[3.8 Video Guide] Beginner Friendly: Winter Orb Trickster [Uber Elder & Fast]

"
rvaHammer wrote:
"
ladyjaja wrote:

"The build is designed to freeze & shatter everything it comes near and on top of this it has well over 5000 eHP + Acrobatics & Phase Acrobatics which makes it a very suitable beginner friendly build."

How do I manage to freeze stuffs after I put point in Avatar of Fire??

This too is what im wondering. Ive fully switched over to avatar and herald of ash with cold2fire and my dps is great. But worried without the shatter.

I came back to this thread with the exact same question. Are we all missing something or what's wrong here?
Currently going through the guide to make sure there aren't anything I've missed since the remake of the build.

That is one part of it. It doesn't shatter. It explodes enemies via Herald of Ash which covers porcupines and should you be extremely unlucky some will go through which is covered by the CWDT - IC. I'm currently running the build in Flashback HC without problems.

Give me like 30min to double check everything in the guide to avoid any misstakes. If you see anything that seems out of place or confusing, let me know asap!
Guides: https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/ghazzy-guide-hub
YT: https://www.youtube.com/GhazzyTV
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/ghazzytv
Just thought I'd put my two cents here after playing this build from the beginning of Flashback, alongside it being the first time I've ever played Winter Orb of any kind.

Here's my current gear, it barely follows the gear guide, I'm saving for the weapons first, but my tree is exactly the same.

90% of it is self found and I just finished my ascendancies and got a nice enchant on my boots. This last change has given the character such a boost it's quite unbelievable and I'm completely annihilating maps, everything just pops in T10, I haven't gone higher yet. I don't think anything I have equipped is particularly fancy but it might be useful for any other beginners who are just settling into the build to see what will at least get you mapping easily.

I have to say, the guide was a little confusing at first, maybe it's my fault, I couldn't find a coherent guide anywhere online for a first time Winter Orb player, that was similar to Enki's amazing Arc Witch, I should note I'm pretty new to PoE too. So I made do, I still don't quite get which are the best movements spells to use, or how the gem setups should be but I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far, especially now after the rough start and finished Uberlab.

Many thanks for the guide Ghazzy!

Last edited by Isula on May 13, 2019, 9:17:41 PM
Thanks for taking the time and coming back to make some updates Ghazzy. Much appreciated!
"
Isula wrote:
Just thought I'd put my two cents here after playing this build from the beginning of Flashback, alongside it being the first time I've ever played Winter Orb of any kind.

Here's my current gear, it barely follows the gear guide, I'm saving for the weapons first, but my tree is exactly the same.

90% of it is self found and I just finished my ascendancies and got a nice enchant on my boots. This last change has given the character such a boost it's quite unbelievable and I'm completely annihilating maps, everything just pops in T10, I haven't gone higher yet. I don't think anything I have equipped is particularly fancy but it might be useful for any other beginners who are just settling into the build to see what will at least get you mapping easily.

I have to say, the guide was a little confusing at first, maybe it's my fault, I couldn't find a coherent guide anywhere online for a first time Winter Orb player, that was similar to Enki's amazing Arc Witch, I should note I'm pretty new to PoE too. So I made do, I still don't quite get which are the best movements spells to use, or how the gem setups should be but I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far, especially now after the rough start and finished Uberlab.

Many thanks for the guide Ghazzy!

Hey,

Thank you for this feedback, this is what I need to hear to improve the guides I make.
I've felt personally that this has been the worst start of a guide I've ever made. I'll try to do better in the future so I don't have to revisit it 24/7.

Glad you're enjoying it!
Guides: https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/ghazzy-guide-hub
YT: https://www.youtube.com/GhazzyTV
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/ghazzytv
My thoughts for those struggling as a league starter - don't mess with the conversion mechanics until you have ALL the pieces. Winter Orb is strong enough with full investment to carry the build on its own until pretty far in the late game.

That means:
1) run Winter Orb - GMP - Infused Channeling - Cold Penetration - Concentrated Effect - Hypothermia in your 6-link
2) Don't spec Avatar of Fire
3) Supplement with Ice Spear - Elemental Focus - Unleash - Controlled Destruction
4) Slot Flame Golem in Malachai's Artifice
5) Run Hatred and Herald of Ice auras
6) Spec into Lucidity as soon as you reach it
7) Ascend Swift Killer -> Weave the Arcane -> Ghost Dance -> Escape Artist
8) Use Atziri's flask
9) Don't skill Fire Walker, Heart of Flame, or Snowforged yet
10) Add frost bomb to your CWDT setup for more reduced cold res

You shouldn't have mana problems or DPS problems this way. When analyzing the build, you have to search for the thing that makes the build tick. The Winter Orb setup in this guide utilizes Beltimber and Frostferno to get a pseudo 6-link with +2 to gem level. It's awesome, but doesn't mean anything if you don't have the pieces. Since you don't have the pieces, there's no point converting any of the other damage to fire. If you're not doing full conversion, Herald of Ash is wasted. Etc. Etc. Etc.....

Once you can get Frostferno and 2x Beltimber, do the following all at once:
1) Switch all gem setups to those in the guide
2) Spec Avatar of Fire
3) Swap Herald of Ice to Herald of Ash
4) Spec into Sovereignty
5) Swap Herald of Purity into Malachai's Artifice instead of Flame Golem
6) Drop Atziri's flask
7) Pick up Fire Walker, Heart of Flame, Snowforged
8) Take out Frost Bomb

Herald of Purity summons sentinels constantly which do physical damage. Your hatred aura grants them a portion of their physical as extra cold, thus giving them the cold damage to proc Elemental Equilibrium. It's vital that you don't do this before going 100% fire conversion. If you're still doing cold damage, you'll nerf yourself.

It mostly just requires being careful and understanding all of the interactions.
Last edited by rlauren2 on May 13, 2019, 10:35:11 PM
1 last thing ghazzy if you see this; frostferno isnt listed under the recommended unique items. But its definitely recommended.
How is it with phase run and Alchemist's Quicksilver Flask of Adrenaline? I get a bit of desync with leap slam but not sure if losing the fortify is hard.

"
rlauren2 wrote:
The Winter Orb setup in this guide utilizes Beltimber and Frostferno to get a pseudo 6-link with +2 to gem level.

Its my understanding a frostferno would be a pseudo 5-link in this scenario with +2 to gem level. Unless you mean to equate +2 to empower(lvl3) in that case then yes this would be a pseudo 6-link but then you couldn't add the "with +2 to gem levels"

Edit: now that im thinking, with dual beltimber plus frostferno yes it is psuedo 6link. So im wrong.
Last edited by rvaHammer on May 14, 2019, 2:00:15 AM
do we need the stun blocking from brine patheon if we have escape artist?

should we try to fit in arcane surge? Im using it with flame dash now but wondering if crafting arcane surge on kill and increased cast speed on a weapon is worth it to lose some damage.
Last edited by Shock3r19711 on May 14, 2019, 3:54:25 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info