Well done GGG the economy will heal if this goes on forever

"
ArtCrusade wrote:
"
Retention is a good means of telling how engaged the player base is with the mechanic

No it just says how many people are playing on launch vs how many people are playing a few weeks in. Launch = 100% of course, and then it drops off the further in you go until you reach like 10% at the end of a season. Many people make time on launch to be there, maybe play the weekend. Some people take vacation days. More people just try to fit it into their schedule.

It's the same cycle for every live service game in existence. Big hype into big dive. The value fluctuates for a myriad of reasons, some of which I listed above. Comparing these numbers without contextualizing them leads nowhere

Spoiler

That's just right now for example. If Necropolis was this bad you'd think there would be more interest in other games, no? There's No Rest For The Wicked right now which sadly has some glaring issues on launch or I'd give it a shot myself, but it at least attracts quite a bit of interest right now.

Still, there are like 56k people playing PoE just on Steam right now: https://steamcharts.com/app/238960

Now put that in context with people calling the league "dead" and you have a quite vocal minority that is venting on the forums. Reality, however, looks different

Yup this.

Im pretty sure these people know this, but you can't just turn your brain off and go "This league has less players than the previous league, the league must be bad"

For me and many, working adults, we dont have the holiday time like we did with Affliction (literally in the month of December) so we cannot play as much, or at all. As well as being a bit burnt out from last league.

Good league after all the changes were made. Just no time to play for me.
Bump your post as many times as you want. Its not like the Devs are changing anything your way anyways.

Generic I'm quitting/uninstalling post. Comes back to the game and none of the things they whined about changed their way. Only to whine about even more things.
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
"
Kiss_Me_Quick wrote:

Enjoy the league, I had fun myself but it is clearly not sustainable.

Right now it's literally the worst performing league of all time.

35/35, a perfect score!

The question is: who decided that the metric for how good a season was is player retention. The #1 question is: are you having fun?

It's a complete nothing burger

It's simple: We can measure how many players keep playing after they've experienced the league for 2-3 weeks, and we cannot measure how much fun is the whole community having.

Again, I had a great time this League, but my game is different from 99% of the players. And it seems like the 99% of the players have spoken.
Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506
Last edited by Kiss_Me_Quick on Apr 22, 2024, 4:12:16 PM
"
Kiss_Me_Quick wrote:
Spoiler
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
"
Kiss_Me_Quick wrote:

Enjoy the league, I had fun myself but it is clearly not sustainable.

Right now it's literally the worst performing league of all time.

35/35, a perfect score!

The question is: who decided that the metric for how good a season was is player retention. The #1 question is: are you having fun?

It's a complete nothing burger

It's simple: We can measure how many players keep playing after they've experienced the league for 2-3 weeks, and we cannot measure how much fun is the whole community having.

Again, I had a great time this League, but my game is different from 99% of the players. And it seems like the 99% of the players have spoken.

"We can measure"... wait who's "we"? What's the source?

Also, I think we would all appreciate it if you hide that flash-bang of a "chart" within a spoiler tag. Easier on the eyes.
~
The Mirror of Kalandra and user retention (view-thread/3489839)
Why not throw the ring into the sea? (view-thread/3488268)
Beware of misinformation on good leagues (view-thread/3514952)
To give an anecdote about the differences between leagues. I played ancestors from start to finish in spite of loathing the league mechanic because the base game was in a good state. I played affliction more intermittently but if I wasn't playing in league I was usually playing in standard until I burnt out completing 38 challenges and took a few weeks off from playing and did other stuff near the end of the league. This league I got my four voidstones finally, after an absurd amount of effort to get the maps for the fragments and invitations needed and then stopped playing entirely because the massive nerfs to loot and several of my favorite builds (ele flasks getting torpedo'd sucks so bad for builds that struggle to cap resists) and the complete lack of reasonable access to my favorite content (beating up uber bosses) has essentially killed my interest in playing PoE until something changes.
"
Kiss_Me_Quick wrote:

It's an indicator, not the indicator. 60k people are playing right now, so I am not sure where you extrapolate 99% of the players hating the season from.

Are you counting people who are playing but who criticize aspects of the season? That'd include me too, and I am very happy + having fun with Necropolis.
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
Wait why the hell Essence had more than 100% retention? o_O I know it was introduction of Atlas but I would expect most people to start at the league start not later on.
Last edited by Aynix on Apr 22, 2024, 4:32:22 PM
"
Aynix wrote:
Wait why the hell Essence had more than 100% retention? o_O I know it was introduction of Atlas but I would expect most people to start at the league start not later on.

Because the game was small then and there were actually less people on launch than people who joined after
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
Last edited by ArtCrusade on Apr 22, 2024, 4:33:40 PM
"
Aynix wrote:

ROLF! Yeah I had that same reaction when I saw it. I'm truly appreciative of the person who posted, I just wish that person would share the source.
~
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
"
Kiss_Me_Quick wrote:

It's an indicator, not the indicator. 60k people are playing right now, so I am not sure where you extrapolate 99% of the players hating the season from.

It doesn't need to be "the" indicator, but it's the most reliable one offered - a lot better than saying "people have fun", which is not something we can measure.

60K playing is fine, but we can clearly extrapolate that:

8K playing out of original 10K has more likely a higher % of people having their "fun" satisfied than 60K out of 190K, although the latter has a higher number of people playing.
Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506
"
Kiss_Me_Quick wrote:
Spoiler
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
"
Kiss_Me_Quick wrote:

It doesn't need to be "the" indicator, but it's the most reliable one offered - a lot better than saying "people have fun", which is not something we can measure.

60K playing is fine, but we can clearly extrapolate that:

8K playing out of original 10K has more likely a higher % of people having their "fun" satisfied than 60K out of 190K, although the latter has a higher number of people playing.

I've gone as far as Jan 28, 2022 in your post history and this is the first time you post anything like this. I don't understand why you say "we" and I think we can all get a better picture of what's going on if you shared the source. Maybe it's a bad snippet...
~

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info