Diablo Immortal coming to PC

"

there comes a point where you have to decide, as a gamer, whether your personal moral outrage has any real bearing on the situation whether you play a game or not, especially when we're talking about developers and publishers with huge and generally shady ultimate owners (i.e. most of them now).

For myself, whether to trust Blizzard with my time on any game depends on how confident I am that they won't/can't screw around with the game rules on a continual basis.

If some future version of Diablo looks good (visuals, play style, challenge balance etc), and can be played offline without DRM BS, I might consider giving it a try. If Blizzard can "tweak" the game on a regular basis, than I am more likely to want to eat flaming porcupines whole.

GGG is getting bad with their play style control as well. The GGG devs should be focused on creating new and more challenging content - not altering how existing players and characters play the game.

Yeah, they've been successful so far. So was Netflix. When companies stop paying attention to their customers is when they begin inching closer to an inexorable decline. GGG isn't there yet. IMO, they should add new Tier 17-20 encounters, higher character levels and smarter AI style mobs.

Everquest was a good example of how GGG should be expanding their challenge content. If PoE 2.0 follows the same Meta/Nerf/Meta/Nerf cycle as PoE is now doing, it won't be much better than Diablo 3 was.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on May 1, 2022, 3:41:07 AM
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"

there comes a point where you have to decide, as a gamer, whether your personal moral outrage has any real bearing on the situation whether you play a game or not, especially when we're talking about developers and publishers with huge and generally shady ultimate owners (i.e. most of them now).

For myself, whether to trust Blizzard with my time on any game depends on how confident I am that they won't/can't screw around with the game rules on a continual basis.

If some future version of Diablo looks good (visuals, play style, challenge balance etc), and can be played offline without DRM BS, I might consider giving it a try. If Blizzard can "tweak" the game on a regular basis, than I am more likely to want to eat flaming porcupines whole.

GGG is getting bad with their play style control as well. The GGG devs should be focused on creating new and more challenging content - not altering how existing players and characters play the game.

Yeah, they've been successful so far. So was Netflix. When companies stop paying attention to their customers is when they begin inching closer to an inexorable decline. GGG isn't there yet. IMO, they should add new Tier 17-20 encounters, higher character levels and smarter AI style mobs.

Everquest was a good example of how GGG should be expanding their challenge content. If PoE 2.0 follows the same Meta/Nerf/Meta/Nerf cycle as PoE is now doing, it won't be much better than Diablo 3 was.

As usual, I agree broadly with what you've said. DI and very likely D4 will absolutely be online only and subject to the usual GaaS shenanigans. There's no avoiding that now. I adjust my expectations accordingly, and enjoy what they choose to offer rather than indulging in the futility of expecting or even demanding DRM free/offline friendly game design from a company that has entirely embraced the volatile, compelling GaaS model for most if not all of their products. I reckon if you're clinging to a DRM-free, mostly static/stable gaming existence, you're going to be mostly dwelling in indie land (not a bad place to be) and the occasional blips like Elden Ring and Outriders, neither of which landed very well on PC -- and on console, DRM is sort of a given too. My ps5 is always online and instead of dreading patches, I get excited when I see one.

That last bit though. I believe we might not agree which side of the gate the horse is on, even if we both agree it's probably dead, Jim. I also think your t-17-20 suggestion is way too susceptible to power creep, but that's another abused beast I'd rather not flog.

Finally, PoE 2.0 was called 'The Awakening' and gave us that delightful little stroll through Sarn's Greatest Hits we call Act 4. PoE '2' will be 4.0. I swear I'm not nit-picking here: 2.0 was awesome. 4.0 doesn't even exist yet. Important that we remember both, I think.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
I think it's also worth noting that PoE2 (4.0), is an alternative "new" campaign with a shared PoE1 endgame. Presumably maps still, but maybe a new twist or something.

Obviously this is still quite preliminary, but this doesnt represent a next-gen or vastly different version of PoE.

Sure there will be new skills, weapons, builds, and new equipment/socket systems to pair with a loot update(hopefully for their sake), but I really fail to see how this will compete with D4. Perhaps that isnt the objective at all. To remain in their niche, which by all accounts has been sucessful is arguably the better move.

Monetization of a F2P expansion purely through MTX that have been promised to carryover is another conversation all together.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on May 5, 2022, 12:54:30 PM
Let's hope that overselling an expansion as a sequel is where the similarities between GGG (PoE '2') and Blizzard (Overwatch '2') end. I'd genuinely be gutted to learn that Wilson and Kotick had any more in common than basic anatomy and native language (give or take).
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
"
https://www.pcgamer.com/diablo-immortal-is-coming-to-pc-after-all/

I'm sure many of us will play it, I wonder for how long. I'm a little burnt on PoE atm but Elden Ring has been fun and still has some time left in it for me.

I don't think mobile games may compete somehow with PC games.
"
mountbaton wrote:
"
https://www.pcgamer.com/diablo-immortal-is-coming-to-pc-after-all/

I'm sure many of us will play it, I wonder for how long. I'm a little burnt on PoE atm but Elden Ring has been fun and still has some time left in it for me.

I don't think mobile games may compete somehow with PC games.

In terms of revenue, it's PC and consoles games that don't compete with mobile. A quick google confirms this, so...I dunno, are you living in the past?

Besides, Diablo Immortal *won't* be just a mobile game. As with Genshin Impact, it's getting an official release on PC. Which, all f2p/p2w bullshit aside, is a good thing because the game doesn't really run very well on most devices at max quality. It'd never pass for a modern triple A PC game but I think the production values are too high to be wasted on a mobile game. And I also think that a casual gamer wouldn't be able to tell Diablo Immortal from Diablo 3 at a glance...but that'll come down to how well DI handles higher resolutions. I've only played it on my 11 inch samsung, so I honestly can't say how the same game will look on a full sized screen. There were times, though, when I felt DI was a PC game crammed down to mobile, so hopefully Blizzard can let it be what it really wants to be, at least aesthetically.

It is fun.
Don't spend any money, enjoy the free (really good) campaign, the good story (well, not "good" but cool to see some familiar characters again) and then forget about it.
Played it on my Phone at work while taking a dump and continued on my PC at home. Kinda cool. Yes, nothing new, but it just works flawlessly.
Last edited by Sonderlinger on Jun 3, 2022, 11:50:28 AM
"
zakalwe55 wrote:
Well, it's no Diablo 4 but maybe it can be a Diablo 3.5. I thought Last Epoch would emulate POE's FTP model but Diablo Immortal has beat it to the punch. Diablo Immortal is FTP with different passes offering cosmetics and separate cosmetics in the store.

LMAO !

Aged like you know what.
Diablo Immortal as a "game" is a disgrace and calling it f2p with the knowledge of the insidious and predatory monetization scheme embedded in its soul is either wildly misguided or utterly foolish.
Last edited by ladish on Jun 7, 2022, 11:56:18 PM
"
ladish wrote:
Diablo Immortal as a "game" is a disgrace and calling it f2p with the knowledge of the insidious and predatory monetization scheme embedded in its soul is either wildly misguided or utterly foolish.

So is the notion that you are somehow forced to engage.

I fail to see why Blizzard has to defend themselves in the mobile game arena in terms of monetization. Have you seen the top mobile games? Where is the outrage for them?

I'm not a Blizzard apologist by any stretch, but fuck me, its easy to just not play DI and move on.

Outrage and cancel culture is so fucking toxic with the new generation. Its so very exhausting.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info