thought I would share. Kind of fun, although need to test on my other character that isn't so geared.

Reave, Multistrike, Melee Phys, Increased aoe, Knockback

Also used conc effect and added fire, and tried with blood magic, which isn't needed. Didn't like the higher damage as much as the higher aoe.

Will do some maps and other stuff when I have time, as well as video my hardcore character.

This is with dual wield mind you, imagine my onslaught character will change to a shield, and the way the spec layout is set up I can do either at this point, and easily change it. Onslaught character is set up a lot different, but in all honesty I want more aoe so I might need to snag a carcass jack on onslaught.
reave charge disappear after using whirling blade
"
Rory wrote:
We're going to make a change to the skill so that any interaction will not remove the stacks. This will include picking up items, using doors or chests, and talking to NPCs.

This won't be in 0.11.4b, but we'll see how soon we can get it in.

Thanks for this, it'll make the skill much more usable, especially in parties.
"
killerlich wrote:
reave charge disappear after using whirling blade
Yes. Using any non-reave skill removes the stages of Reave you've built up, just like Incinerate

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info