"An unexpected disconnection has occurred" Consistent disconnections in 3.22

Been playing POE for a very long time now, this is the first time these disconnections have happened to me personally.

I've been getting them roughly every 5-10m of game play. Got a pretty stable connection of 200mb/s down 40mb/s up
This has not happened to me last league, which was just a few days ago.

Wondering if anyone else has been getting these issues too or is it just me?

Last bumped on Apr 12, 2024, 3:28:06 AM
Yeah same here. Never really had issues before this league, but getting disconnected about every 30 minutes - 1 hour. I've restarted router/modem, tried different gateways, etc. Nothing is working. This has never happened before in past leagues just started recently.
Same here. Been a few days and still crickets from GGG, while they post about other things.

I can't even stay logged in anymore, and the last one was so bad it took my whole network down with it. Whatever the F it is it's ONLY happening with PoE and it keeps getting worse and it's kind of insane.

It feels like PoE is trying to download or upload a metric F load of data all at the same time because running it literally bogs everything down. If I run a speed test for example I drop for 250mbps to around 6mbps (if I can even log in).

This has never been an issue before, as I've been live streaming PoE in 1080P for years with full browsers open, PoB lots of other programs, even watching Youtube videos, and I don't get any major hiccups in connectivity. But whatever they did just tanked the hell out of my connection.

Every time I try to log in, if I can get in, it happens again and I get like 30,000ms lag spikes, and then the game kicks me and everything returns to normal when I exit the game. It doesn't matter what gateway I choose. It's something fundamentally wrong with the client and what it's doing.

I'm not looking for miracles, but a simple acknowledgement from GGG would be freaking nice.

Side note: It's the same whether I use the Steam client or the Native PoE client. Changing from Vulcan to DX anything doesn't matter (someone else suggested). It's so frustrating. Plus I'm missing out on a lot of early league stream time/content generation.
Last edited by LennyGhoul on Aug 26, 2023, 9:30:03 PM
Same for me here.
First thought, it has to be something with my setup or my connection, as none of my friends has this issue.
Same here, started a new thread about it, trying to be more specific, It seems to happen when I return to my hideout from trading.
i also started having unexpected dc since this league, tried vpn didnt work, but increasing the gpu memory usage in nv control panel helped a bit

also i had the performance meter on and can see that the memory usage reaches very high for me one second before the latency starts to come in, sometimes latency comes in before the memory spike

in addition to that i noticed cpu latency pulses like a heart beat from 10ms to 50ms frequently now in hideout or certain areas that used to be very easy to load
Same here.
On 3.22.1 and completely unplayable.
Every few seconds, the game completely freezes and auto exists to the login screen.
Already have latest graphic driver.
Same here as well. If Im lvling in zones it seems to be mostly fine. But when i return to my hideout or town Im getting DCed every few minutes. Before this most recent TOTA patch yesterday I was having absolutely zero disconnects since league start.

EDIT: The exact message I get when i dont CTD is "vk::Queue::submit: ErrorDeviceLost" which only pops up when loading into a town.
Last edited by Arch4ik on Sep 6, 2023, 5:20:03 AM
I get this all the time now.
Before 3.22.1 game was running all day even if I`m away. I had 0 disconnects.
Now I`m getting disconnect every 10-15 mins.
I have to admit Its convenient that portals does not disapear but Im wasting portals and once map failed coz I got 2 disconnects.
Now im afraid to start labyrinth and heist - I dont believe everything will be fine and I have 1 entry only.

Edit:
Tried to be useful and found in game files:
... \Path of Exile\logs\Client.txt

Nothing interesting inside but I managed to search for: "Abnormal disconnect: An unexpected disconnection occurred" and looks like I was disconnected 21 times in total for my gametime. Last 16 of that disconnects happened in last 8h gameplay. So looks like I lied I`m disconnected once/30 mins on avr. Sorry.

Update: After I watched my traffic for long time and started pinging all instances I`m connecting I realized the problems I had was mainly with IP range 23.109.*.* When I was pinging few IPs from this network they start losing packages in the same time while others from network 92.204.196.* was more stabe.

It looks like some internet problem in Netherlands mainly or your provider there was overloaded at the time.

At the end I decided to move to Frankfurt and for my surprise I was able to play with same characters. Whoever made this decision is a genius!

Life is brighter now.
Have a great day!
Last edited by Steam_Dreambreaker on Sep 6, 2023, 9:24:53 PM
cant play the game anymore i always have this "unexpected disconnection" notice whenever i log in..it was just fine the other day even though its laggy but today not anymore.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info