PoE freezing/locking entire computer since last patch

Worked almost the entire day today by using specifically windowed mode + dx11, but ended up in a similar computer crash after a couple of hours.

Any idea when next update is coming so it's actually possible to play the game?

After testing a lot of different graphical settings I managed to get a good look (for the first time) that the frametime-graph ingame spiked to over 2200 before the reboot happened.

Not sure if this is something that can help you.
I am having the same issue. I can be in town looking through my stash and my computer will hard lock and I will have to hold down the power button to restart the computer.
Last edited by bubsterb01 on Feb 24, 2021, 10:18:01 PM
This is happening for me as well, this didn't start occurring until after the last patch on thursday or friday (can't remember what day). I was playing, logged off and when I came back there was an update. Been having problems ever since. At first I thought I got a virus because I downloaded path of building. I've since reformatted my system, re-installed and am still seeing issues with POE. Before this patch I was running at 120 fps or higher with resolution at 5120x1440 and everything set to the highest settings.

I experienced a hard crash on boot for starting the game, within 20 seconds of my character loading. I can attach a dxdiag if needed but I'm running a ThreadRipper 1950x and a 2080ti, nvidia drivers are up to date. I haven't installed my specific mobo drivers with this most recent windows install but I don't have any issue running any other game at ultra high settings at 5120x1440.
Last edited by GaubanSTK on Feb 24, 2021, 11:53:53 PM
I noticed nvidia updated their drivers at the end of january and as I was unsure of when the problems started I decided to rollback and try an earlier version.

I'm running an older version version 460.89 (december update) and dx11 appears to work with unless I've been miraculously lucky. Vulkan is still completely bricked.

Will do more testing later today/this week to see if this update actually is stable, and if it's possible to play with dx11.
edited orignal post. New nvidia drivers appears to have solved it for now.
I thought problem was solved but it's not. Vulkan still forces a reboot of computer in very often (can replicate at will in High Gardens A8 within a minute) and dx11 does it randomly about once every 2-3 hours (can not replicate at will).

No problems in any other games and I've done all forms of stresstests, and made sure I have no hardware failure.
I have the same issue, i know this is an old thread, but i just cant seem to find a FIX on any of the thread, alot of people are having the same issue with no fix posted or whatsoever. I reply to this thread in hopes that someone knows the answer.

I've been forced to restart my PC several times after my game froze and i cant even end task it or bring the task manager up. it happened 3-4 times today and i have no idea why.

I dont want this game to kill my PC :(

i have a AMD ryzen 5 3600 and RTX 2070 Super
So i should have no issue playing the game, switched the vulkan,dx12,dx11 around with no effect.
"
FatHuntresS wrote:
I have the same issue, i know this is an old thread, but i just cant seem to find a FIX on any of the thread, alot of people are having the same issue with no fix posted or whatsoever. I reply to this thread in hopes that someone knows the answer.

I've been forced to restart my PC several times after my game froze and i cant even end task it or bring the task manager up. it happened 3-4 times today and i have no idea why.

I dont want this game to kill my PC :(

i have a AMD ryzen 5 3600 and RTX 2070 Super
So i should have no issue playing the game, switched the vulkan,dx12,dx11 around with no effect.

same here. and my boyfriend has this as well. He even completely wiped his pc just a few months ago. But since GGG doesn't provide tech support anymore because who knows, I guess we're required to hard reset every time this happens.

It happens rarely, but enough to be concerning. This also happens ONLY in POE, no matter whether DX11, 12 or Vulkan selected, our graphic settings all set to low for best performance, even tho our hardware is decent, since POE just runs pretty poor due to its bad optimization.

My specs:
Gigabyte B550M Aorus v2
Ryzen 7 5800X
Powercolor RX 6700XT Red Devil
2x 16GB DDR4 RAM (GSkill RipJaws V)
game installed on an S-ATA SSD (SanDisk Ultra, 2TB), Windows on an NVMe SSD 970 Evo Plus

my bf's specs:
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Ryzen 7 3700X
Powercolor RX 6800XT Red Devil
2x 16GB DDR4 RAM (GSkill RipJaws V)
game installed on an NVMe SSD, the same as the OS is on. I think it's also a 970 Evo Plus.

We're both on Windows 11 (I'm on build 22621.1555), latest stable AMD drivers. I think it happened on Win10 before, I can't remember.
He has XMP enabled, I don't, and we both get the freezes - I've read in some reddit post that some RAM issues and/or not optimized voltage could be the cause, but since I'm running default voltages, I'd doubt it's that. Also as I (and multiple other people who've ran into this issue) have already said, it's only occuring in POE, and no other game or application.

Since GGG blamed it on the hardware specs before in this post... I'd highly doubt it's the specs/Windows version/driver version/whatever else you want to blame it on this time. It's your badly optimized game, guys. We're not the only ones having these issues. And it's pretty weird that it's only in this game, whereas other games, newer or older, run just fine.
~
Last edited by moodymud on Apr 22, 2023, 5:15:42 PM
I'd like to second that. My PC meets all technical requirements but still crashes completely when playing POE. I am a returning player with the same PC as before by the way, I feel this is important.

I noticed it only happens for me when I find (and initiate) an Abyss encounter - when rare monsters spawn it's only a matter of a few seconds before entire PC freezes - this is reproduceable. If I don't touch it, nothing goes wrong.

Second instance is Delve. Sometimes I can complete one trip but in most cases game will crash during the ride, taking the whole PC with it. Again, reproduceable. What is interesting is that I loved Delve when it first came out and I played A LOT of it without an issue. As mentioned I was on the same PC as now, I have only upgraded my GPU 1,5 year ago.

The fact it's usually very specific and only encountered in POE makes me think it's an issue with the game itself. The abovementioned encounters have both some unique graphical assets to them and the spawned monster count is really high, so maybe the issue lies somewhere here?

Anyway, hopefully this will get patched in the future. Best I can do is give some specifics to consider when narrowing down the issue. I hope GGG will take a glance at this thread once more :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info