I finally got to try Elden Ring

Disclaimer: I never played any Dark Souls games so I’m new to this.

I’m not in too far, but that’s perfectly okay with this game.

What Elden Ring has done wrong:
1) It’s obviously out of the gate designed for XBox, but I’m playing on PC, and the keyboard configs are not designed well for PC, even when you convert over to Keyboard UI. Gear rotation is tied to the right side directional keys while also expecting you to play with a mouse for attacking and guarding, and potions share a slot with your mount summons and throwing weapons, which makes combat rotations very rough. It also expects you to use wasd to move and strafe attacks so basically the default settings expect you to have 3 hands. Can be fixed, but I haven’t done it yet.
2) character creation is crude and doesn’t offer tooltips to benefit, and every slider has a confirm before you can exit to adjust another slider.
3) Spoiler: Game uses the same kind of intro recently used in Resident Evil: Village where you are designed to die- a lot-as part of the development. ( not a big deal: it’s trying to establish that your character isn’t alive but really a remnant with a task).

What Elden Ring does RIGHT:

EVERYTHING ELSE

I mean it.
There is no quest clutter, and clues are dropped in dialogue, not a ton of text.
The game immediately makes you aware you aren’t God’s gift to gaming but originally so weak that a boar can kill you, or a shabby dog. You immediately will experience annoying CC mobs that poison, bleed, or paralyze with echolocation. You will meet riders who will hunt you down, dragons, large abominations, and fortifications that will rain down arrows on you.
But that’s okay. All mistakes cost you is you current purse.

Elden ring doesn’t have currency or Exp, so to speak. Instead they hold a shared purpose, and the primary sources are not trying to kill things that kill you, but rather found objects, that you can hold onto until it’s safe to turn them in for gear or parts or Levels. If you prematurely convert them and then die, expect to lose them as you only get 1 shot to recover them.

The game generally has a very different understanding of aggro ranges as well. Some monsters start petrified unless you do something. Some just attack around corners. A dragon you meet pretty early in the game has aggro at any range it can see you; In other words, if you can see it, it can see you, and prepare to be incinerated from 3 football fields away.

The game has consumable munitions, which compete with leveling and income for progression. They’re much stronger and safer than trying to combat, but when it takes 5-6 shots to kill 1 target and the recipe to craft those consumables takes 2-3 kills of something for base materials, you often give back a lot of what you earn. If you choose melee, you’ll often be going to save spots just to refill potions.

The fact that everything competes for your currency, including munitions and levels, slows the game down and makes it satisfy your needs, and keeps reminding you how weak you are.

How do I think it stacks up to POE?

I think of all the games currently coming out, Elden ring is the only one in competition for PoE players.
It satisfies the same needs of the grind and generally the same solo play no pressure, without being told what order to play, and without graduating you into a false sense of immortality in the core game, like Poe does from story to maps. It doesn’t make building a bad build that dead ends actually feel like one, like PoE does. The cost to fix the build is minimal, and there are things to do even with a bad build. Combat is facing and heavily driven by specific weaknesses, something you don’t feel in late game PoE. You don’t have the experience of missing attacks if your wep is on the right and your enemy approaches from the left, or melee 1v3 with the mobs in your armpits preventing you from fighting. Elden Ring also makes it very obvious on some mobs you should never melee, because they can literally grab and maim you and it doesn’t feel like “wtf just killed me?”

Poe 2 looks to tighten the experience a little with facing wep sand new combat systems and dynamic environments, but atm, Poe doesn’t stand a chance vs Elden.
Last bumped on Mar 28, 2022, 4:15:08 PM
Elden Ring? The most anticipated game of the year? Elden Ring is good. Very good. As much as I like PoE, it doesn't compare to Elden RIng when it comes to quality. Quantity, on the other hand - and longevity? Well, that's another discussion. I don't know if From has any plans of furthering develop the game with expansions and stuff.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
I dunno, Mario Kart 8 is probably better.

But all things being equal, Wordle probably gives them all a good run.

Now if only we could combine all the best parts of Elden Ring, Path of Exile, Mario Kart 8 and Wordle. My god, I can hear the committees wetting themselves over the (lack of) possibilities from here.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 13, 2022, 1:00:21 AM
"
Now if only we could combine all the best parts of Elden Ring, Path of Exile, Mario Kart 8 and Wordle.

Just wait a year or two, and they have to implement Wordle elements to combat bots. We all look forward to that.

"Oh, so you wanna run this map, do you? Well, better guess this word first, Sir!"
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Lmfao it took 1.7 hours to bury this in “off topic”
The best part of Elden Ring is invading "casuls" with an eclipse shotel and fire's deadly sin, XD.

Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Mar 13, 2022, 7:38:51 AM
mazochistic game for mazochists..

10/10 score from paypalspot.com is absurd.

the game is tops 6/10.

God of war can be as difficult if u turn the slider up and its 2000 times more captivating and more interesting.

Elder ring-
-Graphics- 7/10
-Story - 1/10
-Gameplay -0/10
-tutorials- (-20/10)
"
SneakySanta wrote:
mazochistic game for mazochists..

10/10 score from paypalspot.com is absurd.

the game is tops 6/10.

God of war can be as difficult if u turn the slider up and its 2000 times more captivating and more interesting.

Elder ring-
-Graphics- 7/10
-Story - 1/10
-Gameplay -0/10
-tutorials- (-20/10)

I really don’t think you have even touched the game with those scores. GoW? Lmfao someone is in love with Ares as a pro wrestler with weps
"
SneakySanta wrote:

-tutorials- (-20/10)

-20/10 for tutorials!? Games in this series don't hold your hand.

Sounds like someone got gated by margit.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Mar 13, 2022, 8:16:31 AM
"So I Tried Elden Ring"

https://youtu.be/LSyRf8rAjTs

Enjoy! =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info