Massive lag spikes after being AFK for around 30 minutes

For the past week or so I've been experiencing massive lag spikes if I leave my game open (generally in my hideout, but I've experienced this issue in areas like the Mastermind's Lair as well) for at least 30 minutes without changing zones. The issue exacerbates itself the longer I've left my character AFK (beyond 30 minutes the lag will get progressively worse, bordering on freezing when moving). Changing zones appears to fix the issue (as well as restarting the game).

In order to help diagnose this issue I used a benchmarking tool called CapFrameX to graph this issue and it's rather telling that this issue does exist.

A link to an imgur album of my findings with the benchmarking tool can be found here. The actual benchmark file that you can import into CapFrameX to check it out yourself is here, uploaded to Dropbox as the file is 40MB.

Of note: while the benchmarking tool doesn't note an increase in CPU usage during the spikes, the CPU graph in-game shows increased CPU MS during the spikes.

Here's some additional information;

- DxDiag
- Game is set to Windowed Fullscreen
- Game is set to DirectX11 as the renderer, but the issue also occurs with Vulkan
- Game has Engine Multithreading enabled, but the issue also occurs with it disabled
- FPS is uncapped and dynamic resolution is disabled
- Graphics card is and AMD 5700XT, CPU is an AMD Ryzen 3700X, drivers are up to date
- Reinstalling drivers does not fix the issue

Any help would be appreciated. I've read that GGG support doesn't really help out in this section which is unfortunate if so, but hopefully there's someone here that can help me out.
Last bumped on Aug 10, 2023, 10:20:18 AM
try joining a global and trade chat nobody uses. see if it stops the spikes.
Very cool mirror Service: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3227915
Sorry if this is a necro/grave dig, but I experienced similar issues today going AFK for 30 mins-an hour or so at a time.

I play on full screen windowed, vulkan renderer, with a 1080/5600X. The only thing that fixed it was switching to a new instance (i.e. leaving a heist (and the "lobby room")). POE's statistic debugger thing said CPU was spiking but usage appeared normal on task manager.
Same issue here with dx12 and vulkan as well.

I use a 6900xt with a 3900x

So far I see that we are all using ryzen processors and the lag is cpu based according to the ingame performance graph.
Hello There,

I have same issue,

Using Ryzen 5900x
32gb 3600 Sticks
3080TI
m.2 Poe installed on.

Massive latency lag on my CPU sometimes it's unable to play and have to reboot the game to get it back to normal....

Like wasting Simulacrium portals or full juice maps my CPU latency goes from 5ms to 30+ have seen a worse case of afk in hideout going all the way to 150ms.

Has anyone found a solution yet ??
Just reporting in that i have the same problem. If i leave the game running, and come back later. In-game is a slideshow and cpu ms goes crazy. For me it gets fixed by changing zone, so not a big issue, but i hope it is not stressing my cpu too much.

EDIT: Also ryzen cpu, 3700x. nvidia 2070 SUPER card.
Last edited by Ollister on Jun 2, 2022, 11:37:09 AM
Same issues, I think it started when the new portal stability feature was introduced like it's just banking more and more information. Can anyone confirm if it's with portals open or closed as well?
Same for me, huge CPU spikes on ingame graph however CPU is not even 30% busy.
Happens when you have opened portals in your hideout for a while as Soulcry_POE mentioned.
Once you leave hideout portal closes and performance goes back to normal.
I7-8700K, RTX3080TI
No, this does not depends on portals.
CPU spikes after ~20 minutes of AFK.
Minion build by the way.
Same issue

After beeing AFK have huge lags

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info