PSA: Octopath Traveler 50% off on Steam

If you haven't played, I would recommend. For $30, I don't think you can go wrong.

It's a pixel art game, JRPG/RPG, with turn based strategy elements. A bit old school in terms of design with longer battles, and a bit grindy.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last bumped on Oct 31, 2020, 4:49:33 AM
Curious that your endorsement doesn't mention it's actually a Square Enix game rather than a wannabe. Possibly not relevant, given it's not a big Squeenix franchise, but still, I'd consider that a selling point.

Watched the GF play some on Switch. Definitely got that old JRPG magic woven into its bones. Reminded me more of Suikoden or Odin Sphere than FF with its multiple character storytelling.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Ha! Yeah that is odd, I think I had intended to mention it wasn't some indy game.

Tbh I'm not sure I'd recommend at full price, but at half off, no brainer imo.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
And now temporarily costs the same as the RRP for the console release.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
I played a bit. Don't like how it requires you to level up all your characters manually. Old school in this case means wasting time walking in circles until you hit a random fight. Eh, a pass.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
Don't like how it requires you to level up all your characters manually

As opposed to...?

Auto-leveling or what do you mean?
- Abraham Lincoln
Either your entire party gets the same amount of exp or the characters you don't use get less than the ones you use or completing quests gives exp to everyone while fighting gives only to the party members that fight. Either way it'd be much better than not getting anything.
bought this a while ago, and tbh i've just not installed it
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
I bought it on sale. There are so many good games this time a year that I didn't think I'd ever get around to playing it. Hell, I haven't even beaten Borderlands 3 yet and they are releasing new skill trees in November. Anyways...

I played it past the two hours mark so it's too late to return it now... I will say that I THOUGHT it would be really conservative with its game mechanics, but some of the design choices surprised me with how unusual and interesting they are. Like the fact that there is a Cleric character who can preach to most NPCs and talk them into FOLLOWING THE PARTY AND FIGHTING ALONGSIDE THEM!!

I was like LOL REALLY!!?

And then there is the Huntress character who is basically a Pokemon master and if an NPC is blocking your path in a town you can just challenge them to a pokemon battle and knock the NPC out and go into their house and take their treasure.

I mean don't let the pixel art fool. You this game is challenging. It's very min-max-y and to be honest the gameplay is very interesting.

Bottom Line: There is a lot more value to this game than just the pixel art and throw back qualities. It's basically like Etrian Odyssey but FF style.
I just started playing it again... and 8 hours in its getting pretty good. The mechanics are opening up. And overall I'm enjoying it more than the last Dragonquest game that I played. Recommended!

lol my cleric just Summoned an [Elderly Woman] into combat lol!
Last edited by BearCares on Oct 29, 2020, 10:22:51 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info