Yay for Baldurs Gate 3 =)

True rpg players lets have fun Baldurs Gate 3 online
Last bumped on Oct 21, 2020, 8:27:56 PM
Looks more like Divinity Original Sin 3.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
"
gandhar0 wrote:
Looks more like Divinity Original Sin 3.

It does. Which isn't a bad thing in itself, as D:OS 1 and 2 are some of the greatest games ever made. But it certainly does not look like Baldurs Gate. Too bright and too... "Happy"?

Sure it will be an awesome game, tho.

I'm having my DnD turned-based urges put out by the PC version of Gloomhaven these days. Fan-fucking-tastic. And as that is an early access title with a few (not many) bugs, and I've had my share of bugs in PoE, I'm putting BG3 on hold until it's finished.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Oct 6, 2020, 1:32:41 PM
online? you'll be beta testing for them then, and paying for the privilege.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Oct 6, 2020, 1:59:54 PM
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
online? you'll be beta testing for them then, and paying for the privilege.

I dont get your point. it is better to have something to play before release, its a choice for hyped people.

And PoE is an eternal Beta game, its was never really fully released. And you pay for it yes, like everyone else, cause sucks trying to play this game with no stash tabs.
This looks like it could really be a true successor for the old AD&D games. At least, I hope so...

But, I also hope it comes to next-gen consoles. I'm fully on-board with the PC Master Race thing, but the only way I'll be able to play it with friends in on console. :) (All of us being older, sitting in a "comfy chair" or "couch-potato'ing" through a game is about the best we can safely manage.)
Infinity Engine games, Baldur's Gate + add-on Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate II Shadows of Amn + add-on Throne of Bhaal, Icewind Dale + add-on Heart of Winter, Icewind Dale II and Planescape Torment are my all time favorite games. I've been enjoying them ever since they came out, many full playthroughs, vanilla and with lots and lots of many different mods registered through the years. Plus I played Never Winter Nights with both expansions, Neverwinter Nights II with both expansions, Temple of Elemental Evil vanilla and with its superb mod Circle of Eight (and others), just to name a few of the most notable and celebrated d&d RPGs.

A Dungeons and Dragons game that caters to the needs of streamers and their audiences? Really?

We're daydreaming here, I'm afraid that we're in for a rather nasty surprise and a rude awakening. But I honestly wish they prove me wrong.

Edit: Game coming out as Early Access Beta (with Level 5 max or some such ridiculous decision) is NOT a good omen, though...
Ἀρχή Σοφίας ἡ τῶν ὀνομάτων ἐπίσκεψις -Ἀντισθένης ἁπλοκύων
Last edited by Nizhidrhamannit on Oct 6, 2020, 4:03:12 PM
"
A Dungeons and Dragons game that caters to the needs of streamers and their audiences? Really?

We're daydreaming here, I'm afraid that we're in for a rather nasty surprise and a rude awakening. But I honestly wish they prove me wrong.

I do hope they prove you wrong. I also largely agree with you. The one exception there is that I think these games are pretty good for "streaming" or at least "videos."

This is one of my all-time favorite "Let's Plays" -

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL556F1496C0E76833

Kikoskia also does Let's Plays for many of the D&D games and is pretty darn entertaining, throughout. :) (He's my favorite for these sorts of games. (Party-based RPG) For older RPG games as well.)

There's no denying, though, that streamable games make for large audiences and large sales figures. It's literally "free marketing." How many developers are going to pass up the chance of having a title holding an audience held "captive" for hours on end? All while being up-front-and-in-their-face? Heck, we'll probably see future 4X titles dump loads of in-depth mechanics and economics models just to add "'splosions" and fast-play action just to get streamer attention.

I don't know much about Baldur's Gate 3 in this light. Is there anywhere specific you can point me to in order to see what they've purposefully done to make this game more "streamable?"
@Morkonan wrote:
"There's no denying, though, that streamable games make for large audiences and large sales figures. It's literally "free marketing."

Undeniably!

@Morkonan wrote:
"How many developers are going to pass up the chance of having a title holding an audience held "captive" for hours on end?"

Not many, more like... none, actually --regretably so, might I add.

I was mostly referring —with horror— to on-line, live streaming and the interaction between the streamer and their audience, in certain situations regarding decision making concerning the plot, as clearly stated by that flemish or belgian guy head of the project (the one that does some neat cosplay wearing full metal armors sometimes) in a podcast or something like that.

Streaming of game sessions made by knowledgeable people for any kind of games, I really have no objection to, on the contrary, oftentimes I find them interesting and enjoyable. But live streaming, especially of a d&d RPG, and the successor of my all time favorite game at that, with live interaction between the protagonist on stage —so to speak— and the audience (including imbeciles, mwahahaha), makes me have second thoughts, smells kinda funny, like a cheap soap opera on trash tv.

He also mentioned that the game will be mod-friendly, something that the Infinity Engine games excelled at, and was literally cherished by the whole community, modders and players alike, and the one thing that kept those games alive and kicking all these long years. Now how on earth can this be even possible for an on-line game that'll be constantly patched and updated?

Note that I don't deny their good intentions, but as they say the way to hell is full of good intentions. That's why I HONESTLY wish for them to prove me wrong.
Ἀρχή Σοφίας ἡ τῶν ὀνομάτων ἐπίσκεψις -Ἀντισθένης ἁπλοκύων
"
Note that I don't deny their good intentions, but as they say the way to hell is full of good intentions. That's why I HONESTLY wish for them to prove me wrong.

It's sort of like an objection at the impropriety of revealing something that is meant for a more intimate experience?

All of the previous titles have first been focused on that intimate single-player experience. Even NWN was focused more on that than any multiplayer elements. The custom servers and hosting and multiplayer "experience" was a gimmick or an interesting side-trek more than a key game element.

Things change...

There's always the argument of "singleplayer vs multiplayer" and what gamers want. I think we all know that gamers want both. They just want singleplayer for their singleplayer and multiplayer for their multiplayer... :)

Rimworld likely owes the entirety of its overwhelming success to "Let's Plays" and "Streams." It's a very "active" builder/manager game. There is something dramatic happening at any one moment and the player is necessary every moment... That makes for good streaming.

"Story" reveals... don't make for good streaming. Nobody catches every episode and few have the time or willpower to suffer through the boring bits. (Even so, people watch Stardew Valley for some darn reason...) Few people are going to sit through multiple sessions of a story-based "Adventure" game. Only the proudest navel-gazers of the genre are going to stomach fifty-eleven episodes of "Myst." :)

The "modular" nature of most D&D type games as well as what is usually an "all encompassing" storyline with character development, RPG "growth" and character building elements, new places to see every step of the way, all lend themselves fairly well to "storyboard streaming with action elements" kind of stuff. It's a good format for "episodic" pieces, still with a main storyline and clues to be found along the way.

Considering a typical D&D-like episodic session, it may be that could influence "streaming." And, vice-versa... What if, for instance, the developers pushed to have every "step" through the story and subplots and side-adventures take anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes, each? Maybe three main quest-lines taking 45 minutes each? No more, no less, just right for different types of streaming/video audiences?

At that point, I would certainly say that it was a game designed around streaming and not for the greater good of the game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info