Searing Bond

"
sagiterios wrote:
i just gave a go at remaking my old lightning warp searing bond build. I am noticing that the small area burn around the end of the beams simply doesnt exist anymore. It isnt on me , it isnt on the searing bond totem and it isnt on any of the warp totems. The build makes a lot of use out of even that tiny area so it is making clearing quite a bit slower. IS this intended, is it a bug? It still says the area exists on the tooltip, but it either doesnt exist in game or the area is so small you cant trigger it when you literally walk into the mob

It is a bug, GGG said they are looking in to it.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
so is that bug fixed?; because if it is, then this skill is pretty bad mechanically.
there are melee white mobs that currently, kill the totem(within melee range) and not get damaged at all ...

is that "intended"?.

Last edited by kreca73 on Aug 26, 2016, 11:38:42 AM
I don't have that problem when running my reverse shockwave totems. Just a side not, I have not used lightning warp totems since Empire's Grasp was introduced as they are significantly less effective then shockwave totems + empire's grasp.
I'm using Siege Ballista and Searing Bond, with the Skirmish quiver

I summoned 1 Siege Ballista totem and 1 Searing Bond totem,then I wanna summon a additional Siege Ballista totem,the former 1 disappeared.

So totally I can't summon 2 Siege Ballista and 1 Searing Bond totem.

Just 2 Siege Ballista or 1 with Searing Bond,the Skirmish quiver doesn't works well with Searong bond.
Skirmish only grants +1 Totems to Attack Skills. Siege Ballista and RAT would benefit from this but not from Searing Bond which is a Spell Skill.
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
currently leveling a searing bond character with Realm Ender, Shadow (Trickster, only lvl 42).

the skill is pretty strong, but really hard to understand:

- it benefits from DoT nodes from the tree, but does not have a "duration" tag
- it benefits from some DoT support gems (efficacy), but not from others (swift affliction).
- it does not benefit from spell damage, but has the "spell" tag

- it does not seem to trigger "patient reaper", although only the last line of that ascendency node mentions "killed an enemy affected by your damage over time". I will test this some more, once I leveled further (maybe my life recovery rate is still too low to notice), but nontheless:
searing bond also gives the player a small burning effect, so technically, when the totem is behind and the player runs into a pack of mobs, it is the player's DoT that kills monsters. I guess the source of the players damage is still the searing bond totem, so that's why it doesn't trigger "patient reapers" last line. it makes sense that way, but again, is difficult to puzzle out, what exactly works with searing bond.

all in all, still a nice skill, but could need a rework on its tags, so it becomes clear what DoT support will affect it and which won't.
"
PopeJo wrote:
- it benefits from DoT nodes from the tree, but does not have a "duration" tag
- it does not benefit from spell damage, but has the "spell" tag

Tags of a gem are not an indication of what supports or benefits the skill. The only mechanical purpose of tags is to group gems by types for modifiers such as "+2 to level of socketed projectile gems" and such [1].

Only the actual properties and mechanics of what the skill does matter for deciding what affects it. Searing Bond deals Damage over Time, thus it is affected by DoT modifiers. It does not deal any Spell Damage, thus it is not affected by modifiers to Spell Damage.

Damage over Time fundamentally can not be Spell Damage, these two are different damage sources. Some skills have a stat that explicitly makes Spell Damage affect their Damage over Time component (e.g. Scorching Ray or Righteous Fire); but Searing Bond does not have this modifier.

"
- it benefits from some DoT support gems (efficacy), but not from others (swift affliction).

Efficacy says "Supports any skill that deals damage or has a duration". Searing Bond deals damage, thus it is supported by Efficacy.

Swift Affliction says "Supports any skill that has a duration, or can hit enemies to inflict ailments on them". Searing Bond never hits anything, all of its damage is Damage over Time. Thus the second condition does not apply.

But Searing Bond does not have a duration either. The skill is active for as long as the totem that is using it is alive. This was recently changed in patch 3.3: Skill Duration modifiers no longer affect the lifetime of a totem [2]. Thus Searing Bond does not have any duration component anymore. So neither of the two condition applies, and Swift Affliction does not support Searing Bond.

The descriptions of support gems are the only piece of information that describes which support gems support what, and they are very specific.

"
- it does not seem to trigger "patient reaper", although only the last line of that ascendency node mentions "killed an enemy affected by your damage over time". I will test this some more, once I leveled further (maybe my life recovery rate is still too low to notice), but nontheless:
searing bond also gives the player a small burning effect, so technically, when the totem is behind and the player runs into a pack of mobs, it is the player's DoT that kills monsters. I guess the source of the players damage is still the searing bond totem, so that's why it doesn't trigger "patient reapers" last line. it makes sense that way, but again, is difficult to puzzle out, what exactly works with searing bond.

Are you looking at your character screen or watching how fast you gain life? Life Regeneration and Life Recovery are two different stats that do different things. Your character sheet only shows the value of Life Regeneration. Patient Reaper increases your Life Recovery Rate, which is not displayed anywhere. But it should indeed make you gain life faster from any over-time source.

"
all in all, still a nice skill, but could need a rework on its tags, so it becomes clear what DoT support will affect it and which won't.

Again, that is not what the tags of a skill gem are for, and you will get the wrong answers if you interpret them in that way.

[1] Mark_GGG, Some Mechanics questions answered by Mark
[2] Bex_GGG, Path of Exile: Incursion (Content Update 3.3.0) Patch Notes
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Jun 25, 2018, 3:12:40 AM
Thank you very much for the explanation. That clears things up :)

my mistake
I overlooked that "DoT" and "duration" are separate things. So in hindsight, searing bond works like the "death aura" on death's oath, that deals DoT and doesn't have a "duration" either (but can, unlike a searing bond totem, be supported with "arcane surge" and via that support gem, benefit from "duration").

on the issue of Tricksters "Patient Reaper" node and Searing Bond, however:
- the "recover on kill" effects get triggered when using spell totem + skill (I tested with bladefall + poison + spell totem and with vortex + spell totem)
- the "recover on kill" effects do not get triggered by searing bond

have I overlook something else, can someone confirm, or should I report it as a bug?

and, just to be thorough:
- as it should be, non of the above triggered the "killed an enemy affected by your damage over time" (not even the poison kills from BF posion totems, while in the past (breach league) poison kills, even when not dealt by the player (eg. dealt by minions), would sometimes get attributed to the player)
- as it should be, all of the above and "killed an enemy affected by your damage over time" get triggered when enemies die of vortex DoT (without totem)

EDIT:
The swift killer node offers:
"

+1 to Maximum Frenzy Charges and Maximum Power Charges
15% chance to gain a Frenzy and Power Charge on Kill
5% increased Damage per Frenzy charge
5% increased Damage per Power charge

kills with searing bond do not give any charges on killing monsters (traps however, do)

so that means: patient reaper should also not grant effects on spell totem kills?
Last edited by PopeJo on Jun 26, 2018, 3:28:08 PM
So, out of curiosity, as I love the concept of searing bond, is it ever gonna get a buff it rework to bring it back to the level of even the worst skill gems in the game?

I feel like one of my favorite skills has been neglected and wonder if it will ever be viable / usable again...
with the recent buff to searing bond in patch 3.13, im trying some stuff out ingame and decided to suggest that it somehow also did some damage inside the beams, if they closed a geometric shape. even if it was like a small value like 10% of the total damage over time value, it would make gameplay a lot smoother.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info