Ethereal Knives

I have some noob questions.

1. Will add physical damage ( ex: iron ring ) mods on items other than weapons, boost ek's damage?
2. If I link ek with add lightning damage, will ek gain benefit from elemental damage nodes and add lightning damage mods in items ? ( ex : a ring with 4-48 lightning damage mod )
3. With add lightning damage support gem linked to ek, is it possible to give shock status ailment to mobs ?
4. I understand that a totem wont use mana of the caster. So what do totem use for casting spells ? If I link ek + spell totem and 2 other support gems and 1 aura how the totem will manage the mana cost of ek?
5. If I have hatred aura and add lightning damage support gem linked with ek, can i make mobs freezed/chilled and shocked at the same time ?
6. Which is better for ek, getting %15 increased projectile damage node or %10 spell damage node?
7. If I get %12 physical damage for helping oak in cruel, will it boost ek's damage?
no this is a spell so added damage from gear doesn't work "increased" does but not physical mods on weapons.
yes for elemental and lightning boost, no for added damage from equip.
yes
don't worry about that, they'll never "run out". also the aura would be a separate totem.
if the added lightning is connected to EK and not the hatred aura, yes.
both of those work on ek so, the higher number you said (15%).
yes
"
zekerferc wrote:
1. Will add physical damage ( ex: iron ring ) mods on items other than weapons, boost ek's damage?

No, any integer damage from gear will not added to EK

"
zekerferc wrote:
2. If I link ek with add lightning damage, will ek gain benefit from elemental damage nodes and add lightning damage mods in items ? ( ex : a ring with 4-48 lightning damage mod )

The lightning portion will gain benefit from elemental dmg nodes, but not from weapon elemental dmg nodes. From items only if it is %lighning dmg, not from integer values

"
zekerferc wrote:
3. With add lightning damage support gem linked to ek, is it possible to give shock status ailment to mobs ?

sure

"
zekerferc wrote:
4. I understand that a totem wont use mana of the caster. So what do totem use for casting spells ? If I link ek + spell totem and 2 other support gems and 1 aura how the totem will manage the mana cost of ek?

it sustains itself, the costs of totemized spell/ranged attack is modified by the totems cost modifier (200%, IIRC) and all linked support gems.

"
zekerferc wrote:
5. If I have hatred aura and add lightning damage support gem linked with ek, can i make mobs freezed/chilled and shocked at the same time ?

yes, all status alignments can be applied at the same time

"
zekerferc wrote:
6. Which is better for ek, getting %15 increased projectile damage node or %10 spell damage node?

get both if you can, if you have to choose, then the higher value

"
zekerferc wrote:
7. If I get %12 physical damage for helping oak in cruel, will it boost ek's damage?

yes, also the %phys dmg from non-weapon gear like 25% from unique belt
Do elemental damage nodes effect this skill? or does it effect the Aura part of it (ex. Hatred)?
"
Majducu wrote:
Do elemental damage nodes effect this skill? or does it effect the Aura part of it (ex. Hatred)?

Hatred/Added Fire only, the spell is physical and physical isn't elemental.
Does the damage from added fire damage not display on the tooltip for the skill? Because i have a 5L and when i put on AFD the tooltip shows no change in damage, and i am not getting the fire dmg art when i attack some bad guys.

I've been using Ethereal Knives on my Low Life Ranger with dual RedBeaks, Hatred, and Projectile Speed and various options such as FrostWall and RemoteMine or SpellTotem, GMP + Arctic Breath with Bear Traps.

When running a Low Life build getting Chaos resist is essential, which you'll find is reflected in my gear posted above.

With Low Life and Wondertrap you get awesome drops and damage with ethereal knives. I've found that two
also buff the physical component of the spell which is awesome.

I use Projectile Weakness curse to boost the power of Arctic Breath and Ethereal Knives. Ethreal Knives has been my signature build for quite some time.

If you take a look at my passive tree you'll see that I took Pain Attunement along with as many movespeed and chaos resist nodes that I could. My build could still use a bit of work and experimentation. But it's good enough to get me through end game content.

The main problem with Low Life play in general however is that you cannot see ANYTHING on the other side of door ways inside of dungeons. I think that aught to be rethought. Isn't going with Low Life a handicap enough for it to also mean that you literally can't see any of the things that are shooting you until you are in melee range?

Passive Tree: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIACC4OrREPES0UdRmKGY4c3B0UIzEkPCepKPoppSq6LJwtHy2DO-FDY0PSRKtGcUk6SVFVrlb6WPVabWaebRlvnnFNdEF713yDf8aCW4lrjr6PRo-mj_qQvpUglwaaz5uNm7WdxKKjpwinK6dcqKKq-K_rsNK3MbiTu9bB2MHzwzrDbcSiykrN-tGp037i9-fq6-7sGOx07YPvevF298H5M_rS_MU=
Last edited by BearCares on Feb 25, 2013, 2:09:15 AM
I have created a shadow solely based around this skill.
It is insanely effective against hordes of monsters up to a point where it could be considered overpowered. But on the other hand it really sucks against all bosses, exluding vaal. (because of the constant minions and no es on him)

allthough a very fun skill to use i would maybe see it scale with Dex or some sort of weapon damage even if that would delete my favourite character because it would become worthless

it would also be cool if you could manipulate the arc the knives fire like you can with bow skills.

Btw i dont view fork as extremely powerfull of a support. sure it is the most funny thing in the world since you will oneshot everything that comes in a pack of 20% but also means if those weak enemies are gone, the spell becomes useless :D
Last edited by M3phisto on Feb 25, 2013, 10:30:33 AM
Question:

Does this spell work with mana/life leech % on equip, bloodrage or mind drinker?

I fear it does not, as it says attack damage and this is technically no attack, which would be really bad, but I cant tell for sure.

Sorry if this has been asked before!
I took the time to read through most of the thread, but I could not find a 100% solid statement.

Thanks! :-)
"
Taipion wrote:
Question:

Does this spell work with mana/life leech % on equip, bloodrage or mind drinker?

I fear it does not, as it says attack damage and this is technically no attack, which would be really bad, but I cant tell for sure.

Sorry if this has been asked before!
I took the time to read through most of the thread, but I could not find a 100% solid statement.

Thanks! :-)

You're right this is a spell, not an attack, so it doesn't benefit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info