Anyone reading books?

Ive noticed audible and amazon gives plenty of free books. It peeked my interest. Have read books in the past but nowadays not so much.

Are there any cool books you might recommend? Sci-fi, science fiction or something not boring documentary type of book would nice.

While paid books are ok, maybe some knows free books to recommend?
I swear if they make some maven "Simon says" insta-death minigame, sirus, exarch ball minigame then i wont play poe2.
Last bumped on Apr 29, 2020, 11:52:40 AM
"
webas wrote:
Ive noticed audible and amazon gives plenty of free books. It peeked my interest. Have read books in the past but nowadays not so much.

Are there any cool books you might recommend? Sci-fi, science fiction or something not boring documentary type of book would nice.

I've read far too many good books to recommend individual titles (I average about two books a week), but here is a list of authors that I really like:

Philip K Dick
William Gibson
Peter F Hamilton
Greg Bear
A A Attanasio
Iain M Banks
David Brin
Alistair Reynolds
Paul J McAuley
Isaac Asimov
Arthur C Clarke
Larry Niven
Robert Heinlein
Alfred Bester
Michael Moorcock
Kurt Vonnegut
Frank Herbert
Roger Zelazny
Gregory Benford
Decided to start reading "The Otherland" Tad Williams series. I've had them for years, but never got around to reading them...
Does anyone else feel like they have to have the physical book as opposed to the kindle book?
For some reason, it just doesn't give me the same feeling when reading a kindle book, vrs reading a paperback. I know that Kindle saves space, etc, but I still enjoy the feeling of holding an actual book.
"
Mentoya wrote:
Decided to start reading "The Otherland" Tad Williams series. I've had them for years, but never got around to reading them...

Tad Williams is another great author. Despite the Otherland and Booby Dollar books, I still think of him as a Fantasy author, because when I started reading him he'd only written the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series.

"
Mentoya wrote:
Does anyone else feel like they have to have the physical book as opposed to the kindle book?

I'm the same. Though luckily for me I don't care if a book is new or not, so I get most of mine from second hand bookstores and book fairs. The closest city to me has an annual book fair where most of the books are $2, and I'll buy around 40 there each year. When those run out I buy about a dozen or so at a time from the second hand book store.
"
Mentoya wrote:

Great series. I read them during my vacation between first and second year at university. Once you read one, you want to read them all. One of the few books that could grip my attention all the way through.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
"
LennyLen wrote:
"
webas wrote:

I've read far too many good books to recommend individual titles (I average about two books a week), but here is a list of authors that I really like:

Philip K Dick
William Gibson
Peter F Hamilton
Greg Bear
A A Attanasio
Iain M Banks
David Brin
Alistair Reynolds
Paul J McAuley
Isaac Asimov
Arthur C Clarke
Larry Niven
Robert Heinlein
Alfred Bester
Michael Moorcock
Kurt Vonnegut
Frank Herbert
Roger Zelazny
Gregory Benford

Havent found a single free book to read. Might try buying one randomly, no way around it.

Any book worth in sci-fi thematic to have a look?
I swear if they make some maven "Simon says" insta-death minigame, sirus, exarch ball minigame then i wont play poe2.
wtf is book
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
webas wrote:
Any book worth in sci-fi thematic to have a look?

Those authors I listed encompass quite a few types of sci-fi. What are some books in particular that you have enjoyed?

But in any case, I'll try to recommend just one (book or series of books) from each of them:

Philip K Dick - Ubik
William Gibson - Neuromancer
Peter F Hamilton - Great North Road
Greg Bear - Eon
A A Attanasio - Last Legends of Earth
Iain M Banks - Consider Phlebas
David Brin - Earth
Alistair Reynolds - Pushing Ice
Paul J McAuley - Fairyland
Isaac Asimov - Foundation and Empire series
Arthur C Clarke - Rendezvous with Rama
Larry Niven - Ring World
Robert Heinlein - Stranger in a Strange Land
Alfred Bester - The Stars My Destination
Michael Moorcock - A Nomad on the Time Streams
Kurt Vonnegut - Cat's Cradle
Frank Herbert - Dune
Roger Zelazny - Lord of Light
Gregory Benford - In the Ocean of Night

"
LennyLen wrote:

Isaac Asimov - Foundation and Empire series

The one from Asimov, someone once recommended to me.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info