Would you install a neural lace into your brain?

Elon Musk's company Neuralink just showed some promising new tech regarding a brain-computer interface. The pic below is the thing installed into a mouse, it's supposed to be wireless later on.

Spoiler

The goal of the first iteration is to allow complete quadriplegics to use their smartphones and computers. They would connect wirelessly to the device and simply use it with their minds. Mid-term goals are helping with or curing diseases like Parkinson's, epilepsy, OCD or even depression. The very long term goal is to allow humans to merge with AI (Elon says if we can't merge we're ultimately fucked).

Some nerds would probably want this for a full-dive experience like SAO (just without a waifu who cooks for you). I'm very open to new technology but fucking with the brain like that is a pretty big deal imo. Not sure if want.

GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Last bumped on Jul 22, 2019, 11:04:07 PM
I ain't putting anything in my brain wtf that sounds sketchy af
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Definitely no. That'd end up fucking your brain up so badly. That guy sounds like an idiot, there's no way that could ever safely be done. He should focus on actually improving brains, instead of trying to make them mechanical.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
I guess it can be thrown on the pile of "perfect police state gadgets" which we are slowly assembling.

Not my sort of thing, but im sure there will be fans of it.

Can't wait to see how people interact with a direct link to information, because clearly we can see people are perfectly capable of handling the current flow of it.

Can you imagine having nothing to do, not even training your brain or using it experimentally.
What does a human like that look like and do we even call it human at that point?

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
The genius behind such amazing technology as the very narrow car tunnel wants to put things in your brain. I'll pass.
"
The genius behind such amazing technology as the very narrow car tunnel wants to put things in your brain. I'll pass.

If I understand correctly, the car tunnel stuff is only a front for making boring tunnels more efficient. It's like Tesla cars being a front for making energy more sustainable or SpaceX being a front for making humanity a multiplanetary species. Speaking of SpaceX, the genius behind that gave us this.

GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
And what do you do when some goober hacks your brain, or the network it's on, and either uploads his own flavor of p0rn into it, or demands a ransom? No thanks! ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
I'd say yes if I was quadriplegic. As a person with full usage of his limbs, I'd refuse.
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
I'd wait till 80-90% of the population gets it installed so all the kinks can get worked out.

If its anything like Ghost in the Shell or Cyberpunk 2077.

It'd be pretty cool once it gets going.

Though personally, I'd rather have a non-invasive device, that you can put on your skin that could read your neural impulses.

Might be way farther in the future, but it'd save the surgery/pain to get all this weird stuff installed.

Also, less likely for advanced devices to 'hack' people's minds or something.

(⌐■_■)
"
faerwin wrote:
I'd say yes if I was quadriplegic. As a person with full usage of his limbs, I'd refuse.

This. OP mentioned primary use-case of the invention is to give better prosthetic control. Pretty sure if you had lost control of your arms and legs at some point in your life, you're very likely to find it worth the hassle and risks to become a cyborg/android so that you can move those things around again.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Jul 18, 2019, 2:12:00 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info