[3.24] Splitting Steel Champ - All Uniques, Cheap League Start, Mapping, MF, Sanctum

"
Pangaearocks wrote:
"
corosou wrote:
Spoiler

If you're new to the game, you really need to stick to the guide.

Why are you still leveling Double Strike? And where is your Vitality? I also didn't call you to grab Grace, nor Dread Banner. We need the Accuracy from War Banner, not more Chance to Impale from Dread.

You also didn't follow the pathing order and should already have switched to a 2H axe.

Perseverance is great, but also a very popular item and most likely going to be rather expensive at League Start. Belt of the Deceiver is gonna cost 1c, has Resistances, Intimidate and less Crit damage taken. Thrillsteel is also 1c.

GL

EDIT: Forgot to mention and important reason I don't go for Perseverance; it can get very expensive to buy the Corruptions I want on a Helmet, while a nicely double-corrupted Thrillsteel can be very cheap.
Spoiler

Didn't try to copy this guide, I went my own way, heh. Don't think it makes sense to base a starter on (double) corrupts and whatnot, and wanted to eventually path up to Charisma.

So feel free to laugh at my efforts I guess.

In any case, after very sloooowly killing the first Kitava, think I'll have to abandon this Splitting Steel idea. Maybe it's awesome in end game with lots of good gear, Nimis and whatnot, but this simply wasn't fun. Felt like I hit with wet paper. This was the only SS guide I found, so that's why I posted here in the first place. Back to not knowing what to start with now lol. Maybe I'll revisit this idea, but don't think I dare to start with it.

Playing attack, and especially melee, is different compared to spells. You mostly played spell based chars that got to endgame or followed builds for attack ones. But you did make mistakes on the splitting steel

1. you have 2 banners, only one can be used at a time
2. No totem. That's a huge dps loss
3. No herald of purity. Big dps loss
4. GMP. The overlap is minimal at the early stages, you should go for Vicious Proj first. You shouldn't mind the extra proj for now.
5. Blood rage. If you have enough life sustain, good dps boost + frenzy during clearing
Also early, you need to craft with vendor recipe the highest dps base that you can find, be it 2h axe or 2h sword. Yours is good enough but you could go with a vendor recipe + AS craft

TL;DR, the build is functional, it just might not be for you at the moment

EDIT: i forgot one main point: the gem hasn't been buffed yet.
Last edited by dreais on Dec 6, 2023, 8:39:08 AM
Removed

+0.4 metres to radius

Isn't that a pretty big deal, losing 40% AoE (since it's now just 1m)? That could potentially wreck most of its overlap potential which was a huge part of the skill's DPS.
"
kandynsky wrote:
I'm guessing this one is gonna be pretty good in this league. Really well done.

PoB got updated recently. Any news on the updated PoB link as well?

EDIT: Really curious about which masteries you think will be best as we don't have Call of Steel anymore. It's been some time since I last played anything with Impale.

Just scroll up, the 3.23 PoB League Start Export is a few posts above this.

Unfortunately, the Call of Steel masteries are still there after the update, so I dunno what will be there in 3.23, but that part definitely has not been updated.

They are still part of the Export so people don't try to test this before 3.23 is out without picking up those masteries.
"
dreais wrote:
Spoiler
"
Pangaearocks wrote:
"
corosou wrote:
Spoiler

If you're new to the game, you really need to stick to the guide.

Why are you still leveling Double Strike? And where is your Vitality? I also didn't call you to grab Grace, nor Dread Banner. We need the Accuracy from War Banner, not more Chance to Impale from Dread.

You also didn't follow the pathing order and should already have switched to a 2H axe.

Perseverance is great, but also a very popular item and most likely going to be rather expensive at League Start. Belt of the Deceiver is gonna cost 1c, has Resistances, Intimidate and less Crit damage taken. Thrillsteel is also 1c.

GL

EDIT: Forgot to mention and important reason I don't go for Perseverance; it can get very expensive to buy the Corruptions I want on a Helmet, while a nicely double-corrupted Thrillsteel can be very cheap.
Spoiler

Didn't try to copy this guide, I went my own way, heh. Don't think it makes sense to base a starter on (double) corrupts and whatnot, and wanted to eventually path up to Charisma.

So feel free to laugh at my efforts I guess.

In any case, after very sloooowly killing the first Kitava, think I'll have to abandon this Splitting Steel idea. Maybe it's awesome in end game with lots of good gear, Nimis and whatnot, but this simply wasn't fun. Felt like I hit with wet paper. This was the only SS guide I found, so that's why I posted here in the first place. Back to not knowing what to start with now lol. Maybe I'll revisit this idea, but don't think I dare to start with it.

