Melee bad - Feels good and bad to have devs confirm it

"
exsea wrote:
Its really frustrating whenever a forum topic about melee being bad and some bloke says melee is fine.

The problem i think is that alot of people say melee is bad because being ranged is safer and can deal damage, that mentality will never change (prety sure there will be posts about melee being bad in PoE2)

The problem i have with the confirmation is that it was linked to the character rigging and animation, something that was developed for PoE1, then taken away (kinda, i seem to recall that they were using the new rigs on NPCs)

Wouldn't it be easier than spending all that time with the old rigs and just spend that time on making the new rigs work in PoE1?
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Apr 20, 2024, 6:23:14 AM
"
Aynix wrote:
Instead the dude who is good at the game is constantly playing melee in SSFHC and reaching lvl100.

Can you stop with the vast exaggerations and spreading of misinformation?

That "one guy" pretty much only plays Occultist. From mega Chill Vortex to Doomblast and whatever. Not a single melee character.

There's not a single GGG character among the top 500 in any current league.

I think Mark used to play melee. But also not something off-meta. I think his last melee character was using Boneshatter. Don't quote me on that, though.

Jonathan, the guy who allegedly said "melee is bad"? He likes to play Aurastackers/Aurabots aka. probably the most busted builds with currency investment, even after all the nerfs.
Original creator of the "Poor Man's Ward Loop" build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3480922
Windows 11 Enterprise 64-bit, i7-13700K 5.30GHz
PNY RTX 4080 16GB GDDR6X, 32GB DDR5-6000 CL36
Samsung 980 Pro, Seasonic Prime GX 850W Gold
From the picture i got in the interviews was that the melee animations were a driving force behind poe 2 and splititng the games up since some things arent possible in poe 1 without a ground up rework of the entire code base.

I might add i have my doubts that its just the animations. In my opinion its also the bad balanced gem effectivity and atk speed numbers that lead to bad performance.

Most high dps melee builds I see are squish builds.
On the other hand people that have a tanky build have zdps at least in my book.
I think melee lacks that proper balance where you can be tanky with good dps (without double totems buffs) on a reasonable budget.
"
"
Aynix wrote:
Instead the dude who is good at the game is constantly playing melee in SSFHC and reaching lvl100.

Can you stop with the vast exaggerations and spreading of misinformation?

That "one guy" pretty much only plays Occultist. From mega Chill Vortex to Doomblast and whatever. Not a single melee character.

That is not person who Im talking about, but nice to see more of GGG people play the game in high level.
I was talking about Mark Roberts.
"
Aynix wrote:

Then maybe you should be more specific when referencing people.

You got a source for any of these random claims? Because Mark_GGG is Mark Roberts' account. Not sure if he has another account. This one has barely any activity besides forum posts.
Original creator of the "Poor Man's Ward Loop" build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3480922
"
"
Aynix wrote:

Then maybe you should be more specific when referencing people.

You got a source for any of these random claims? Because Mark_GGG is Mark Roberts' account. Not sure if he has another account. This one has barely any activity besides forum posts.

He is well known as Neon. He probably doesnt play as much now that he become "the main guy for PoE 1".
Last edited by Aynix on Apr 20, 2024, 8:08:08 AM
"
Aynix wrote:
He is well known as Neon. He probably doesnt play as much now that he become "the main guy for PoE 1".

Ah, yeah. Forgot about that one. This one.

Welp. Private profile, so can't see anything useful. But again, last time I knew about him playing melee, it was Boneshatter (Jugg? likely). And it's not surprising why.
"
And it's not surprising why.

Because he plays SSFHC. Wanna discuss how many builds are viable there? Because you for sure wont see TS Deadeyes or "ward looper" there.
People who complain about "melee bad" however are not playing SSFHC. Vast majority of them are playing in SC trade.
"
Baharoth15
For me melee is "fine" as long as i can take a melee build from twighlight strand to ubers on a reasonable budget (~20-30 div depending on league prices) and i can do just that.

If someone thinks melee is "bad" because totems are annoying, or because gem scaling is so much more convienient, or because range is easier to build since it can just dodge stuff rather than needing defense, i won't say a thing or disagree, those are valid points. But that's not something i read often. Instead i see lines like:

"Even with a 600 pdps weapon melee caps out at 5 mio dps" or "You need 20+ div weapons to do red maps with melee" or "melee is unplayable because you can't go close to shit/stand still without dying" and the likes.

My complaint has nothing to do with shoestring ubers, if you're willing to accept miserable playstyles and a single bit of latency costing you a portal you can do ubers on a sub 5 div budget on ranged spell builds because spell totem and trap builds haven't been nerfed as hard as everything else and can probably find a workable melee build for under 40 divs, my complaint is that for melee to feel remotely good you need to be not really melee and/or functionally invulnerable which requires an enormous amount of investment.
Last edited by CarbotZergling123 on Apr 20, 2024, 9:15:26 AM
Spell Totems are even less popular than melee. I cant remember when was last time someone made popular Spell Totem build (Ball Lightning of Static doesnt count, because as we can see GGG didnt want it to even work with totems in the first place)
Last edited by Aynix on Apr 20, 2024, 9:16:57 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info