Melee should do 10 times more damage.

"
Lonnie455Rich wrote:

The problem is [that] stacking [is] the most common way [...] to scale. playing regular scaling gets you no where.

Thats every archetype in the game tho and has nothing to do with melee.
If you arent stacking whatever suits your build best, you end up with a mediocre build at best.

Popular things to stack:

- gem lvls
- crit chance / multi
- dot multi
- auras / aura effect
- evasion (dreamfeather)
- armour (replica dreamfeather)
- armour and evasion (perserverance)
- all attributes (omni)
- one specific attribute
- accuracy (jugg)
- charges
- flask effect (PF / mageblood)
- curses and curse effect
- life (RF)
- ES (spellblade, ephemeral edge etc)
- atk/cast speed
- mana (archmage)
- proxy count (totems, minions, traps, mines etc)
- projectile count

and then some

It doesnt matter what you stack as long as it suits your build and budget.
If the expectation is to simply click some things on the tree, wielding whichever sort of weapon and beat the game, you didnt pay attention and now find yourself limping many many years behind the curve.

This is true across the board for all archetypes.

A more reasonable discussion would be, whether melee has enough scaling vectors available and if they are competitive compared to others.
"
Orbaal wrote:
"
Lonnie455Rich wrote:

The problem is [that] stacking [is] the most common way [...] to scale. playing regular scaling gets you no where.

Thats every archetype in the game tho and has nothing to do with melee.
If you arent stacking whatever suits your build best, you end up with a mediocre build at best.

Popular things to stack:

- gem lvls
- crit chance / multi
- dot multi
- auras / aura effect
- evasion (dreamfeather)
- armour (replica dreamfeather)
- armour and evasion (perserverance)
- all attributes (omni)
- one specific attribute
- accuracy (jugg)
- charges
- flask effect (PF / mageblood)
- curses and curse effect
- life (RF)
- ES (spellblade, ephemeral edge etc)
- atk/cast speed
- mana (archmage)
- proxy count (totems, minions, traps, mines etc)
- projectile count

and then some

It doesnt matter what you stack as long as it suits your build and budget.
If the expectation is to simply click some things on the tree, wielding whichever sort of weapon and beat the game, you didnt pay attention and now find yourself limping many many years behind the curve.

This is true across the board for all archetypes.

A more reasonable discussion would be, whether melee has enough scaling vectors available and if they are competitive compared to others.

There is a huuuuuuuuuuuge difference in stacking gem levels and stat stacking. thats not even close to the same thing.

But yes your last comment is the problem. Ironically the reason stuff like slams hasnt evolved was because its a waste of time. Outside of echoes of creation being a thing. The game evolved to a point where builds with 2-3m dps are just a waste of time adn getting more dps than that and being well rounded i.e. tanky require so much investment that you may as well play something else.

Last league i played earthshatter zerker to 99. Ripped it in a valdo map. Build was a ton of fun "to me". most everyone i know would absolutely hate the build given with absurd amounts of gear i dont even think i broke 10m dps with about 25k phys hit with molten shell up.

Last edited by Lonnie455Rich on Apr 29, 2024, 6:12:51 PM
"
Lonnie455Rich wrote:

There is a huuuuuuuuuuuge difference in stacking gem levels and stat stacking. thats not even close to the same thing.

But yes your last comment is the problem.

Agreed.

Id just rather discuss other option than "buff dmg" cuz if thats what GGG wanted to do, they could have done so many many times and they didnt. So I dont think thats what they want to do.

Also because its boring and not really solving the issue at hand.
More dmg would simpy allow to invest more points into defense and thats is - given the lack of dmg projection - the real issue imho.

What Id like to see is more usage of the tech awakened gems introduced. If those hit max lvl, they do unlock something such as exposure, intimidate, +1 lvl or whatever.
Why not use that tech for skills that do really need help, whether its melee or spells or bows or whatever.

What if say Heavy Strike would unlock things as soon as the gem hits a certain lvl. For instance:
- lvl 11 gain Fortify (just the defensive effect, not the dmg) on hit
- lvl 16 x% chance to intimidate
- lvl 21 x% chance to deal double dmg

Could also add a movement thingie like "Flicker towards target" with a CD.
Even if this doesnt deal dmg, at least you get in range quickly w/o having to sacrifice another gem slot and pressing yet another button.

Something along those lines. Must prevent exploits via weapon swap for obvious reasons but other than that, it could actually help underperforming skills in a more interesting and more defining way than just slapping x% more dmg on the gem itself.
"
xPiranha wrote:
hoho asking for x10 more is a bit much. no one is gonna take this feedback serious.

this forum was abandoned a long time ago, so i highly doubt that someone will ever listen to any feedback on this forum
"There are Penalties in the Game, no one's complaining about them"
Chris Wilson Exilecon 2019
"
Baharoth15 wrote:

Captain lance did ubers with heavy strike, on a 10 div budget no less. I did it with Molten Strike and Shield Crush which are pretty "real" melee in terms of range. But i suppose none of that counts, right? Btw, where is that heavy strike build of yours? Don't see one in your profile.
But sure, let's give low budget melee builds 100+ mio dps, sounds legit and balanced.