Playing attack, and especially melee, is different compared to spells. You mostly played spell based chars that got to endgame or followed builds for attack ones. But you did make mistakes on the splitting steel

1. you have 2 banners, only one can be used at a time
2. No totem. That's a huge dps loss
3. No herald of purity. Big dps loss
4. GMP. The overlap is minimal at the early stages, you should go for Vicious Proj first. You shouldn't mind the extra proj for now.
5. Blood rage. If you have enough life sustain, good dps boost + frenzy during clearing
Also early, you need to craft with vendor recipe the highest dps base that you can find, be it 2h axe or 2h sword. Yours is good enough but you could go with a vendor recipe + AS craft

TL;DR, the build is functional, it just might not be for you at the moment

EDIT: i forgot one main point: the gem hasn't been buffed yet.

Really appreciate you taking the time to do this in-depth analysis! Thank you!

Please feel free to help other newbies, if you feel up to it.

GL
"
Drazath wrote:
Removed

+0.4 metres to radius

Isn't that a pretty big deal, losing 40% AoE (since it's now just 1m)? That could potentially wreck most of its overlap potential which was a huge part of the skill's DPS.

I don't think anyone knows 100% what this means, and anyone that claims to know so, is most likely full of it.

We'll just have to see on Friday what it's really like.

Personally, I'm not worried about it...

"
corosou wrote:
"
kandynsky wrote:

EDIT: Really curious about which masteries you think will be best as we don't have Call of Steel anymore. It's been some time since I last played anything with Impale.

Unfortunately, the Call of Steel masteries are still there after the update, so I dunno what will be there in 3.23, but that part definitely has not been updated.

They are still part of the Export so people don't try to test this before 3.23 is out without picking up those masteries.

Fair enough. I've seen the updated PoB link, and it's looking pretty nice. I'm just curious about the masteries.

PoB calculations don't seem to go into play in this case, so I guess it's trial and error.

If you have any vague ideas, I'd love to hear about them, because the last time I played an Impale build was before the masteries. lol
Hello!

Atziri's Disfavour is a good choice for the build?
tyvm
"
kandynsky wrote:
Spoiler
"
corosou wrote:
"
kandynsky wrote:

Fair enough. I've seen the updated PoB link, and it's looking pretty nice. I'm just curious about the masteries.

PoB calculations don't seem to go into play in this case, so I guess it's trial and error.

If you have any vague ideas, I'd love to hear about them, because the last time I played an Impale build was before the masteries. lol

There's not much to say really; we have enough Impale without the masteries, so nothing that will make or break the build.

"
matheus18 wrote:
Hello!

Atziri's Disfavour is a good choice for the build?
tyvm

Atziri's is a great choice for this setup!

YWGL
Last edited by corosou on Dec 6, 2023, 4:09:10 PM
GG Standard Gear Showcase

Hi Fellas,

So, just wanted to show you "THE Best of the Best" gear I've gathered through several leagues of testing this setup.

Also, so we can all get one last look at some of the fun Alternate Quality Gems that fit this build, so that you can keep an eye out for similar effects in the new 3.23 Transfigured versions.

I think all this gear is still attainable in 3.23, minus the Enchants and the Legacy Dying Sun.

Double-corruped Lioneye's + Dragonfang's + Awakened Fire Dmg. + Tattoo put Splitting Steel at Level 30.

I also put this setup together to confirm that Awakened Fire Dmg. Sup. + Herald of Ash is a viable alternative to Brutality + Herald of Purity; even though a Pure Phys. Dmg. setup might look better on paper, Herald of Ash feels great as it chains from the many projectiles piercing.

Anyway, I've had a great time working on this build for several leagues now, and I'm glad the skill is finally getting the attention and changes it deserves!

For any of you that decide to give this guide a shot, please do share your setups, and let us all know here on the forum how you're enjoying the build.

Here's a PoB Export of that toon imported: https://pobb.in/zKo_M57ZVV3Z

GL
Last edited by corosou on Dec 7, 2023, 12:31:59 AM
3.23 Call of Steel still exists!

That's why the Call of Steel Masteries are still in the 3.23 tree ;)

Comparing the old Splitting vs new these are the diff:

Old: Splits towards 5 Targets
New: Splits towards 7 Targets

Old: +.5m to radius
New: Base Radius 1.6m

Old: Split Proj deal 35% less dmg
New: no penalty on Split Proj

Old: 20% Inc. Impale Eff.
New: 40% Inc. Impale Eff.

Old: Consumes 1 Shard
New: Consumes 2 Shards

GL