[3.20] Ice Dancing Queen - Icestorm/Cyclone/CI - Viable For Everything

"
HHLupus wrote:
With higher end-game damages, you still could die on reflect, so actually full reflect immunity is even better than only 85% reflect reduction.
Plus the 12% allres is very comfortable as well.

Nerf with %all attributes 2% each for ammy and chest, increase of 20% to %intelligence and flat intelligence it seems.
Big nerf for %ES crafting on chest however.

Plus 2-3 new gems: woke channeling, woke spell cascade and maybe woke added cold.

No mention of Awoken Cold Penetration? That jumped out at me first.

But I suspect all the Penetration gems will see fairly high prices. The normal versions are already a big DPS buff, and these can only be better.
Last edited by Parabola01 on Dec 11, 2019, 9:02:14 AM
With the nerf to icicle mine, what would you recommend for leveling now?
"
hsiegfried44 wrote:
With the nerf to icicle mine, what would you recommend for leveling now?

Still viable IMO. Especially trade league - you are really only using it until level 31. Sucks a bit for SSF but I will still level with icicle mines, plus siphoning trap for added DPS and mana/life leech, and frost bomb for its cold exposure (increases cold damage). I practiced with this combo and I was trashing mobs and bosses quite quickly (albeit HP increases for next patch...). For HCSSF, I do a modified leveling tree to rush to the cold wheel at the top and take all nodes in that including the cold DoT (improves siphoning trap - which benefits from both spell damage % modifiers and cold DoT modifiers).

"
HHLupus wrote:
With higher end-game damages, you still could die on reflect, so actually full reflect immunity is even better than only 85% reflect reduction.
Plus the 12% allres is very comfortable as well.

Nerf with %all attributes 2% each for ammy and chest, increase of 20% to %intelligence and flat intelligence it seems.
Big nerf for %ES crafting on chest however.

Plus 2-3 new gems: woke channeling, woke spell cascade and maybe woke added cold.

The ability to now have 100% reflect immunity is great :D Makes the atziri fight less concerning now. I suspect we'll see more punishment for trying to run reflect maps in the future.

I don't think the nerf to shaper ammy attributes is that notable because with the new quality items for amulets, rings and belts we will essentially gain that back - best part is we can now achieve it with lower ilvl shaper amulets. Added to that if you are a madman you can quality it before corrupting and hope for the %attributes implicit, thus being a greater attributes boost than previously possible. (20% improvement of 9% attribute = 10.8%, plus an extra 1.2% from corruption (20% of 6%) puts it back to the 12% + 6% corrupt, but also add 20% increased flat intelligence rolls on the ammy if you have it). Noting that I guess you still need ilvl80 for dmg% per int... but at least an early shaper ammy (ilvl 68 vs 75) can achieve the same attribute increase stats.

The ES craft nerf is not as bad as it sounds as it only impacts hybrid crafted rolls - natural rolls are still as powerful. Crafting is a bit more exciting: you will alt spam for shaper mods of % attribute and %dmg per int, then regal - hope for a good prefix (flat ES, ES%, or hybrid ES). If you get something poor, you can annul and hope for the best (or scour and repeat alt regal). Craft multimod, add final suffix of %attribute, then exalt and hope the prefix you get is either ES or ES% (preferably), or hybrid ES (not as good as getting a high rolled flat ES or ES%), then you can craft either the flat ES or ES%. Don't craft the final prefix until last as crafting prefix first would dilute the pool of mods you want to get when you exalt.
Last edited by JSquare on Dec 11, 2019, 12:06:51 PM
"
JSquare wrote:

I don't think the nerf to shaper ammy attributes is that notable because with the new quality items for amulets, rings and belts we will essentially gain that back - best part is we can now achieve it with lower ilvl shaper amulets. Added to that if you are a madman you can quality it before corrupting and hope for the %attributes implicit, thus being a greater attributes boost than previously possible. (20% improvement of 9% attribute = 10.8%, plus an extra 1.2% from corruption (20% of 6%) puts it back to the 12% + 6% corrupt, but also add 20% increased flat intelligence rolls on the ammy if you have it). Noting that I guess you still need ilvl80 for dmg% per int... but at least an early shaper ammy (ilvl 68 vs 75) can achieve the same attribute increase stats.

If you are going to corrupt, wouldn't it be a better idea to do a Rank 3 Jorgen instead? It'll come up less often than a Vaal orb but you have better odds at a stronger effect.
Regarding levelling with icicle mines, I tried that for a while, then went back to spellcasting. It was just too annoying to lay the mines, and then detonate them separately.

It's quite possible I'm an idiot, and missed something obvious that cuts the keypresses in half.

