:;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

"
You're too young. Tezuka did his thing and he was *way* ahead of his time.

There, fixed that for you. Also, I don't recall having ever stated the opposite. Heck, when I created my account my english was still bad enough that I couldn't understand the majority of the game.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
True, I was a little harsh there. I've known your sort time and again and it never fails to impress me how quickly you pick up English in a context like this.

Either way, I get a little defensive with Tezuka because the West often knows him only as the guy who made Astroboy. And while Astroboy had some adult themes it was very much aimed at kids. But that's just the tip of the Tezuka iceberg. Check out works like Ayako or Letters to Adolf. The guy was dark as shit when he wanted to be, but the art NEVER matched it. It was his thing.

I think MAPPA/Tezuka productions are doing a great update. But contextually Dororo was still incredible for the 60s. Before Dororo, Tezuka was doing much less literary work, so it's understandable that Dororo would have some pacing and art hiccups. It was his first attempt at what was known as gekiga ('dramatic pictures'), which to me seem to be the forerunners to the graphic novel as opposed to funny pages and comics.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
I really enjoyed the Tsurune soundtrack though. That was probably the best part of the whole series.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Yeah, it was alright. But I wouldn't call it a standout in this age of Penkin, Sawano, Yokoyama, Kawai (who is still doing Mob Psycho, bless that genius), and my latest discover, Yoshihiro Ike, who does the amazing Dororo OST.

Not even a mention of Taku Iwasaki (noragami, bungou stray dogs, etc.) or Yuki Kajiura (you know, madoka magica, fate/zero, kara no kyoukai and so on)?

...ok then :/

I'll admit though that maybe I'm just a bit too much of a fan of Kajiura soundtracks at this point. BUT THEY'RE JUST SO DAMN EPIC!!
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Oh, and a seriously unsung anime composer of great talent is Takanashi Yasuharu. He did 4 precure series, most of Naruto, Zombieland Saga, Gegege no kitaro...Log Horizon...his Naruto stuff is incredible. So much taiko and chanting.

I should remember that name for the future (me remembering names... omegalul)... the Log Horizon OST was brilliant. For the first season anyways... they reused a lot in the 2nd one. Still good though.

I never really bothered with anything naruto, but I do like one or two of the openings and a few of the songs of the OST... Girei (Pain's theme) is one of my favourites among them.
Anyone else watch the new season of young justice?
Since I didn't really watch a whole lot the last week a *slight* backlog has started piling up and I only just now started catching up again. Also, I sadly didn't manage to watch Heaven's Feel 2 because apparently the event had been sold out for a month and a half before. FML.

Anyways, last week's episode of Fukigen na Mononokean hit in the feels full force. I'm impressed by how some series make you care about certain characters in a single episode more than others manage to do over their entire runtime.

Kaguyasama was bloody brilliant as always. It had the funniest misunderstanding I've seen since Gamers.

Then there was SAO... yeah, at this point I just watch it to have something to take any frustration out on. I'm still impressed how much stupid can fit into only two characters. The show doesn't make sense most of the time and doesn't even TRY to hide that.

I have yet to watch Fariy Tail and Manaria Friends (honestly speaking, I don't even know why I watched the first episode of this... but the visuals are nice and the atmosphere was relaxing, so I might as well continue watching it) from last week and then everything that came out today... that'll take a bit.
You got me, i'll add kaguya sama to my watching list, need a comedy among stuff i'm currently watching.
Spreading salt since 2006
My guilty pleasure of the season (?) is definitely Manaria Friends. Pretty short, but it got some of the best visuals I've seen in quite a while. Look at the amount of details! Soundtrack is also quite pleasing.

Regarding Mononokean, I might be a bit biased. Ever since I first watched the monogatari series (or rather, bakemonogatari), the supernatural anime were quite interesting to me. The youkai ones especially, I watched a whole bunch of.. well anything with that general theme really. Though by some mysterious coincidence I managed to avoid two of the best ones (according to MAL ratings at least...), Mushishi and Natsume Yuujinchou. I should get that fixed one day, but I have other series I should watch first (before you ask, YES, Revue Starlight currently has the top spot on that list).
Still, Mononokean has pretty good characters, a (in my opinion) pleasant artstyle and... I honestly don't know what else to say about it really... I liked it. I found it to be worth watching, and if it has a second season, then it did SOMETHING right.

Then again, SAO has 3 seasons now... *sigh*

As for anime films, I found out that there will be another chance for me to see Heaven's Feel 2... but I'll have to be patient. It'll come out here in june. Still a lot better than not being able to watch it on the big screen. And hey, I even get the choice between the german dub and the correct way to watch it this time (original version with subtitles of course), so that's something.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Well at least in the German dub Rin might pronounce her spells correctly.

Ahahahaha yeah no. I doubt it. They'd probably translate it to be latin or something (which would also make a LOT more sense).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info