I have a heavy strike bd in my another account.

Which boss you killed? I'd tired The Searing Exarch, I can't even get close to him.

I'll be oneshot by his small molten ball rain, and when he prepared to deal enormous AoE slam, I had to jump away. I barely have a chance to attack him, not to mention after he summoning his 2 dinosaur pets.
Last edited by smtad on Apr 30, 2024, 2:18:06 PM
All of them aside from Exarch, i got a serious hatred for that guy ever since i had to farm his normal version for like 5 months to get one freaking omni. Never want to see his face again.
That said, Exarch and Sirus are easily the worst ubers to do with melee unless you have like 50+ mio dps to dispatch them quickly. Their ground degens are awfully anti melee designwise.
Generally, assuming you don't have streamer level mechanical skills you want to either have high enough dps to kill the bosses quickly or enough defense to facetank most of their mechanics. You need that defense to push your damage uptime even if it costs you a bit of POB dps. I've got 70-80% damage uptime with my uber killer melee builds. With that even the likes of 20 mio dps are enough to kill them comfortably quickly.
If you have to dodge their every move with low dps you won't be getting anywhere.
Last edited by Baharoth15 on Apr 30, 2024, 2:53:31 PM
the problem is, they are balancing the game around 1% of the player base. Also, it's extremely difficult for GGG to please everyone so give them credit, its not easy to make the game viable for trade players without breaking it, and also without stirring up the HC and SSF players too much.

I get it trust me, some skills are downright useless without a ton of investment and that simply is not right. IMO they need to stop caring so much about people like Ben who are just inhuman levels of concentration and skill, and stop caring about juicers like that Empryian they are gonna break the fucking game anyway no matter what GGG does so who cares if a few skill gems are really strong.

I dont fucking get it either, lightning conduit was so good they barely gave it one league and killed it.... Why ? because some streamer smashed the game with it? We all see it in gauntlet they ban DD so ppl use cremation, volatile dead and boneshatter. Its a joke, these people will find a way to do massive damage anyway... give the average joe a chance.

All rants aside, Melee does work with game knowledge however theres only a handful on melee skills that actually work unless you have too much time on your hands, or godly gifted like Ben and company.

Power up underused gems, stop fucking nerfing period!
Last edited by Jradlot21 on Apr 30, 2024, 7:58:43 PM
"
Jradlot21 wrote:
the problem is, they are balancing the game around 1% of the player base.

This is the prime reason. Because the 1% of player base can't purchase a high percent adorned and mana stack with magic corrupted jewels like crazy, if you try a mana build for example with your limited budget won't get you far.
Budget and access to items is what limits most players reaching absurd damage.
Example, I spent 20 div on a Hierophant mjolner build and got stuck, weak defenses, strongish damage... without proper investment I couldn't take it further.
Compared to, I spent 10 div on an Inquisitor Energy blade build, 20m dps, can face tank bosses, game is easy.
I spent 30 div on a Pathfinder PCONC, damage is outrageous but tank is terrible.

Back to the thread, I spent 40 div on melee, had a solid build around the Saviour, following a build guide, tried both dual weilding and 2h terminus est, impale, crit stacked, 90% phys damage reduction, 40% life leech.... managed 2.5m dps, died lots.

tl;dr - performance of builds is tied to the 1% player bases budget.
Last edited by Jixa87 on Apr 30, 2024, 8:19:13 PM
"
Jixa87 wrote:
"
Jradlot21 wrote:
the problem is, they are balancing the game around 1% of the player base.

This is the prime reason. Because the 1% of player base can't purchase a high percent adorned and mana stack with magic corrupted jewels like crazy, if you try a mana build for example with your limited budget won't get you far.
Budget and access to items is what limits most players reaching absurd damage.
Example, I spent 20 div on a Hierophant mjolner build and got stuck, weak defenses, strongish damage... without proper investment I couldn't take it further.
Compared to, I spent 10 div on an Inquisitor Energy blade build, 20m dps, can face tank bosses, game is easy.
I spent 30 div on a Pathfinder PCONC, damage is outrageous but tank is terrible.

Back to the thread, I spent 40 div on melee, had a solid build around the Saviour, following a build guide, tried both dual weilding and 2h terminus est, impale, crit stacked, 90% phys damage reduction, 40% life leech.... managed 2.5m dps, died lots.

tl;dr - performance of builds is tied to the 1% player bases budget.

Honestly, a lot of you guys are simply way too worried about damage and simply have no defense, or no idea how to build defenses. I clear all content with about 5 million damage sometimes less, i rarely die. When playing HC almost never die. I always tell people stop trying to copy highly skilled streamers and get some defenses you will be fine. I also rarely use trade and mostly play SSF.

Defense wins championships ! Damage is nice for sure, but if your dying constantly its not helping you..... Need to learn balance, if you cant delete the screen in one click you need defense, even then you will still die sometimes, or often depending on skill level
Last edited by Jradlot21 on Apr 30, 2024, 8:30:37 PM
"
Xzorn wrote:
There are three basic perks to melee for being melee.

- More CC potential

I love stunning a rare but it can still cast spells for some reason and getting shotgunned by death nova projectiles of death

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info