I Miss Boem...

Whatever Boem is doing now, I hope he is having a Merry and Peaceful Christmas.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
Not quite. It's when a user is deemed too problematic due to multiple infractions to deal with from that point onwards.

Forum community wise, the most well kjown3permaprobate has to be BMBI1. To my knowledge he never did any one thing that would warrant a straight up ban but instead was so frequent a flyer of the Red Badge of Arnie Spamming that a day became two days became 4 became 8 and so on.

I also don't think it's standardised. I was threatened with permanent removal not that long ago and my current probation duration is much lower than it should be due to a slatecleaning when I deleted the main account. I was up to 3 months on that one. Since then it's been mere days, maybe a week. So either there was a conscious 'second chance' bought with my old account's complete obliteration OR whoever probated me last few times didn't know who I was. And let's be honest -- that's not likely.

So no, it takes more than merely disagreeing with moderators. That is to their credit, although they are very good at stonewalling if they feel you are wasting their time. It takes becoming a serious burden on the staff, at which point excision is deemed a better move than just another bandaid.

Many thanks for sharing your insight. I must have very limited visibility then because I don't remember ever seeing that kind of behavior from Boem.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
DalaiLama wrote:
Whatever Boem is doing now, I hope he is having a Merry and Peaceful Christmas.

he's around. he's even playing the current atlas invasion event and has a lvl 75 char

(Hi boem!)
Last edited by Lyutsifer665 on Dec 27, 2021, 2:28:44 PM
"
Turtledove wrote:
"
Not quite. It's when a user is deemed too problematic due to multiple infractions to deal with from that point onwards.

Forum community wise, the most well kjown3permaprobate has to be BMBI1. To my knowledge he never did any one thing that would warrant a straight up ban but instead was so frequent a flyer of the Red Badge of Arnie Spamming that a day became two days became 4 became 8 and so on.

I also don't think it's standardised. I was threatened with permanent removal not that long ago and my current probation duration is much lower than it should be due to a slatecleaning when I deleted the main account. I was up to 3 months on that one. Since then it's been mere days, maybe a week. So either there was a conscious 'second chance' bought with my old account's complete obliteration OR whoever probated me last few times didn't know who I was. And let's be honest -- that's not likely.

So no, it takes more than merely disagreeing with moderators. That is to their credit, although they are very good at stonewalling if they feel you are wasting their time. It takes becoming a serious burden on the staff, at which point excision is deemed a better move than just another bandaid.

Many thanks for sharing your insight. I must have very limited visibility then because I don't remember ever seeing that kind of behavior from Boem.

Some stuff can happen behind the scenes as well. I am not sure but that might have been the case with Sexcalibur. Either way it became harder to track once deleting posts rather than editing them became much more common. I am vehemently against that and would go to some effort to moderate on a micro level doing my best to extract any acceptable material from a post should it prove problematic but realistically that is just not something you would expect from a customer support shift worker. They aren't all pedantic English/crearts grads after all. And they have other duties than babysitting here. So sooner or later a heavier handed approach was inevitable.

Oh man when people quote me these days I keep seeing some of my wicked phone typos. The old me would be horrified but eh I know now how unimportant it is here compared to being basically understood.

I still go back and fix them though...

---

Several permabates are in game or at least were when I quit, including Bambi.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
It's worth noting that Boem was also just incredibly active on here. Even now, after over a year of being probated, he still has nearly 22,000 posts to his name. That's 6.74 posts per day - higher than anyone in this thread. In fact higher than anyone else I know of here. So it might just be that he was punished for, effectively, just giving the mods too much work.
"
Exile009 wrote:
It's worth noting that Boem was also just incredibly active on here. Even now, after over a year of being probated, he still has nearly 22,000 posts to his name. That's 6.74 posts per day - higher than anyone in this thread. In fact higher than anyone else I know of here. So it might just be that he was punished for, effectively, just giving the mods too much work.

More active just means more chances to step out of bounds, and you're only allowed to step out of bounds so many times. Since it's not a ratio of good to bad posts, that just increases the likelihood of negative comments adding up.

I've only ever been probated once and that was more a misunderstanding of what I said rather than me stepping out of line. I made a comment about exiles in POE basically committing genocide in each zone because they just kill everything in sight. That earned me 24 hours. But it only takes a few of those with the progressive duration of probation. Hell, even referencing the infraction gets me a little nervous.

They need some sort of cooldown period that removes infractions from your record over time. People have a bad day, say something out of line, and get probated. It happens. This current system just encourages people to use other accounts to post.
Last edited by Nubatron on Dec 29, 2021, 6:39:10 AM
"
Nubatron wrote:
This current system just encourages people to use other accounts to post.

Tbh, I feel like this current system actually just encourages people to switch over to Reddit instead. Which is probably fine by the GGG mods since it's less work for them as they're able to just palm off the moderating responsibilities to the Reddit mods. And then periodically guilt trip everyone on Reddit - most especially the mods - by telling them all about how their staffs' mental health is suffering because of the toxicity there, which of course isn't their problem to fix since it isn't their site. With the result that the Reddit mods try to clamp down more in order to make the place more welcoming for GGG, and taking whatever backlash that generates from their community onto themselves. So in the end the GGG mods have less moderation to do, while Reddit has more. Except the Reddit mods aren't paid, so putting more work onto them is like assigning your unpaid intern to handle customer service calls - it's practically exploitation.
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
Nubatron wrote:
This current system just encourages people to use other accounts to post.

Tbh, I feel like this current system actually just encourages people to switch over to Reddit instead. Which is probably fine by the GGG mods since it's less work for them as they're able to just palm off the moderating responsibilities to the Reddit mods. And then periodically guilt trip everyone on Reddit - most especially the mods - by telling them all about how their staffs' mental health is suffering because of the toxicity there, which of course isn't their problem to fix since it isn't their site. With the result that the Reddit mods try to clamp down more in order to make the place more welcoming for GGG, and taking whatever backlash that generates from their community onto themselves. So in the end the GGG mods have less moderation to do, while Reddit has more. Except the Reddit mods aren't paid, so putting more work onto them is like assigning your unpaid intern to handle customer service calls - it's practically exploitation.

There isn't anything in your post that I would dispute. I was more referring to anyone who might want to engage with this forum after receiving a few probates though.

Boem may very well be active in the forums right now and not using his signature sign off due to the ban evasion rules.

Hell, for all I know you're a Boem alternate, and you created this thread to build up your ego. Or everyone in this thread is Boem. The only thing I know for certain is that I'm not Boem. Or that's just a misdirection. :)
Last edited by Nubatron on Dec 29, 2021, 8:00:14 AM
Not higher than me. I was around 15 posts a day.

Someone has probably exceeded my total post count across the two main accounts but it wasn't Boem.

Might be The Walrus Formerly Known as I_NO.

:)

My favourite probation was quite early on when I basically suicide-bombed a very stubborn troll. Certain people who weren't allowed to say so publicly found it amusing. Heh.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Dec 29, 2021, 11:10:27 PM
"
Might be The Walrus Formerly Known as I_NO.

Come to think of it, what happened to I_NO?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info