Going to sit out the next league entirely

Cant you salvage his body for meat? If he doesn't want to live it seems reasonable to not waste anything.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
Cant you salvage his body for meat? If he doesn't want to live it seems reasonable to not waste anything.

lol, frostpunk doesn't go that far.

"
aggromagnet wrote:

American Truck Simulator
The Evil Within 2
Endless Space 2
FarCry 5
The Forest
Frostpunk
The Hunter: Call of the Wild
LA Noire
Legend of Grimrock 2
Mafia III
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Metro: Exodus
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Project Zomboid
Wasteland 2

I'd go with the RPGs and the 1st Person Action Games First. As they are easier to get out of the way. You play them once, and get all the story, and goodness that comes with it in a few hours.

If you are looking for casual play, I'd go with Frostpunk, Endless Space, or Truck Simulator.

Frostpunk has a really good steampunk/apocalyptic atmosphere, and it's pretty easy long as you aren't playing the very highest difficulty.

Endless Space, is a game you can stop and play whenever you want, in space.

And Truck Simulator is pretty relaxing.

So,

1. LA:Noire
2. Farcry 5
3. Metro:Exodus
4. Pathfinder:Kingmaker
5. Frostpunk
6. Truck Simulator.
7. Endless Space 2

Metro:Exodus has the best story, out the list above. So, I'd play it somewhere in the middle of your gaming run. Just to keep yourself motivated.

Also, heard good things about Project Zomboid, (zombie survival game) but its a game like Dwarf Fortress and Distant Worlds:Universe.

It has a high learning curve.

You might have to read some guides on that one on how to get started. Can't really play it blind.

Also, Legend of Grimrock 2 is a table rogue-lite game.

I heard it was good, but I could never get used to the interface, because its a turn-based Dungeons and Dragon like game.

I'd avoid it, unless you really like those old 90s exploration games, like Myst.
(⌐■_■)
"
RPGlitch wrote:
I'd go with the RPGs and the 1st Person Action Games First. As they are easier to get out of the way. You play them once, and get all the story, and goodness that comes with it in a few hours.

If you are looking for casual play, I'd go with Frostpunk, Endless Space, or Truck Simulator.

Frostpunk has a really good steampunk/apocalyptic atmosphere, and it's pretty easy long as you aren't playing the very highest difficulty.

Endless Space, is a game you can stop and play whenever you want, in space.

And Truck Simulator is pretty relaxing.

So,

1. LA:Noire
2. Farcry 5
3. Metro:Exodus
4. Pathfinder:Kingmaker
5. Frostpunk
6. Truck Simulator.
7. Endless Space 2

Metro:Exodus has the best story, out the list above. So, I'd play it somewhere in the middle of your gaming run. Just to keep yourself motivated.

Also, heard good things about Project Zomboid, (zombie survival game) but its a game like Dwarf Fortress and Distant Worlds:Universe.

It has a high learning curve.

You might have to read some guides on that one on how to get started. Can't really play it blind.

Also, Legend of Grimrock 2 is a table rogue-lite game.

I heard it was good, but I could never get used to the interface, because its a turn-based Dungeons and Dragon like game.

I'd avoid it, unless you really like those old 90s exploration games, like Myst.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! It's a pretty good list, and lines up fairly well what I'm already leaning towards atm. I feel like running through at least a couple story-heavy titles that have a clear beginning and end would good.

I'm probably going to use theHunter in place of things like American Truck to fill in some gaps with "chill" mode, mainly just because of having spent a good amount of time in Euro Truck not that long ago. I dabbled in it a bit a couple years ago, and it's a really nice change of pace from the zoom zoom zoom go go go of PoE and other recent games.

I really enjoyed the first Grimrock. I was in my late teens during the SSI Gold Box era, and I played the hell out of Dungeon Hack and Eye of the Beholder back then. The first Grimrock was a really nice modern throwback to those days. The sequel has some pretty substantial differences from what I understand.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
j33bus wrote:
The steam version really isn't all that bad, I've played the SNES version and that one and it's honestly just fine. The complaints are from people who didn't really compare the two, just the memory of one the SNES one, and the steam version.

