Arctic Armour

This skill has no mana cost, but mana drain. Reduced Mana passives don't affect that.
Sorry Exile, but your loot is in another dungeon!
IGN: Delirii
I get that but why. It would make arctic armor a little more accessible at higher levels. It's mana cost by walking is absurd and it seems like it was only made for people with eldrich battery.

Also, doesn't work with blood magic which is also kinda silly.
Last edited by vvolf on Dec 25, 2013, 2:19:43 PM
Arctic Armour has no Cost, no Reserve. It simply applies a Buff, and that Buff drains your Mana. Blood Magic doesn't affect Buffs, it affects Skills.

It's intentional that you need to put a little effort into running Arctic Armour. It's quite doable without EB, too, but you won't be sporting a level 25 version. Just settle for less. Lv15 still makes a large impact.
Yes, at level 15 you need around 200 mana regen /second so you can cast your spells as well as move. This IS possible without EB i guess but not really worth it if you have to spend a gajillion points just getting the mana for it so you can generate the regen. Heck, even if it did work with reduced mana gem, you would still only get it to cost 90 mana / second on a 20/20 gem; still not that easy to maintain.

And I know why it doesn't work with reduced mana cost but I question the reasoning behind it. It just seems a very non-consistent way of doing things by adding a totally new modifier called "mana drain".

Blood Rage does a similar thing to Artic Armour. It adds a buff that damages you for 4% of your life in chaos damage. You can counter it by both having more regen and having more chaos resist and it works within the already established mechanics of the game. It doesn't just make up a new one on the spot.

I don't know. It's not very symettrical, compared to blood rage, or consistent with the game's already established mechanics.

If it said, adds a buff that reduces fire / phys dmg by a flat amount. Buff "costs" x amount of mana while standing, y amount of mana while moving and ends when mana reaches 0, it would be much more consistent.
So this skill IS affected in all aspects by "increased buff effect on you" nodes?

so a lvl 20 AA with 50% increased buff effect nodes

Base:
mana drain 38.3
while running 191.4
Damage reduction 189

with 50% buff effect:
mana drain 57.75
while running 287.1
damage reduction 283.5

so at lvl 20 the total mana drained while running would be 344.85 per second?
IGN: OldManBalls (Warbands)
double post
IGN: OldManBalls (Warbands)
Last edited by demivion on Jan 8, 2014, 10:43:06 AM
Yep. There's only 24% available though.
I don't see why people are whinning so much about the mana debuff, with a little bit of intellect thinking, I'll say again "JUST USE A LITTLE BIT OF IQ!", you can easily bypass it. The skill is good as it is, right now I have 250 mana regen without mana regen rings and amulet nor the Cloak of Defiance while casting 130mana cost per cast fireball, having EB, Discipline & Clarity gives me 4,5k mana and am using lvl 19AR. It gives a good amount of survibability, which very noticeable.
IGN: ArcZero
©ArcZero™
Yes, the skill is really strong once it's high level gem. I'm running 22 Level (20 + 2 from Empower) and skill tree gives 24% boost to it, making it -308 mana per second and -285 damage per hit, my manaregen is 410.8 at the moment, and my other ring doesn't even have manaregen on it. With Discipline it's around 500 regen. Just have to remember, manaregen is the most important. Earlier I used 17 lvl AA and not using Eldritch Battery, the difference to level 22 +24% is so damn big I can't even explain. My old marauder had 49k armour with auras and Rhoa's charged for 400-600 damage even with that amount of armour. Now my new char has 14.7k armour and this 22 level AA, Rhoa's charge for 10-30 damage :)
Last edited by Juhazzz on Jan 10, 2014, 6:58:19 AM
But normal mobs like Rhoas are rarely the problem even with a lvl 19-20 AA :)
If you just run a lvl 20 AA instead, you can skip discipline and free up another aura ;)

It is the hard hitting bosses that is the problem for me, and AA cant help much there.
Last edited by gripen on Jan 10, 2014, 7:46:51 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info