[3.8] CI Mjolner CoC Ball Lightning Assassin - up to 6M Shaper DPS, 11k ES, 5k+ ES Recovery/s

"
NomadFX wrote:
guys i droped a mirror. insane lucky league. 2 faith, a cospris, saviour, mirror.

Gz! I've also had some really lucky drops this league.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/988f3369-4b68-4eb9-bc0e-edfce4c3c950
"
Moridin79 wrote:
"
blingi wrote:
"
Moridin79 wrote:
Picked this up last night. It's so much fun!

That's something I've been thinking about too.
I'm tanky, my single target is great, but the clear is only decent even on arc. How much is this doing for us?

Clear is much better then even with GMP imo. Whole packs just pop, and it removes corpses which helps in Delve and for Beyond bosses, corpse explosions etc. Plus, the pops can crit. Not earth shattering by any means, just more of a fun factor.

Btw, the pre-range nerf arc was absolutely ridiculous. XD

How do the explosions scale for us since they are physical? Do they oneshot packs?
Would herald of ice or ash also work?
For the most part yes, packs just blow up. We don't really scale the explosion, but you can with another build/class. HoI and HoA both work for it yes.
Hi folks. I'm starting and looking for some pieces for this build. If anyone have some extra gear that don't use for sell just send me a PM with the price. I'm looking for the Vaal Regalia 6L, Elder ring, Shield and jewels. I can't really find anything decent on poe.trade. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Got all the gear. :D
Last edited by FedeS on Jan 17, 2020, 1:05:07 PM
Got some extra gear on poe.trade, not all has a pricetag.

Spoiler
Last edited by NomadFX on Jan 17, 2020, 8:48:51 AM
Not really sure where to take the build now, I'm enjoying Arc more than BL currently due to the better map clear (less stragglers too), single target is a bit worse though (conquerers take 4-5 sec instead of 2-3).

Maybe I should just switch to CoC cospris at this point, I'd like to try out an explodey chest but all the ones listed for less than a mirror are kind of subpar.

Something I noticed that I haven't seen anyone mention yet:
Shock values from arc will be even higher due to double damage, since PoB only shows the average hits.
So instead of using 470k hits as the baseline for shocks, it would be more over 800k for me on double damage hits, which would apply almost twice the shock value.
Last edited by blingi on Jan 17, 2020, 10:34:43 AM
Why does pob say my aps is much higher then tool tip in game? Which one is correct?
Lucky league continues...

"
blingi wrote:
Not really sure where to take the build now, I'm enjoying Arc more than BL currently due to the better map clear (less stragglers too), single target is a bit worse though (conquerers take 4-5 sec instead of 2-3).

Maybe I should just switch to CoC cospris at this point, I'd like to try out an explodey chest but all the ones listed for less than a mirror are kind of subpar.

Something I noticed that I haven't seen anyone mention yet:
Shock values from arc will be even higher due to double damage, since PoB only shows the average hits.
So instead of using 470k hits as the baseline for shocks, it would be more over 800k for me on double damage hits, which would apply almost twice the shock value.

A few notes here

1) CoC Cospirs will have better clear than ball lightning, but unlikely to have better clear than Arc. There is a simply an issue that arc has no travel time and can move around corners (unless you are doing Cospris Arc, but I feel Mjornin is simply a better option if you are using a lightning skill).

2) At high damage levels that you and low lifers, ARC might be a better main hand gem for dps for the reasons you stated, though you will lose some ES gain. To figure this out lets assume we have 13 hits per ball lightning. Using your gear (at least from a few dcays ago) with level 5 awakenedc gems you have an average hit on arc of 411,704 on Shaper, an average crit of 483,689. While your ceiling on crits is indeed twice your average, its unlikely to happen consistently with the huge damage ranges seen in lightning spells. With shocks only lasting two second and 6 procs per seconds we can probably assume a crit closer to 80% above average instead of 100%.

That puts your 'shocking' crit at 870,640. After that we have to consider your EFFECTIVE shock value, cause a level 21 shock will have 31% increased effect of shock. According to the wiki this behaves as a more multiplier regarding damage thresholds required, so your top end here will be treated as 1,140,538 damage for the purpose of applying our shock.

Big big number!

How does that work with shaper though? Presuming his new ailment threshold = his old health, then 1,140,538 is 1.541275% of 74,000,000.Plugging that into the calculation in the 3.9 patch notes of "1/2*[Damage % of Ailment Threshold (see below) ]^0.4" and we have a value of 0.5944.

I'll be honest that I do not understand this value. That said if we go back and look at the percentage damage (1.54) and look at the examples GGG listed, we can assume the shock value is north of 5% but south of 10%

"The minimum Shock and Chill value is now 5% (from 1%). To reach the minimum, you must deal 0.4% of a monster's Ailment Threshold with the associated element in a single hit. To inflict a 10% Chill you must deal 1.8% of a monster's Ailment Threshold with the associated element in a single hit. A 30% Chill requires a hit of 28% of the monster's Ailment Threshold."

(Note: It's at this point I realized I had a shock of 5% on your config settings. It doesnt change the math of your shock much however, so I'm not changing anything)

Awesome. Lets assume thats a 7% value. What does that do for your chest BL?
Your average hit is 150,293 and becomes 158,086 with the shock. Presuming every rotation of cyclone crits, you are casting 6 ball lightnings and 6 arcs per second, with the ball lightnings hitting 13 times in their flight time (best case).
That will mean you can expect 12,300,708 damage per second from ball lighting and 2,505,510 from your arc (adjusting the average hit by the shock since it will benefit from it as well, but not enough to climb the shock ladder realistically).

