Melee should do 10 times more damage.

"
Jradlot21 wrote:

Honestly, a lot of you guys are simply way too worried about damage and simply have no defense, or no idea how to build defenses.

This is true. Because most other games, defenses are taken care for you, which is then up to the devs on how tanky your character is. POE is one of the few games where if you don't invest, you don't have any.
The issue is, build guide writers just tell you to put a few points here and you'll be fine which, after following about 40 build guides, is never the case.
Even after understanding defenses, like reaching cap points for phys damage reduction, stacking fortification or suppress, reaching and increasing max ele res, it's never enough.
And because each ascendency / build has access to different defenses which synergise well with the damage you're doing, it's always difficult to try and adjust what defenses your build has access to.

tl;dr - what's your secret?
"
Zandafolf wrote:
"
Xzorn wrote:
There are three basic perks to melee for being melee.

- More CC potential

I love stunning a rare but it can still cast spells for some reason and getting shotgunned by death nova projectiles of death

Yea, AN doesn't care. Which is really bad. GGG also uses lingering mechanic effects on their bosses which diminish the value of CCing them.

I use lingering effects for tank and support roles. I don't feel a lot of developers understand how strong lingering Healing, Shielding and others can be. The Support/Tank is stunned yet still partially doing their job. It's one reason I think Healing often went out of control in MMMOs.

That's group player side interactions though which doesn't matter much here. Wish it did. In reality all GGG would need to do is flag on/off AN effects during a CC but I guess they can't be bothered.

"Never trust floating women." -Officer Kirac
"
Jixa87 wrote:
"
Jradlot21 wrote:

Honestly, a lot of you guys are simply way too worried about damage and simply have no defense, or no idea how to build defenses.

This is true. Because most other games, defenses are taken care for you, which is then up to the devs on how tanky your character is. POE is one of the few games where if you don't invest, you don't have any.
The issue is, build guide writers just tell you to put a few points here and you'll be fine which, after following about 40 build guides, is never the case.
Even after understanding defenses, like reaching cap points for phys damage reduction, stacking fortification or suppress, reaching and increasing max ele res, it's never enough.
And because each ascendency / build has access to different defenses which synergise well with the damage you're doing, it's always difficult to try and adjust what defenses your build has access to.

OK let me explain something to you, your first problem is you dont know anything about the game and you rely on guides...... this is helpful of course, and some people simply need them due to the complex nature of POE. That said, you need to know how POB works at least a little bit or your fucked. I know the numbers, if you dont got the exact hit pool # i need to proceed to the next tier maps / bosses I simply dont advance until i fix my problem. Same goes for damage, but defenses are more important.

What is my secret? I grew up playing D and D like RPGs and diablo 2. POE is a ARPG game that follows ARPG and tabletop RPG like rules. SO, your very wrong when you say most games auto build defenses. What your saying makes absolutely no fucking sense at all..... every RPG game since D and D in the 60's or whatever you need armor rating, spell dodge, block etc etc. Diablo 1 and 2 in the 90s were no different. IF YOU HAVE NO SPELL SUPPRESSION, SOME KIND OF EVASION OR ARMOR (something gets through evasion your dead), or block than yeah your gonna get fucking clapped obviously... nothing secret about it thats how RPG games work. Also EVASION, eventually something will get through it, same goes for block. So, if you dont have a bit of armor, or physical damage taken as elemental, or endurance charges your gonna get fucking one shot.

One really shitty thing about POE state right now is almost every build needs 100% spell suppression....

The secret is not a secret man your being stubborn and getting way over your head following crazy ass guides when you simply are not ready by the sounds of it. I know im blunt but im trying to help.

All i can type for now, POE class 101.... knowledge is power in this game learn POB or your gonna keep struggling.
Example 1 - 1 million damage is PLENTY to clear up to T16 maps ive done it with way less!!!! 5 million damage is plenty to kill all the bosses even UBERS!!! No, you wont one shot everything in the game but you are not an elitist streamer so stop pretending to be one! Honestly, you can kill T16s with 300k damage... bossing would be a bit of a struggle, but ive gotten through eater of worlds in the gauntlet with like 300k damage.
Last edited by Jradlot21 on May 1, 2024, 6:30:11 PM
"
Jixa87 wrote:
"
Jradlot21 wrote:

The secret is simply experience. Defenses in POE are way more complex than in other titles like Grim Dawn or D2/D3/D4. LE get's close but it's still easier. For starters 75 ele res is not a defense in this game. It's the baseline monster damage is balanced around.

