Is my math off?

Had some shower thoughts what it would look like if there were no cities, or buildings higher than 2 floors and was wondering how much space we would fit in.

First we give 7 billion people a average 400 square meter plot with yard and garage included. Then we half that number, assuming all children and elderly live in the same household. But then we double it again, out of pure laziness and generosity, so we are back at 1,4 trillion sqm,
which is 1,400,000 km2?

Really?

Europe is 10 mill km2...
and all we need is less than 2 mill km2 to fit every person in the world if they were given a 400 sqm plot and a small nice house?

This can't be... did I fuck up the numbers or something?
Seriously? That's how little space we take if there were no dense big city hot spots?

* 2,800,000,000,000 sqm not 1,400,000,000,000
but that's still only 2,800,000 km2 ? Roughly 3 million km2.
What the fuck...
Last edited by DudeTheLegend on Mar 23, 2019, 5:47:38 PM
Last bumped on Mar 26, 2019, 11:56:56 AM
Now feed them all....
That's only the space where everyone lives. Now we also have to feed people, need place for factories and power plants and spaces where people can enjoy themselves or do sports. And that's just a part of the entire system. The living space isn't the real problem, but only few people want to literally live at their workplace (unless they're working from home). Infrastructure takes up a lot more space than you'd think.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
having enough food is not the issue with feeding people. the problem with everyone having food is the people that control food distribution for power.

we also waste an extreme amount of food, and opportunity for food.

my buddy has an apple tree. last year or two years ago he gave away 60 bushels to his family and friends, and he still had an insane amount just rotting on the ground. thats one tree of one fruit in one yard in the entire world.

think about this - yes we take up more space for things like buildings etc. the entire population doesn't take much room on their own but we take a lot more for a bunch of other things.
however, we really value GRASS for no fucking reason. if every house that has a lawn had a garden instead, people would cut their grocery bills in half and provide more food than they themselves as a family could consume.

how about this. every school and hospital in all the countries have giant gardens. they use the food in their cafeterias and, fuck it, they have the patients/children tend to them. that would be great for sick people, to get outside and do a bit of work. goals prolong life. it would also be incredible education for children.

you could even have community gardens, if not such private personal ones.

but yes, the world is way way bigger than what people think. over population? no, sorry.
and also keep in mind how much of the world is habitable. most is oceans and other bodies of water, mountain ranges, deserts, tundras, ice, etc. yet there is still so much we haven't and wouldn't even be able to inhabit.
drive across north america. its insane how much room there is.
Ive heard that the entire population of planet Dirt could reside in the jurisdiction currently known as Texas, USA. Usually from either a far Left or far Right shill. Most people are sensible enough to know that while we could do this, it doesn't mean we should. Although for location, you could do a lot worse than Texas or Europe.

My concerns about the current population crisis on planet Dirt aside, there is no practical reason to even attempt doing so, unless there's some sort of intergalactic treaty where humans need to vacate x amount of land so that we can allow the immigration of more Kardashians. Gonna need a lot of ass room in that event.

As far of the questions of food and workspace and all that, the people who normally shill this kind of thing are pie-in-the-sky idealists who have convinced themselves that once we do this, we'll never have to work again... other than growing the food (we'll let the Mexicans do that- they're proven professionals) and cooking the food (we'll let the Germans do this cuz, screw you guys). And building the houses. And running the elctrical and water and natural gas and cable... yeah, gonna need to open some workspace. I guess we can sublet Louisiana for that.

At least the hermits of the world will have plenty of space to themselves.
[quote="Lovecraftuk"]I think the new meta is everyone bitching about the new league. [/quote]
There´s only 11% of the world which is farmable, this is done by local 1% of the population in mechanised societies.

The other 89% is place for trooptraining, manouvers and weapontests.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
whoa I don't want to imagine.
I like empty space tbh.

Also a LOT of the space in countries is not viable or too uncomfortable to live in.
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
Indulge a little heartfelt belief, if you will. Nowhere on Earth is empty. While I appreciate why people say it, and you've said you like empty space, they often say it as a negative due to so much unvarying landscape "between" destinations: empty misconstrues what is there.

"
KIRUN KAPUR
In the Rub’ al Khali

You’ll want to cover yourself. The morning
cry from the muezzin strips the sky.

Ptolemy was first to reveal
the desert’s entry gate to the world,

calling Muscat, hidden harbor. You believe
all any person wants is to be seen,

but here you stand under the cloudless eye
and know how Eve and Adam felt—

sweet and tart fruit lashed their mouth,
transforming them: bare to exposed.

Wrap up your frankincense, your bridal chest
of meteor stones in layer after layer

of earthly cloth. When the day has glazed
you in its kiln, when you’re the only

vertical line crossing the horizon,
it’s a relief to kneel, drench your face

in fine red sand. Let’s feed each other
a bowl of dates, let’s build a courtyard garden

surrounded by high walls. Before the first prayer
ends and dawn blinds us with its charge,

let’s trap the darkness, Love,
hold all its stars under our shawls.

If satellites patrol our heaven,
if beetles leave encrypted tracks

around our sleeping mats
for a thousand mornings,

if our story orbits back
to when the desert was

the ocean, if
you put your mouth

to me like a jellyfish,
like a diesel kiss, like I am

a bottle of well water,
if we crush each other,

like a reef whose happy ending
is to be reborn as dunes. Beloved

caravan, sweet eon, wind erosion—
If it hasn’t rained in years, we’ll live

on miraculous green shoots,
as when our vows were new.

In the harsh places of the world, sand, ice, rocks, trees, plants, clouds, animals, people, ruins, buildings, water, space, wind, birds, thoughts, flowers, tracks, stars ... and so on, on a vast scale, no, not empty.

Last edited by erdelyii on Mar 26, 2019, 7:31:16 AM
"Total area of Earth in sq km"

510 million km²

~3km² is less than 1/150 of that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info