So lets assume you use BL with slower proj and awakened ele focus in your main hand and no shock. What would the difference be?

Main Hand Damage: 92,102 ball hit, 6 balls a second, 13 hits over their flight time: 7,183,956 damage from main hand BL.

Chest would be lower back to a 150,293 hit, 6 balls a second, 13 hits over their flight, for 11,722,854 million.

This math is not perfect, but the conclusion here is unless they DRASTICALLY lowered shapers ailment threshold, then the benefit you gain from shock is not worth the cast of using Arc as a single target tool. Ball Lightning simply racks up way too much damage because of how it works.

On the flip side, arc is fantastic for clear, so no reason you cant gem swap. I already gem swap GMP for slower proj when I clear and it makes it far more enjoyable, but arc would probably be better.

"
faytte wrote:

A few notes here

1) CoC Cospirs will have better clear than ball lightning, but unlikely to have better clear than Arc. There is a simply an issue that arc has no travel time and can move around corners (unless you are doing Cospris Arc, but I feel Mjornin is simply a better option if you are using a lightning skill).

2) At high damage levels that you and low lifers, ARC might be a better main hand gem for dps for the reasons you stated, though you will lose some ES gain. To figure this out lets assume we have 13 hits per ball lightning. Using your gear (at least from a few dcays ago) with level 5 awakenedc gems you have an average hit on arc of 411,704 on Shaper, an average crit of 483,689. While your ceiling on crits is indeed twice your average, its unlikely to happen consistently with the huge damage ranges seen in lightning spells. With shocks only lasting two second and 6 procs per seconds we can probably assume a crit closer to 80% above average instead of 100%.

That puts your 'shocking' crit at 870,640. After that we have to consider your EFFECTIVE shock value, cause a level 21 shock will have 31% increased effect of shock. According to the wiki this behaves as a more multiplier regarding damage thresholds required, so your top end here will be treated as 1,140,538 damage for the purpose of applying our shock.

Big big number!

How does that work with shaper though? Presuming his new ailment threshold = his old health, then 1,140,538 is 1.541275% of 74,000,000.Plugging that into the calculation in the 3.9 patch notes of "1/2*[Damage % of Ailment Threshold (see below) ]^0.4" and we have a value of 0.5944.

I'll be honest that I do not understand this value. That said if we go back and look at the percentage damage (1.54) and look at the examples GGG listed, we can assume the shock value is north of 5% but south of 10%

"The minimum Shock and Chill value is now 5% (from 1%). To reach the minimum, you must deal 0.4% of a monster's Ailment Threshold with the associated element in a single hit. To inflict a 10% Chill you must deal 1.8% of a monster's Ailment Threshold with the associated element in a single hit. A 30% Chill requires a hit of 28% of the monster's Ailment Threshold."

(Note: It's at this point I realized I had a shock of 5% on your config settings. It doesnt change the math of your shock much however, so I'm not changing anything)

Awesome. Lets assume thats a 7% value. What does that do for your chest BL?
Your average hit is 150,293 and becomes 158,086 with the shock. Presuming every rotation of cyclone crits, you are casting 6 ball lightnings and 6 arcs per second, with the ball lightnings hitting 13 times in their flight time (best case).
That will mean you can expect 12,300,708 damage per second from ball lighting and 2,505,510 from your arc (adjusting the average hit by the shock since it will benefit from it as well, but not enough to climb the shock ladder realistically).

So lets assume you use BL with slower proj and awakened ele focus in your main hand and no shock. What would the difference be?

Main Hand Damage: 92,102 ball hit, 6 balls a second, 13 hits over their flight time: 7,183,956 damage from main hand BL.

Chest would be lower back to a 150,293 hit, 6 balls a second, 13 hits over their flight, for 11,722,854 million.

This math is not perfect, but the conclusion here is unless they DRASTICALLY lowered shapers ailment threshold, then the benefit you gain from shock is not worth the cast of using Arc as a single target tool. Ball Lightning simply racks up way too much damage because of how it works.

On the flip side, arc is fantastic for clear, so no reason you cant gem swap. I already gem swap GMP for slower proj when I clear and it makes it far more enjoyable, but arc would probably be better.

The nice thing about ice nova cospri is that you can run herald of ice for explosions and your skills also hit enemies at the corner of the screen, exploding them where arc's range is limited.

Regarding your shock calculations:
I also get another 10% shock effect from tree and my damage is around 15% higher than it was a few days ago due to gems leveling and getting awakened curse on hit, so the value is even a bit higher, putting my BL damage at 175k.

If my current shock damage boost is around 8-10% it would also be highly worth to go for the static blows cluster which gives me comparable damage to other 3 node clusters as well as 40% more shock effect. How much damage would that add with your calculations?

I'm also not sure about those BL hits per second values, if it was correct BL should vastly outdamage arc for single target, yet the difference feels pretty small having done 4 sets of conquerors and Sirus on Arc/Arc and Arc/BL respectively.
The body armour arc definitely increases my time to kill, but it's not nearly as much as it should be considering BL should do around two times the dps arc does.

Last edited by blingi on Jan 17, 2020, 4:13:33 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info