Good to know. People can be picky, and pissy, and I wouldn't know any different so there's that too.

"
FCK42 wrote:
Frostpunk is INCREDIBLY difficult. Some people I know called it the Dark Souls of strategy games. The game will kill your population over and over again while simultaneously forcing you to make some absolutely hideous decisions. One example: One person is dying and doesn't want to become an amputee, but the only way to save him is to take his leg off. What do you do?
Oh yeah, if you decide to save him... he loses his will to live after a while and commits suicide.

If you look for something as depressing as it is challenging, Frostpunk is the way to go.

Oh yeah, made me look

Bloody suicide again, but this is a game.

Sounds like a hard game, and a dark one. Not sure I'd enjoy it, but if I worked in, say, hospitality, then yeah maybe I would.
"
erdelyii wrote:
"
FCK42 wrote:
Frostpunk is INCREDIBLY difficult. Some people I know called it the Dark Souls of strategy games. The game will kill your population over and over again while simultaneously forcing you to make some absolutely hideous decisions. One example: One person is dying and doesn't want to become an amputee, but the only way to save him is to take his leg off. What do you do?
Oh yeah, if you decide to save him... he loses his will to live after a while and commits suicide.

If you look for something as depressing as it is challenging, Frostpunk is the way to go.

Oh yeah, made me look

Bloody suicide again, but this is a game.

Sounds like a hard game, and a dark one. Not sure I'd enjoy it, but if I worked in, say, hospitality, then yeah maybe I would.

Just spent a couple hours on it, since it was the only one on my list that I already had installed. Didn't take too long to get to a point where I was often faced with making one terrible choice vs this other terrible choice. Do something that might help your colony now but will definitely give you regrets later, or do something that will definitely give you regrets now that might or might not really help your colony later, or a little bit of both of those things. Just about every decision seems to be a lose/lose scenario in some way.

It's a real downer lol.
"
aggromagnet wrote:
It's a real downer lol.

To be fair... a post apocalyptic game set in an icy wasteland doesn't really fit a happy overall tone. But I agree. It's incredibly depressing. It's a good game, but I just can't handle playing it for too long. Also, I suck at it. Those two might be connected, not sure.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
aggromagnet wrote:
Just spent a couple hours on it, since it was the only one on my list that I already had installed. Didn't take too long to get to a point where I was often faced with making one terrible choice vs this other terrible choice. Do something that might help your colony now but will definitely give you regrets later, or do something that will definitely give you regrets now that might or might not really help your colony later, or a little bit of both of those things. Just about every decision seems to be a lose/lose scenario in some way.

It's a real downer lol.

"
FCK42 wrote:
To be fair... a post apocalyptic game set in an icy wasteland doesn't really fit a happy overall tone. But I agree. It's incredibly depressing. It's a good game, but I just can't handle playing it for too long. Also, I suck at it. Those two might be connected, not sure.

Sounds like one to play when in the right frame of mind and for a short stretch. The right frame of mind for me might be philosophical and relaxed, maybe with some chill tunes on. Does sound interesting, and challenging.

Maybe once I find the Iceberg Hideout with my Soulwrest phantasm witch (the only compelling in-game project I have left at this point in time), and after Chrono Trigger. At this rate, with how rarely I play, and how elusive that bastard hidden hideout is, the ice in Frostpunk world may well have all melted.

Oh and after sorting out my YouTube playlists, maybe.

Not that it matters to you two, you have made life and death decisions that affect a whole world, everything's nothing after that.

This War of Mine was pretty damned bleak, but Frostpunk definitely ramps that bleakness up a few notches. It's like, I feel bad about some of what I'm doing...but I'm also enjoying the game...so then I feel bad about feeling good about it.
Guess it depends exactly what you're enjoying.
is project zomboid actually out?
i remember playing it in alpha like an extremely long time ago, lol. it was a fantastic zombie game then.

oh, nope, looks like its still early access. jesus. its been awhile

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info