Chat is unnecessary for PS4

I think chat would be incredibly helpful for newer players; they'd be able to ask questions in global chat in-game rather than having to make the effort to google something they don't know about.
Last edited by nooky_ on Apr 2, 2019, 1:02:50 PM
I'm a new player and whilst most of what I need to know is easily gleened from the internet, having a global chat system would be nice.

Part of the draw to an morpg or mmorpg is the real time communication with new people. It can make a game even more immersive. Over half my PS4 friends list are people I've met playing Neverwinter, that I wouldn't have otherwise spoken to had it not been for in-game chat.

Batting about ideas with the community while you theory craft that next build. Having a wide range of knowledge available on command, to answer those very specific queries that Google just can't grasp. That you'd otherwise spend hours of trawling the forums for an answer on or wait days for a reply. When someone online would likely have answered it in minutes.

Imho, there's a plethora of pros to having a Global chat system and very little points to argue for the cons. The one main point being that it enables third parties to advertise, a problem that's prevalent on PC and just about every other morpg and mmorpg out. Tbh, it's not really that big of a deal.
Never once did I hear someone say "woah, that currency vendor in global looks good, I'm going to check it out" nor have I rushed to inspect their wares. If people are going to use third party vendors, they will use them regardless of where they advertise. As with all things we wish for nowadays, they will simply use Google to find the vendor they require.

And, tbh I think the vast majority of PoE players are of what I call the "true gamer" breed. We expect to be challenged by the content and revel in its difficulty and intricacies. We don't want to buy our end game, we want to build it.
You are clearly new to poe.

You want to sell Hideouts - you need chat (or currently discord).
You want to buy or sell crafts? - you need chat (or currently discord).
You want to sell carry service? - you need chat (or currently discord).
You want to buy or sell stuff needed to complete challenges? - you need chat (or currently discord).
You want to sell Map Portals for unique Maps? - you need chat (or currently discord).

The tradeboard is for trading items (and its pretty bad for that).

I play on Xbox since it launched and chat is needed for a lot of stuff.
"
Shadeless01 wrote:
for trade you will need chat, for sharing portals you need chat, for sharing lab trials you will need chat.. to help the community you will need ingame chat.. (xbox and ps4)

Totally agree.
It would also make it possible to efficiently trade on PS4.
The ingame trade system is garbage to be honest, in its current state.

With a chat we could use poe.trade for search and then whisper ingame the person selling.
Please add chat.
i think ingame chat would be a nice to have feature but its realy not necessary.

"
filix wrote:
I text chat and communication wouldn't be important. There wouldn't be any discord servers for the console version or facebook groups. There are many people who prefer written chat over voice.

Ofc voice is more efficient, but also only if you understand your counterpart.

And for anyone who cares about chat, console also supports keyboards, so does poe (for text input already).

I use a keyboard, just for the Text Filters right now, as i dont want to type with the controller.

So sharing trials, completing the atlas, trading could be much better over chat. Tradeboard works in some cases quite well, but its behind a paywall. (that might be a reason, why we didnt have chat in the first place, to make trading so much harder, that people have to buy premium stash)

And OP, why do you think you can speak for the whole community, just because you dont want a chat. There wouldn't be so many requests here, if everyone would agree with you.

I do not know what you are useing, but my usb Keyboard is not supoortet by this game, not even for the searches or filters.
i can only use sonys onscreen keyboard (and while this is visible sony recognizes the usb Keyboard and let you use it as an input, but not the game itself.)
i really want to use my Keyboard in Poe, but until that is not implemented, i didnt need any in game chat function.
I do not know how this is on the xboy side but for Playstations chat is only a nice to have but not needed.
Up to then the playstation community feature works fine, even while you play other games you can see questions or trade offers.

So i think first there have to be other concerns and more important features we need.
My priority which list would be:
1. fixing bugs
2. fixing server issues
3. guild and guild stash
4. customisable keybindings
5. Keyboard support
6. rework of the trade system
7. chat
I would be ok with only typing RIP after someone high lvl in HC dies.
"
solwitch wrote:
The majority of games don’t have it, if people want to talk they can do so by using PS4 own communication systems. Currently what everyone uses, simply if someone wants to chat with someone they send a friend request and invite them to their private session.

In addition PS4 has community pages, people chat their all the time. Chat box is intrusive and attracts problems...

What rubbish
"

2. fixing server issues
3. guild and guild stash
4. customisable keybindings
5. Keyboard support

+1 these
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
"
signonthe wrote:
Are you new to the game? I say that because you are talking like a SSF or new player. Chat is big impact to the game. Totally disagree with you.

Big impact? Like how?

FPS drops? Can't see a portion of the game screen? Toucans?

In all the time I played on PC prior to PS4, I always tried to keep the window open so I could have a gander at the amazing conversations people were having, but I always ended up hiding the window after only a couple of minutes because of all the nonsense and trolling. Half the time people just flood the chat with toucans - what's the point? Chat is unusable.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info