Multistrike

This support creates some serious desynchronization because of autotargeting (as mentioned before, Cyclone is the best example) and I think I know why.

Assume we have Heavy Strike + Multistrike and mob1, mob2 and mob3 at melee range.

You target mob1, attack is sent to server. Then autotargeting on your computer chooses mob2 as next target, but it seems that this information is not sent to server. This means that server can easily choose another target for two consecutive strikes.
You saw 1-2-3 on your computer, but server chooses 1-3-2 or 1-3-1 or 1-2-1.

Situation become much worse with skills that assume movement.
Example: We have Flicker Strike + Multistrike.
Mob (1) is standing at doorway, (2) is standing in next room (no line of sight between you and (2)), (3) stands in same room, notices you and starts moving closer to you.

||...(2)...................
||====(1)========
||.................(3).....
||.....(X).................
||=============...

You click on (1) (already stepped out of doorway), hit it, then autotargeting chooses next victim. Here's fun part. Due to latency, (2) noticed you on your computer and started moving some miliseconds earlier than on server. At the moment you hit (1) and next target is chosen, the following situation can happen: on your computer (3) is already closer to you than (2), but on server (2) is still closer.
Local:
||====(X)========
||......(1)................
||..........(3)............
||=============...

Server:
||====(X)========
||......(1)................
||..............(3)........
||=============...

So server chooses (2) instead of (3). So your second jump will be in different rooms!
With Cyclone, situation becomes even worse. Not only you can end off in different location, but after 2-3 Multistriked cyclones (6-9 spins) you can end up in situation where you stopped whirling locally, but will whirl for some more seconds on server. With each spin it becomes worse and worse. That's how I died like 3 screens away.

If I am right, solutiopn is simple: Client should treat all three actions as normal attacks, not only the first one.
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
Last edited by Sarganis87 on May 13, 2013, 11:49:00 AM
Is the "more attack speed" bonus seperate from the "attack 3x" bonus? That is say I have an attack speed of "1".

I use multistrike. Now let's say my MS is at 100% more attack speed for ease of calculations. Does that mean I now do "2" attacks per second, and each of those attacks hit's 3x so it's actually 6 attacks per second?
"
Lunares wrote:
Is the "more attack speed" bonus seperate from the "attack 3x" bonus? That is say I have an attack speed of "1".

I use multistrike. Now let's say my MS is at 100% more attack speed for ease of calculations. Does that mean I now do "2" attacks per second, and each of those attacks hit's 3x so it's actually 6 attacks per second?

No in that case you do 2aps but always 3 attacks at a time using that attack speed - so 3 attacks over 1.5seconds.

EDIT: Would be sweet though - then my Templar would do 18aps ;)
IGN Standard: HolyPatman
IGN Anarchy: UnholyPatman
Last edited by AlmightyPatman on May 10, 2013, 8:04:59 AM
Relative newbi here I just wanted to come on and voice my confusion about this sup gem.

Why isn't the stupid targeting part mention in-game? I mean seriously I'm not that high lvl and I only ever look up stuff on the forums or wiki if I feel I need additional information before making a decision. So just a few hours ago i spent probably 20 of fusing and jeweller's each on a new chest piece that dropped just so i could use dual strike with multi and a few others.
Imagine my surprise when i first saw my duelist hitting random mobs and me being unable to just kill 1 priority target.
After that nasty surprise i quickly looked up the gem on wiki and there I saw the description in full. So I have to ask again what is the point in not putting that shit in the actual game?

Other than that i guess I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to make any other comment on the skill.
"

If I am right, solutiopn is simple: Client should treat all three actions as normal attacks, not only the first one.
While I would prefer this fix, I have another request/change for multistrike if they don't want to implement that one:

This might mostly help flicker strike and leap slam (maybe not so much cyclone unless it was given a maximum range), but it would be really good if the subsequent attacks from multistrike were kept within range of the player's start location (where 1st attack is initiated), or the target that was first hit (where the 2nd attack is initiated). At the same time it would also probably be a good idea to still limit it to the max range around the player's current location as well (since jumping/teleporting from one side of the circular area to the other would be effectively moving double the distance the game normally allows)

I hope you understand what I mean. If for instance the area was range of the 1st hit and the target was right on the edge of it, the skill would then have a Venn diagram area where it could target next, being about half the normal area considering the first target was right on the edge.

