Arctic Armour

what if it drained a % of your mana every second, instead of a flat value?

i know that base mana regen is 0.0165 x mana pool (correct if im wrong). This means you regen 1.65% of your mana pool per second as base regen. So say it starts out at a 2% mana drain per second, and build up to 8.3% by lvl 20. To pay that mana degen you will need roughly a 400% mana regen increase.

Or maybe some other middle value.

Then theres clarity gem. I dont see it as a big problem though, given the high mana reserve. The melee guy who has his 500ish mana pool can run a 300 mana reserve clarity gem and cope with the mana degen thing, at expense of other auras.

The ranged caster already have a high regen via leech, mana regen and or a mix of both. No biggie here :)

Any thoughts?
"
dyneol wrote:
Yeah, so it would seem. Does not make much sense though. The int based toon usually needs his mana for spellcasting - at least he should; and ES provides plenty defense already.
I think youre missing the point- a large mana pool combined with clarity gives you a lot of mana regen. you cant both run and cast your spells - so either you stand and drain little mana + cast or run and drain lots of mana without casting.
"
I think youre missing the point- a large mana pool combined with clarity gives you a lot of mana regen. you cant both run and cast your spells - so either you stand and drain little mana + cast or run and drain lots of mana without casting.

I know. I am just saying that int toons going on ES do not really need more defense. And since they are spellcasters they *should* not be able to fit AA in there that easily without EB. That's why that though to just switch mana drains for move/standing still came to my mind ( ofc, not a real solution, just food for tough ). Summoners on the other hand ...
Last edited by dyneol on Aug 6, 2013, 11:05:14 AM
"
fsk1989 wrote:

i know that base mana regen is 0.0165 x mana pool (correct if im wrong). This means you regen 1.65% of your mana pool per second as base regen. So say it starts out at a 2% mana drain per second, and build up to 8.3% by lvl 20. To pay that mana degen you will need roughly a 400% mana regen increase.

Then theres clarity gem. I dont see it as a big problem though, given the high mana reserve. The melee guy who has his 500ish mana pool can run a 300 mana reserve clarity gem and cope with the mana degen thing, at expense of other auras.

The ranged caster already have a high regen via leech, mana regen and or a mix of both. No biggie here :)

Any thoughts?

Hmm yea, I guess that could work. I don't really like it though. It would basically mean that you can sustain it, or not use it at all. At the moment, there is some kind of middleground where you have a large enough manapool to run it a couple of seconds at least - and with pots for whole fights. I've used it that way for quite a while and it was neat ( until cruel vaal ... ).
Last edited by dyneol on Aug 6, 2013, 11:16:46 AM
"
dyneol wrote:
"
fsk1989 wrote:

Any thoughts?

Hmm yea, I guess that could work. I don't really like it though. It would basically mean that you can sustain it, or not use it at all. At the moment, there is some kind of middleground where you have a large enough manapool to run it a couple of seconds at least - and with pots for whole fights. I've used it that way for quite a while and it was neat ( until cruel vaal ... ).

Oh right sorry, i meant the mana degen to work similary to how it works now. While still the mana degen is minimal, barely noticable. Say 0.5% mana degen by lvl 1 and 1.5% at lvl 20. The higher values are the degen on the move.
Well Im posting this in hopes that AA doesnt get changed as it currently sits because heres my situation and how I use AA.

All the time. I have a level 16 AA gem on my 79 Elemental witch and on my 80 Summoner.. they both have 169-175 mana regen per second right now and can run the gem along with Grace, Clarity, Discipline, and Tempest Shield. While standing still I can cast my spells with no problem and when running around I only have minor mana degen that can usually be countered by popping a mana pot between groups of mobs.

Benefits of running AA full time..

Tentacled Miscreations dont kill me and stun/interupt me a heck of a lot less than without AA.
Ignore Dogs on docks... seriously... my shield will regen even while sitting in a pack of them.
Ice trail slows enemies when I kite them to bunch them up.
Can tank elemental reflect (since Im fire/chaos only).

I've worked hard to be able to regen enough mana to run AA at 16 so I really hope yall dont get it nerfed cause I will be pissed. My witch isnt an uber tank but at least I can do Lunaris runs without dieing EVERY time.

Things that helped me run it full time... getting nearly every mana regen node in Templar/Witch area, 400+ Int, 2 rings with 50+ mana regen (one of them is Dream Fragments on my Elemental Witch), and either a necklace or shield with 40-50+ mana regen. Having so much mana and mana regen also allowed me to run my auras, cast 100+ mana Skeletons/Fireballs.

This skill is perfectly suited for helping heavy mana users (especially ES users.. but not specifically) survive.

Thank you Mark!!

Putting my elemental witch gear here so yall can see what I mean.. Im not rich so its taken me months to accumulate this much for this toon. (Alt-a-holic)
Spoiler
IGN: DeathIsMyBestFriend, Illirianah
Last edited by Bishop120 on Aug 11, 2013, 9:26:53 PM
Kind of bad argument don;t you think? You name two ranged classes, while the discussion is about the difference how the skill is perceived between melee and ranged and what alternative methods can be taken to not change it much form now, but decrease this unfair silly design gap?

This is roughly in the line of lightning thorns when it only struck melee. So many posters that said it was fine and you had to adept. Back than lightning thorns did a lot more damage. One day GGG decided well, we let lightning thorns also hit ranged players. Left and right ranged characters died and suddenly not a single person was left that thought the damage is ok, even today with the damage reduced there are people advocating to have it changed or even removed.

Anyways it is nice to see how you argument only does 1 thing and confirm the discussion, that ranged has it to easy going, with this skill, with anything in this game really. That or melee has it too hard.

I also run a dual claw shadow and a leap slam marauder and both have it just fine. My only problem with melee is that stun and freeze mechanics in this game are "cheap mechanics". Ergo walking into a room with 5-15 skeletons spamming LMP freeze shots, or entire packs of sea witches casting cold snap the moment they pop up from the ground, packs of tentacled miscreations casting LMP.

IMO AA was a good answer to the problem FOR my witches. Now we need to ask GGG to gives us a good answer for melee and bow users. Rather than complain about AA and possibly get it nerfed lets go ask for other good skills to be made! How about a skill that gives you flat physical damage reduction for melee to use! How about giving evasion users the ability to dodge spells!
"
Bishop120 wrote:
How about giving evasion users the ability to dodge spells!

(emphasis mine) Phase Acrobatics literally does this.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Bishop120 wrote:
How about giving evasion users the ability to dodge spells!

(emphasis mine) Phase Acrobatics literally does this.

20% is pathetic for dodging spells.. Never noticed a difference with it and the paltry 10 regular dodge in front it of. For 6 passive points you would expect something significantly more substantive. How about if it was "Your Evasion applies to spells". Maybe that would make it so that flame dogs or monsters with "additional projectiles" didnt instant kill an evasion character.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info