Wolcen humiliated Path of Exile

"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
DiabloImmoral wrote:
Yeah Wolcen is currently an abomination but if they can survive for a few years without abandoning ship they can salvage something great out of it.

For how bad the game is it's definitely "overpopular" which just goes to show how desperate people are for a quality online ARPG.

An abomination is probably too harsh.

There is no chance they expected 120k+ concurrent users, and their servers & service just melted. It was easily 3 to 4 times what was expected, and it's not like this is some huge company that just has servers they can get on demand.

The major bugs are related to this (stash, character, progression, duping)

Offline mode works just fine, and minus some bugs/errors in the passive tree & mechanics not linking, you can play unhindered.

If you look what PoE had at launch, it does give you some perspective. (I was there, btw and played through closed beta). Desync & pathing were nothing short of horrific. Rubberbanding, lag, stutters, crashes, it was bad. Some skills were totally unusable. How soon we forget.

Some people are actually having the same issues offline. Characters not saving, stashes vanishing, etc.
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

There is no chance they expected 120k+ concurrent users, and their servers & service just melted. It was easily 3 to 4 times what was expected, and it's not like this is some huge company that just has servers they can get on demand.

Pretty sure they use Amazon AWS for their server hosting like a lot of other games do (if you look in game at the server locations they match up with locations where Amazon have their server centres) which means they can increase server capacity very quickly to match demand. This was just another symptom of an unfinished product.
"
Destructodave wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
DiabloImmoral wrote:
Yeah Wolcen is currently an abomination but if they can survive for a few years without abandoning ship they can salvage something great out of it.

For how bad the game is it's definitely "overpopular" which just goes to show how desperate people are for a quality online ARPG.

An abomination is probably too harsh.

The major bugs are related to this (stash, character, progression, duping)

Offline mode works just fine, and minus some bugs/errors in the passive tree & mechanics not linking, you can play unhindered.

If you look what PoE had at launch, it does give you some perspective. (I was there, btw and played through closed beta). Desync & pathing were nothing short of horrific. Rubberbanding, lag, stutters, crashes, it was bad. Some skills were totally unusable. How soon we forget.

Some people are actually having the same issues offline. Characters not saving, stashes vanishing, etc.

^ I've played 30 hours or so offline, with no problems other than two crashes attempting to exit to the main menu.

That doesn't mean its doesnt happen. Teawrex (a streamer) had an act2 progression bug, but you can fix that manually in the save files.

I've not heard of characters or stash deletion in offline (as that doesnt make sense really)
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Feb 17, 2020, 11:53:09 AM
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Pretty sure they use Amazon AWS for their server hosting like a lot of other games do (if you look in game at the server locations they match up with locations where Amazon have their server centres) which means they can increase server capacity very quickly to match demand. This was just another symptom of an unfinished product.

Server load doesn't have anything to do with an unfinished product.

Many GGG leagues have seen server melts and queues. Let's not get crazy here. Server load issues happen to many launches, as developers have to estimate, and not waste money.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

I've not heard of characters or stash deletion in offline (as that doesnt make sense really)

Save files are saved to \Users\[Username]\Saved Games\wolcen - if your username happened to contain accented characters or other non standard English character then save files were getting corrupted.
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Server load doesn't have anything to do with an unfinished product.

Many GGG leagues have seen server melts and queues. Let's not get crazy here. Server load issues happen to many launches, as developers have to estimate, and not waste money.

If all the problems were simply down to not enough server capacity they would have fixed them in 3 hours and not taken over 3 days. That's the whole point of using cloud servers.
Last edited by RandallPOE on Feb 17, 2020, 12:02:08 PM
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Save files are saved to \Users\[Username]\Saved Games\wolcen - if your username happened to contain accented characters or other non standard English character then save files were getting corrupted.

I know. But most people are going to have their characters deleted before they ever google a work around to a bug they had no idea existed.

Seems crazy they wouldnt fix that ASAP. I mean, people like us coming online talking about games or researching/looking at twitter/discord are the minority.

Imagine some guy right now, bought the game for 40 bucks, played like 8 hours today, and logged off and his character just vanished. And they still waiting till next week at some point to hotfix it.

Makes no sense to me. I imagine most players are going to lose a character way before they even think to look for a work around.

And on your other point; I dont think "server issues" is all their problems. I think its way more than that. They seem to be a company who likes blaming everyone else. They blamed Gamestar for reviewing a test copy, and it seems like everything Gamestar said, still made it into the release copy. They also keep blaming their "partner" for all their online issues, and I just dont buy it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info