"
xarxan wrote:
Relative newbi here I just wanted to come on and voice my confusion about this sup gem.

Why isn't the stupid targeting part mention in-game? I mean seriously I'm not that high lvl and I only ever look up stuff on the forums or wiki if I feel I need additional information before making a decision. So just a few hours ago i spent probably 20 of fusing and jeweller's each on a new chest piece that dropped just so i could use dual strike with multi and a few others.
Imagine my surprise when i first saw my duelist hitting random mobs and me being unable to just kill 1 priority target.
After that nasty surprise i quickly looked up the gem on wiki and there I saw the description in full. So I have to ask again what is the point in not putting that shit in the actual game?

Other than that i guess I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to make any other comment on the skill.
I agree that it should be mentioned the targets of the 3 attacks try to be different when possible.
I think the reason they did it like that is to make it more distinct from faster attacks. It's like the skill zeal in Diablo 2— except a support which could be applied to any melee attack.

If you use the skill with an AoE skill like Cleave or ground slam (or ESPECIALLY sweep), it wouldn't matter as much if you're hitting different targets, because mostly/usually they'd all still be in all 3 area of effects.
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
Last edited by Xapti on May 14, 2013, 5:05:02 AM
"
Xapti wrote:
"

While I would prefer this fix, I have another request/change for multistrike if they don't want to implement that one:

This might mostly help flicker strike and leap slam (maybe not so much cyclone unless it was given a maximum range), but it would be really good if the subsequent attacks from multistrike were kept within range of the player's start location (where 1st attack is initiated), or the target that was first hit (where the 2nd attack is initiated). At the same time it would also probably be a good idea to still limit it to the max range around the player's current location as well (since jumping/teleporting from one side of the circular area to the other would be effectively moving double the distance the game normally allows)

I hope you understand what I mean. If for instance the area was range of the 1st hit and the target was right on the edge of it, the skill would then have a Venn diagram area where it could target next, being about half the normal area considering the first target was right on the edge.

"
xarxan wrote:

I agree that it should be mentioned the targets of the 3 attacks try to be different when possible.
I think the reason they did it like that is to make it more distinct from faster attacks. It's like the skill zeal in Diablo 2— except a support which could be applied to any melee attack.

If you use the skill with an AoE skill like Cleave or ground slam (or ESPECIALLY sweep), it wouldn't matter as much if you're hitting different targets, because mostly/usually they'd all still be in all 3 area of effects.

I think the way it should function should be similar to flickerstrike:
Targeted: hits only that enemy
Untargeted: hits random enemy within range

It's more intuitive & the system is already in place for FS.
Some melee builds would be severely hampered by losing control of the character & this change would give you the option to somewhat keep control of your character.
Any chance to hear an answer from devs?
Multistrike is still retarded as fuck with so many skills.
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
"
Mokak wrote:
Auto Targeting with this is bad on Cyclone. Its annoying when you are trying to attack a rare or boss and it keeps going further and further away because of the auto target. Also it seems to quadruple the desync issues with Cyclone also.

i just tried multistrike with cyclone and i have to say that the form this support gem is in atm is unacceptable. its absurd and doesnt work right. u never hit what u are actually targeting with the last 2 hits! i feel like it has something to do with increased aoe nodes and increased mele range from duelist. i got both of those from templar and duelist and its truly ridiculous how far it reaches. might as well call it the dizzy bow toon.

.14 tooltip cyclone ~1k dps (with resolute) the game cannot keep up with whats going on. this is with unleveled cyclone! i cant imagine the amount of desync ppl get with lvled one lol.
work harder....
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
"
CaptinSupreem wrote:
"

Yep, you are spot on.

MS does not work well with any movement skills at all.

They need to fix the server/client problem asap.

I'm kinda frustrated to have no answer from devs here, or in so many announcements where I posted "multistrike is retarded as fuck" posts.
Going from 40% less damage to 34% will not help obv.

I should also mention Heavy Strike and any other sources of Knockback as having the same problem. Anything melee that moves you or mobs should not be combinesd with Multistrike until devs fix it.
I just hope that GGG will cancel the auto targeting of this gem, it's annoying as when i am surrounded by mob and boss, i try to eliminate the boss asap but i cant. all i can do is just run and hit...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info