One advice i can give: Break things down to the essentials. There are 4 types of defense: mitigation, sustain, HP/Buffer, avoidance. Ranked by importance. Poe has multiple mechanics for each category that all work slightly differently but do essentially the same thing. Block/Evasion for avoidance, Resistances/Spellsuppression as mitigation against spells, Life/ES/MoM for HP and leech, LoH, Regen etc for sustain.

What is important at the end of the day is not how much defense you have of a certain type like armor, what matters is how much damage you take for a given element after all your reductions are applied and how much incoming damage you can offset via recovery. This also means you typically don't want to use a single mechanic for each type. Single mechanics are always capped at 90%. To get really beefy you need to reduce damage by more than that. Now you obviously can't stack multiple mechanics for each type which is why i listed them by importance.

Basically, mitigation prevents oneshots and sustain prevents getting overwhelmed by number. How much life/ES you have is secondary, if your mitigation is good enough you can tank uber boss attacks on 2k life. People thinking having 5k life is an indicator of tankyness are stuck in 3.15. Avoidance can substitute a bit for mitigation/sustain but it get's binary against big hits so i wouldn't focus on it if tankyness is your goal.

If you have a build guide that claims to be tanky, put it in POB and check how much damage the build takes in realistic scenarios for every element. If it still takes like 20% from a given hit it likely won't feel tanky. It obviously shouldn't have major holes with 1 element having almost no defense like 0 chaos res.

Also, if you have a build that feels squishy, don't just drop the build. Instead, try adjusting the parameters and see how it plays out ingame. It often doesn't take much for the build to feel vastly different. Try getting a few resistance % extra, increase your armor, add phys taken as somewhere, take a leech cluster for more maximum leech amount etc. Just up it bit by bit until you have a satisfactory result. Next time you make a build for that ascendancy you'll have a rough guideline for what you need. That way, bit by bit, you'll learn what works for you and what doesn't. Before long you'll have enough experience to make your own judgement. Relying on guides is problematic because peoples perception of tanky can be very different. A build that Mathil thinks has good survivability likely won't work at all for normal people for example. You have to find your own sweetspot.
Last edited by Baharoth15 on May 2, 2024, 2:23:34 AM
all that is solid advice, few more words

a) do not trust that much into POB. this tool is mostly correct, but after all YOU play the game and that means a lot. i recommend leveling 'as' given skill/build so you can ease into it. swapping at lvl80 frequently ends up in disappointment - even if the skill/setup is good. the playstyle matters A LOT (i tried doing Void Sphere build on lvl93 char by respecing - it sucked. built one from scratch - got to ubers, it is such fun)

b) some mechanics are just stronger/better/cheaper than others. GGG doesnt even pretend to be otherwise. if you want results - stick to these 'tricks', youll spot them quickly as poe.ninja (website with builds) is full of these

items (very expensive) like Progenesis, Defiance of Destiny, Mageblood, Stasis Prison etc are so strong they can carry your defences ALONE - if you see a build creator claiming that Mageblood is just for QoL, it is a lie

want to get something that is really strong and achievable? Aegis Aurora shield + Determination Aura + Granite flask + as much block as you can (easiest on Necromancer or Scion/Necromancer with Bone Offering) + some Energy Shield. youll be immortal vs non-bosses. the same result with Ghost Dance + Grace + ES on a (preferably) Trickster. but start with Aegis.

c) if you can choose, pick cold damage as your main damage output. chill and freeze are absurdly strong as defenses, esp with proliferation

d) playstyle matters a lot. do not rush things. too much movement speed will kill you at first. after you get used to it - it is your strongest defence

e) setup flasks. make sure you get flasks you need and ROLL THEM. it is pain in the but it is necessary. if you can - just buy them from market but be warned, well rolled flasks are very expensive

f) shock, freeze, chill (and maybe stun) immunities are MANDATORY. ignite/poison you can mostly outlive, corrupting blood via life flask and secondary ailments you can just avoid by avoiding certain content. but shock/freeze/chill and stun WILL kill you if not handled. at first - just run Purity of Elements with good Watcher's Eye (phys taken as? chaos res? all options are good). sure that wont give you damage but it is VERY strong and efficient aura choice

and 10 times is a stretch but rare phys weapons need AT LEAST doubling to match the insanity other options turned into. as they are now - they are complete shit

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info