Code of Conduct Changes - Do better at least for optics

Offensive, sure. It's pretty mild, but I would absolutely accept that. Still not seeing how it's a personal attack though. No name calling, no derogatory comments directed at the poster themselves, nothing like that.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
aggromagnet wrote:
Offensive, sure. It's pretty mild, but I would absolutely accept that. Still not seeing how it's a personal attack though. No name calling, no derogatory comments directed at the poster themselves, nothing like that.

The moment you attached "this guy" your post was an infringement of the CoC.

Think of it like a head-shot were charans post is carpet bombing.

And the moderators are the medics that only answer when an identified person is injured not a whole slew of john doe's that aren't covered.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I support the prohibition of politics and religion topics in this forum. There are other ways to flex your knowledge, wit, and verbal gymnastics. We can debate about science because it is easier to end the debate and convincing the opposing view that we are correct and they are wrong by presenting scientific evidence and arguments that cannot be denied for example round earth vs flat earth obviously the round earth win and the debate stops. Unlike politics and religion topics no matter how convincing the arguments and presentation of the other side at the end of the day both sides love their own opinions and beliefs because politics&religion topics are all about opinions and beliefs.
"
Boem wrote:
"
aggromagnet wrote:

The moment you attached "this guy" your post was an infringement of the CoC.

Think of it like a head-shot were charans post is carpet bombing.

And the moderators are the medics that only answer when an identified person is injured not a whole slew of john doe's that aren't covered.

Peace,

-Boem-

So then, since you quoted me and included "you" in your comments, which is clearly being directed at me, you're in violation as well. You're not critiquing what I said, you're critiquing me for saying it. That must be the case because you singled me out, personally, instead of making a generalization. I think you're attacking me and hurting my reputation!

But I know, and any semi-rational mod should also, that's not what you're really doing. You're referencing me and what I said, but you are not attacking me or even critiquing me personally in any way.

You are simply being more polite than I was... ;)
Last edited by aggromagnet on Jun 7, 2019, 12:49:29 AM
It is intentional made broad designate as catch-ALL defense. Giving lot of leeway and freedom to what moderators can moderate. In other word, you are at the mercy of moderator judgement. Some people are still trying to play mental gymnastics.
Just gonna check out what happens...

Tiananmen square massacre.

Not trying to be edgy or incite conflict or anything, just curious to see if this gets taken down instantly , doesn't let me post or whatever (Or not). It's just too bloody strange they change this rule on freaking June fourth.
Last edited by Karkas on Jun 7, 2019, 6:39:50 AM
"
Karkas wrote:
Just gonna check out what happens...

Tiananmen square massacre.

Not trying to be edgy or incite conflict or anything, just curious to see if this gets taken down instantly , doesn't let me post or whatever (Or not). It's just too bloody strange they change this rule on freaking June fourth.

Improved it for you. You're welcome.
"
The term "inflammatory" is intentionally broad, politics and religion are the two most common examples of a theme we consider to be inherently inflammatory, but are not the only ones. These two themes in particular are ones that incite a lot of passion, particularly when someone is discussing something someone may disagree with - rightly so, these things are important to us as people. They are also, from our experience, the most common threads to cause Code of Conduct violations, and generate the highest number of complaints from chat.

By the same token, we would not remove every single possibly inflammatory post - there is a huge amount of difference between a well-intentioned post looking for opinions, and a post that's been made for the purpose of creating disharmony or pushing boundaries. The latter would be removed. You have our very human team on the other side of this, discussing and deciding what is most appropriate for our forums, and I trust them to make an informed decision.

If discussion about the change in the Code of Conduct is unable to remain civil in here I'm afraid we will have to close this down, please do bear that in mind.

I feel like I shouldn't have to tell you that a stance of "we're not going to tell you what the rules are, but we are going to punish you for breaking them" isn't great for morale on a board that's already running on dangerous ground with morale.

Let's face it - this new rule amounts to giving yourselves permission to delete anything you feel like for any reason you feel like at the time - or for no reason at all. People are gonna feel some kinda way about that, especially when the only assurances they get otherwise amount to 'well obviously we won't take down anything that doesn't break the rules we're refusing to give you.'

Sure. And if that was good enough you wouldn't have all these complaints and people wondering why this board is even still here if the mod team is now committed to shutting down whatever they don't like wholesale.
"
1453R wrote:
I feel like I shouldn't have to tell you that a stance of "we're not going to tell you what the rules are, but we are going to punish you for breaking them" isn't great for morale on a board that's already running on dangerous ground with morale.

Let's face it - this new rule amounts to giving yourselves permission to delete anything you feel like for any reason you feel like at the time - or for no reason at all.
I've long argued that GGG owns this space and that, as owners, they have the right to moderate content for any reason, or for no reason at all.

But that doesn't mean that the people who use the forums would suddenly become morons. The censorious might not give their reasons, but after a few suspensions people will start looking for patterns and try to figure out the underlying policy. You'd think the company that releases balance puzzle after balance puzzle, only to see players find the OP over and over again, would know better than to think that not telling us what their rules are will stop us from figuring out what their rules are.

What this is really about is that GGG is too ashamed of what it is they want to do to just say it directly, but they want to do it nevertheless. Maybe that isn't ashamed enough. But if not, then the less cowardly thing would be to own the decision and tell us what's really going on.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jun 7, 2019, 10:22:13 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
1453R wrote:

Let's face it - this new rule amounts to giving yourselves permission to delete anything you feel like for any reason you feel like at the time - or for no reason at all.
I've long argued that GGG owns this space and that, as owners, they have the right to moderate content for any reason, or for no reason at all.

But that doesn't mean that the people who use the forums would suddenly become morons. The censorious might not give their reasons, but after a few suspensions people will start looking for patterns and try to figure out the underlying policy. You'd think the company that releases balance puzzle after balance puzzle, only to see players find the OP over and over again, would know better than to think that not telling us what their rules are will stop us from figuring out what their rules are.

What this is really about is that GGG is too ashamed of what it is they want to do to just say it directly, but they want to do it nevertheless. Maybe that isn't ashamed enough.

That being said many game forums (and others) dont have an off-topic simply becuase it can be difficult to moderate, and the use of resources, while they are not exactly wasted, could probably be optimized elsewhere.

I've been on the fence about this since the announcement, but as others have suggested, and I'm sure GGG has talked about, off-topic should probably just be eliminated. It's clear that GGG support doesn't have the correct personnel, or will, to do this properly. It can 100% be done, and off-topic has existed in relatively benign fashion, until 2016 (what a shock).

I have no idea why GGG is unwilling or unable to be more specific as to why or what the CoC changes manifested from, but now I'm not sure if that even matters.

So either kill it, or we play some ridiculous game of borderline conversation and even more borderline moderation. To what end? Some sort of digital forum Utopia where everyone agrees in a civil manner, about mundane topics? Cmon.

It's like Demolition Man. "You have be fined one credit for violation of the verbal morality statute"

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info