Code of Conduct Changes - Do better at least for optics

"
vio wrote:
the only effect will be more people moving to reddit, the positive effect for ggg is less moderation needed here.

well. about time to take some time off from these forums.

It also applies to global channels in-game, so there's not going to be much positive effect for GGG from this any time soon. The forums are actually incredibly tame compared to a lot of what goes on in global.

On the forums it's like opening a can of worms that probably didn't really need to be opened. For global it's more like opening a crate of venomous snakes that explicitly says "WARNING: DO NOT OPEN!"
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
It's just a fact that we now live in a world where certain topics just won't end well
That is clearly an opinion, not a fact. Myself, I'm satisfied just fine when I've made my case against a debate opponent who obstinately refuses to be persuaded. Maybe that's because I don't write to the one I'm arguing so much as to the greater audience.

You seem to think a virtual fight that ends in IRL butthurt didn't end well. I think that's a rather peculiar thought for a Path to Exile player to have. Especially if they play HC. Should we get rid of death penalties because feelings?
"
Turtledove wrote:
With the wise decision by GGG now we have no choice
Ah yes, the wisdom of authoritarianism. Oh what a burden is freedom! How enlightened it is to censor others! Because everyone knows how history has proven such a tactic to always, ahem, end well.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jun 5, 2019, 1:25:45 AM
"
aggromagnet wrote:
"
vio wrote:
the only effect will be more people moving to reddit, the positive effect for ggg is less moderation needed here.

well. about time to take some time off from these forums.

It also applies to global channels in-game, so there's not going to be much positive effect for GGG from this any time soon. The forums are actually incredibly tame compared to a lot of what goes on in global.

On the forums it's like opening a can of worms that probably didn't really need to be opened. For global it's more like opening a crate of venomous snakes that explicitly says "WARNING: DO NOT OPEN!"

fun fact: with their account tagging for bad behaviour, ggg invented the social score before china did :-)

and while it makes sense to do this in secret, it's another thing to announce it publicly to profit from the chilling effects. it's wrong, cause it makes it look like it doesn't work internally just like chinas scoring system which isn't fully functional according to some knowledgeable guys.

so while i can partly understand ggg, it's the effect of even more players leaving the forums that disturbs me. and i liked to waste time reading offtopic opinions. you learn so much about other world views from that.

maybe i do some programming in my new, free time.
so long and thanks for all the fish

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
I am bothered by wording, is it real-life politics and religion that is disallowed, and we are free to discuss politics and religion of imaginary/literary works?

Or even fantasy/non-real-life politics and religion is disallowed?

Like, we can't discuss warhammer 40k politics and religion?

Because by extension, then we wouldn't be allowed to discuss politics and religion of world of path of exile by extension, which is abundant and based on real life models?
Spreading salt since 2006
All topics are inflammatory to somebody, and removal without warning or public display only ensures that nobody knows what is or isn't allowed. There haven't been any topics here that I consider inherently inflammatory, so should I continue posting as before?

Discussing current events in the US, NZ, or otherwise isn't politics or religion. For example, the Christchurch shooter thread was majority apolitical, and it was a good use of the forums for people to mourn there afterward. Should the good be tossed out with the bad in pursuit of... what exactly?

What was the impetus for this change?
(Is asking for a rationale considered an inflammatory topic?)
Its inflamatory if feelings are hurt.
"
ZoeQuinn wrote:
Its inflamatory if feelings are hurt.

There's a certain individual who posts daily random gibberish/troll-bait. And I mean daily, and it's so obvious what he/she/it is doing (though some of them are so nonsensical they're at least funny).

Today I commented on one of their routine shitposts, and it got deleted.

"Another day, another puddle of brain vomit from this guy."

That's all I said, word for word, and it was deleted for making personal attacks against the poster.

When I questioned support about it and asked for clarification on how it was attacking the poster rather than attacking the quality of the contents, they didn't give me any reasoning. Just a canned scripted response that I was making personal attacks.

Now, if they had told me that the nature of my comment was inflammatory, I would have accepted that. But nowhere did I get personal about it, and nowhere was I attacking anyone. I'm certainly not seeing it anyway.

Different people, mods included, have very different interpretations of rules and how to enforce them. What's simply inflammatory? What's a directed personal attack? Under GGG's current guidance, I don't really have a clue.
"
pneuma wrote:
All topics are inflammatory to somebody, and removal without warning or public display only ensures that nobody knows what is or isn't allowed. There haven't been any topics here that I consider inherently inflammatory, so should I continue posting as before?

Discussing current events in the US, NZ, or otherwise isn't politics or religion. For example, the Christchurch shooter thread was majority apolitical, and it was a good use of the forums for people to mourn there afterward. Should the good be tossed out with the bad in pursuit of... what exactly?

What was the impetus for this change?
(Is asking for a rationale considered an inflammatory topic?)

The change was discussed at length during a team meeting, by our entire Support team. The decision was made last night.

We have absolutely no intention of curbing constructive and friendly discussions just for the sake of it - but also, we don't think Path of Exile (the forums or the game chat) is the most appropriate place to be having these passionate and in-depth debates that tend to arise from certain inflammatory subjects. These discussions also have a tendency to make other players unwilling to participate or engage with the forums or in-game chat at all, and this is the opposite of what we want.

There's a large number of more appropriate places online to hold these discussions. Regardless of the stance that is being taken on a touchy subject, someone is always going to disagree. We can't fix that (we wouldn't even want to), but we can ask that you take those moral, religious, and political dilemmas to another platform.

Another key factor we discussed at length regarding this change is the effect these kinds of topics have on our staff. Forum and game moderation is no easy task and while many players do abide by our Code of Conduct, there are also many players that do not. There are a significant number of really horrible chat and forum postings our team deals with on a daily basis. We hope to significantly reduce the strain on our staff for the benefit of their mental well-being.

Contact us at support@grindinggear.com!
"
鬼殺し wrote:

You forgot the puppies!
Would recommending a non-fiction book about an investigation of political corruption and crime in the literary thread be allowed?

I literally worded that poorly.

Any signature worth using is against the rules. Therefore, no signature will be found here.
Last edited by The_Impeacher on Jun 5, 2019, 3:10:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info