I've played a trapper, and that felt way better than the mining.
"
Parabola01 wrote:

If you are going to corrupt, wouldn't it be a better idea to do a Rank 3 Jorgen instead? It'll come up less often than a Vaal orb but you have better odds at a stronger effect.

Totally an option if it is available to you - sometimes getting the syndicate arranged well enough can be a pain and people will avoid it.

Edit: forgot influenced items can't be made into talismans.

"
Graiaule wrote:
Regarding levelling with icicle mines, I tried that for a while, then went back to spellcasting. It was just too annoying to lay the mines, and then detonate them separately.

It's quite possible I'm an idiot, and missed something obvious that cuts the keypresses in half.

Not an idiot at all - regardless of method you'll have to press a button - though I usually just smash the detonate button while I hold right click to spam mines. Alternatively you cast spell support totem linked to detonate mine, but the detonate mine gem can't be purchased until A6 (maybe from Siosa earlier?).
Last edited by JSquare on Dec 12, 2019, 12:15:39 AM
Hi Kel

Do you play this league this build ? Was really great after problems with the beginning for me and again a big thank for helping with blight t15 maps.
Or will you try something totally new.

Still the best guide for me in game.

Never had 39 challenges in my poe life. And play since beta :-)
Last edited by ichbinwerichbi on Dec 11, 2019, 4:38:13 PM
Hi All, I'm back to check out the new league :)

What I see so far (correct me if I'm wrong or missing something):

- No changes to anything related to Icestorm or The Whispering Ice.

- No changes to the parts of the tree that we use.

- New 'uber' (Awakened) versions of several support gems we are using. I haven't seen the stats yet, but they sound like the 'uber' gems mentioned in the 4.0 announcements that would be introduced at some point. They should be more powerful than the corrupted lv 21 gems. This is a buff, probably a significant one.

- Anointments are still available. Blight is now a regular 10% chance encounter, and it will always drop an oil or a map. And there will be more high tier maps, so hopefully more Golden Oils.

- Shaper bases are still avaialble, although the Atlas mechanics are completely different, so it's hard to say if this makes obtaining the Shaper Regalia base harder or easier. We only need ilvl 83 anyway. Although Uber Elder is still avaialble too, so ilvl 86 for a T1 ES chance should still be possible too.

- Shaper mod can be transferred to another item? The mechanic is still unclear, but it looks like you can roll the top %Int mod on a junk chest (or buy one) and then transfer it to your crafted Regalia?

- The multi-mod is limited to 3 crafted mods (i.e. it + 2 more). That means no more annulling a bad regaled mod. Have to regal a good mod, possibly use the more expensive Imprint crafting.

- Hybrid mods are nerfed. They weren't huge to start with, but this should result in slightly lower ES on the crafted Regalia. But potentially much higher Int with the new Catalyst thing (20% quality for attribute mods!).

- New Catalyst quality crafting. How does it interact with the regular quality? Can you have both? That would be fantastic for Int/ES rares we are using. If you have to choose one or the other then it will be a choice between higher ES or higher Int, and I'll probably go with the latter.

- No more 10-12% Inc Attr mod on Shaper Amu. But there is a new Catalyst crafting option that compensates for that. And it works on Astramentis too. This is definitely a buff for us, as most Icestorm players I've seen were using Astramentis. I'm sure the 'more Gucci' of us can still get decent Shaper Amulets anyway.

- Sibyl's Lament is now 80% reduced reflected ele dmg, and there are 40% mods for rare rings. So in theory, you won't even need to lose a lot of Int by switching to Sibyl's if you craft a couple of decent Int rings with that mod. And in any case, dealing with ele reflect maps or Atziri will be a lot easier.

Overall, the build should be stronger than before. Especially with the buff to the red tier maps and endgame bosses. More overall life and resists is good for tanky steady damage builds with high resist penetration.
"
Hi Kel

Do you play this league this build ? Was really great after problems with the beginning for me and again a big thank for helping with blight t15 maps.
Or will you try something totally new.

Still the best guide for me in game.

Never had 39 challenges in my poe life. And play since beta :-)

Going to play Icestorm again. This time of the year is always super busy for me, I play December leagues very casually. Atlas changes, new bosses and a new league mechanic is more than enough of 'new' stuff, no need to change a build too. And I have no interest in bow builds anyway. GGG is forcing a bow meta in this league, so hopefully it will only make our items cheaper.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Dec 11, 2019, 6:22:36 PM
Glad to hear you will be around Kelvynn. I'm debating playing this new league but will probably do so casually as well.

I'm excited by these new changes and that is a good point about the bow meta possibly making our gear cheaper. Prices last league were a bit nuts.

If there is some crazy new Gucci Gear to be had, I'm sure lilian will be leading the pack as usual. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info