Necropolis craft - create a split copy

Yep same thing here. Not clear at all. Wasted currency and a lot of time.
I also did this. I am not one of the people who have played every season to know what this is supposed to do. I didn't even see this effect on the Wiki further leading to massive confusion on how this works. I don't even know why anyone would want this S&*( tier craft.
"
neohongkong wrote:
There is no bug.

Split an item and create an imprint are two different things, and the wording is clear enough to say it is split

I almost got fooled by the wording on this and I know better, when creating my first craft. I ended up ripping it out of the ground after I realized and saw that split copy was just.. split. What I think I parsed was that the "copy" part would make a copy (obviously not). So, I can totally empathize with especially newer players getting buggered by this. To me at least, it's not super unreasonable for a small text change to assist here.

Yet another unpaid Path of Exile 2 Alpha Tester.
Happened to me as well
It's a mistake you only make once and now you know, etched into your memory what split means. If you've never beast crafted or used the corpse before, the game did everything you asked it to do... split the item.
I wonder if there is a better way for the game to explain this without forcing trial and error or wiki research? New players don't know they are potentially bricking what they are doing without exiting the game and reading a forum, unless there is information about this niche crafting mechanic somewhere in the game that I haven't come across. They are not asking for a split tag to be added to their item. Beast crafting recipe on the ritual alter doesn't explain that this will happen or why it might be unwanted. How are they supposed to know how a mirror craft works? I haven't mirrored an item in x000 hours, I would have to go to the wiki to know. Even then there is ambiguous wording on the craft so it is back to trial and error or scouring a forum for someone who has done the trialing. Sure mirrored items drop, but do the majority of players even know that?

Trial and error is fine when its a 1/4 and you can get another one drop in the next act, or from the vendor, but when it's not purchasable, rare and sometimes irreversible, trial and error doesn't go quite as well. I understand that when the game was launched and along the way a lot this information wasn't known, and many people spent a lot of time learning how everything worked and providing tools to help future players. However, there's also 10 years of new mechanics built up and at times a lack of reliable information of how things interact. Beast crafting is from a long time ago, many players who've played multiple seasons may not even of used it or know splitting exist. The craft has to be found first before it can be trialed. They may even think this is a new necropolis mechanic. Reading the text only indicates that a copy that is created will be split. Beast crafting veterans obviously know what this means, but I don't think it is much of a stretch to think a certain amount of people who read it are going to incorrectly interoperate it. I don't think this corpse will be used by most players that know what it does this league, unless they are doing something very specific and are likely proficient in crafting. Doesn't mean it shouldn't exist, but it has the potential no nullify the other 87 corpses entered in a craft for anyone that uses it. That is potentially a bad crafting experience waiting to happen.

Ok, that is on the person using the craft to understand, but it has been implemented by developers in that way, creating a likely outcome that some people will use it when they would of otherwise not. GGG have been very careful with the wording in this game, and it's the reason it works, and makes sense logically to players without reading all the underlying code or needing to (always) test interactions. I think there is sometimes a bit of a gap in what is reasonable to included in the game, and what is advanced information that player can be expected to learn themselves or find external. More/increased meaning differentiation is an example of this, I think it should be an available description in the game. Idea's beyond this complexity are fine to be outside of the game, like say potential outcomes of vaaling a skill gem, but meanings of descriptive text, like what brittle does, should be in the game glossary. There have been a lot of improvements made on UI/QOL and moussing over/advanced tooltips, but I think alot more can still be done, if it is not interfering too much with development of the leagues. In my opinion some of the corpse mods could have more care taken with the wording. I think that game information could be improved, even if others think it's to late for this to be realistic. Luckily, tools like POB have been created, but the in game tool tips are more confusing than helpful, I think basic information like this should be available in the game, even though it would be a massive task to implement, and over and above what is required, it's definitely one area the game can still be improved and I think it would improve the experience of new players before they get to the point of uploading character to POB.

It's great that the game isn't completely solved, and includes mechanics that are actually deep enough to encounter these situations, but I think the developers need to be mindful of not punishing players, particularly new ones, for using trial and error to learn. Or if they do, improve their teaching methods so the player can realistically be informed by the time they make actions.

Maybe they are doing this in other areas, perhaps the vaaling mechanic added to act2 is a good way of introducing corrupting before later in the game. I think quest and quest rewards might be the best way to introduce this knowledge so it doesn't get skipped, but even having it in NPC audio/menus would be better than nothing and it would be on the player to investigate without Alt F4.
Last edited by Belegur85 on May 18, 2024, 9:20:18 PM
Wording bad (wrong or misleading). Had to do research to find out how it works. If it would instead say "x% chance to split the item" it would have been much better.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info