Wolcen Hype Release!

"

Pretty much the answer I'd expect from someone with 32 achievements in a notoriously difficult, hardcore grind-a-game you're forced to restart and replay every 3 months. You are probably not the target audience for the game's story. Sorry.

Let's be fair, the story seriously doesn't need 35 hours to be well enjoyed and not miss anything.

I think they did a good job delivering it, though i did see some rushed and poor animation in the last part.
Some clipping in the earlier stuff too and quite a few spelling errors and some errors when comparing the written dialogue with the spoken parts.

Appart from that it's a well rounded story and it has good delivery considering the format, probably setting the standard when it comes to current arpg's and story telling. Not intrusive enough to derail from the gaming aspect but well rounded as far as my experience went.

It's probably the thing they managed the best with this release, because on a lot of the other stuff they didn't manage considering the time spent so far.

Still enjoying it, but the amount of crash/bugs/network fails and glitches are numerous which kind of amazes me when you think about a seven year development history.
I would have thought they would at least get their basic coding done propperly in that amount of time, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Massive props to the area and building designer though he/they did an amazing job on the assets they created.
And the skills feel "oomphy" if that conveys the feeling adequately which is probably also a massive part of the appeal currently.

Just to say somebody rediculing your 35 hour play-through doesn't warrant an "elitist jerk" type of response, your more then likely playing a ton slower then most people who also took their time with the story.

I do like how they set-up the end for that expansion though, solid enough ending to leave it as is while having plenty of room to carry on.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
The story isn't 35 hrs. Run through every area once, no repeats, just go straight through the game, and you're looking at 12-15hrs.

One thing I will say is the first act boss is quite the noob crusher. If you have a bad build just running "whatever seems cool", you will likely get spanked, repeatedly. If you do a little research into what's good (most players don't do this), then you can trivialize it as easily as you can anything else.

Average level for the 1st act boss is about level 20, and 19-20 points is enough to reach one of the OP nodes that gives you a boatload of damage. Etc, Bane of Tyranny. Congrats, you just trivialized the rest of the game.
I'll lay out the OP nodes on the tree for those who aren't aware.

#1 - Siegebreaker (tier 3 red class)

- Bane of Tyranny: Damage is increased by +50 multiplied by your shield's block chance. This is the biggest damage boosting skill by leaps and bounds. This is totally busted, and will 100% be nerfed, count on it.

#2 - Child of Fury (tier 3 red class)

- Furious Appetite: auto regens rage, makes rage function like willpower. Right behind this node:
- Frenzied blows: Skills have 100% rage cost, when rage is over 750, but skills do DOUBLE DAMAGE.

#3 - Plaguebringer (tier 3 purple class)

- Undertaker: Enemies have a change to drop green orbs which add +30% extra damage as poison, and this appears to stack infinitely.

- Horde's Vitality: Expands the above skill to extend the green orb buff duration to 10s instead of 5s, and minions that die can drop green orbs.

#4 - Arms Maester (tier 3 red class)

- Virtuoso stance: Can switch between a defensive and offensive stance by dodge-rolling.

Probing weakness stance can give you up to 15% chance to deal DOUBLE DAMAGE with an attack. For a negligible penalty to resists. This is effectively a permanent +15% MORE damage.

Stalwart Resolve stance give you a sizable block buff, and the damage penalty is additive, not multiplicative, so it's not actually 25% less total damage.

- Ingenious stance: buffs the shield block of by 5%, or change to do double damage with probing weakness from 10%-15%.

Any build that gets all that stuff will be super strong. Your damage potential will be at the absolute maximum. It's literally possible for you to do millions of damage in a hit with some attacks, if probing weakness procs.

However, I recommend getting at least Bane of Tyranny + Frenzied blows + Virtuoso stance or Plaguebringer.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Feb 18, 2020, 9:58:07 PM
Bane of Tyranny isn't just getting nerfed...it's getting absolutely wrecked. It's in the notes for the next update. Plaguebringer likely won't stay the way it is much longer either.

I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:

One thing I will say is the first act boss is quite the noob crusher.

I've read that in multiple places and that hasn't been my experience at all. Fight seems fair.
"
innervation wrote:
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:

One thing I will say is the first act boss is quite the noob crusher.

I've read that in multiple places and that hasn't been my experience at all. Fight seems fair.
It's fair if you haven't already wrecked your build up to that point. Knowing when to move out of the way also helps a lot. Noobs struggle with both of those things... :P
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
"
Destructodave wrote:
You coming off as a paid shill right about now, lol.

Except you fucking know I'm not. If anything, the opposite.

So, yeah.

Nice seeing you around various platforms shitting on the game btw. Good to see you care. ^_^

I gotta look out for my fellow gamers and let them know exactly what they are buying into.

I'm as disappointed as the next guy; I was hoping for something new. But, looks like I'll be waiting on Torchlight 3. I did buy Grim Dawn eventually because of this.

Unlike a lot of these people, I dont believe PoE is some bastion of glory anymore. But, this aint it, chief.

Even with the servers working the negative reviews still outnumber the positive reviews. So the game's problems are much deeper.
Wolcen was good enough to make me want to play arpgs again but not good enough to make me want to play Wolcen itself beyond the first few hours. It doesn't even have fishing.

I'm coming back to PoE. Lots to relearn and I have a lot less time than I did, but still, Wolcen reminded me how much I love PoE. <3
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
Wolcen was good enough to make me want to play arpgs again but not good enough to make me want to play Wolcen itself beyond the first few hours. It doesn't even have fishing.

I'm coming back to PoE. Lots to relearn and I have a lot less time than I did, but still, Wolcen reminded me how much I love PoE. <3

old gang rise up!
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info