Blood Magic

IGN: Guillotine - Shadow - Open Beta
Bawss - 73 Witch - Closed Beta

Last edited by tzaro on Mar 14, 2013, 7:58:10 PM
"
Eth42 wrote:
I don't get how this gem can be considerered underpowered. About the cost, it will go down to 200-210% after some leveling.

Then there is the fact that you can pool your entire regen stats/perks to health, which allows for easy mode gearing (you don't have to worry about having enough mana/mana regen but not too much to not waste stats), since you can hardly get "too much life" or "too much life regen/leeching"

And it lets you run three 40% auras easily (with a reduced mana gem), possibly 4 with some mana reservation perk reduction.

I don't think this is possible... 40% x 3 is 120%. The reduction from the reduced mana gem brings it back down to 85%, and then after the 'Blood Magic' support multiplier it is back up to about 160% mana cost. And it uses that percentage on your health, not on your mana. To test this, i set up a haste aura with blood magic, and then reduced my mana pool and the HP reserved was still the same.
IGN: Guillotine - Shadow - Open Beta
Bawss - 73 Witch - Closed Beta

Last edited by tzaro on Mar 14, 2013, 8:10:06 PM
you forgot he also said passives too but answer is still same, can't do 3 40%'s.
120% *.8(passives) = 96% mp
96% *.75(reduced gem) = 72% mp
72% *2.1 (suggested blood gem) = 151.2% hp
someone is being silly =p
That's not what he's saying. Using Blood Magic on your main skills lets you reserve all your mana for auras and continue casting your skills fine without any mana passives or items. Obviously you wouldn't reserve auras with a blood magic support.
Last edited by PyrosEien on Mar 15, 2013, 2:20:39 AM
"
PyrosEien wrote:
That's not what he's saying. Using Blood Magic on your main skills lets you reserve all your mana for auras and continue casting your skills fine without any mana passives or items. Obviously you wouldn't reserve auras with a blood magic support.

This ;)

Been using the BM support gem ever since last post. Recently I considered using a blood magic unique (since my build doesn't go anywhere near blood magic keystone) to free up an additionnal support gem on my main attack, but it's really hard to give up Haste+Purity+Vitality (especially Purity that will get me to 85% max resists once it's level 20, without even considering the 32% all resists I'd have to get back on the gear)

At least here, the gem still does feel as strong as the keystone (using Faster Casting as 5th gem would probably increase my damage quite a bit, but I'd have to give up a lot of defences for that)
IGN: EthInvictus

Trading Forums Enhancer: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/244736
"
Eth42 wrote:
"
PyrosEien wrote:

This ;)

Been using the BM support gem ever since last post. Recently I considered using a blood magic unique (since my build doesn't go anywhere near blood magic keystone) to free up an additionnal support gem on my main attack, but it's really hard to give up Haste+Purity+Vitality (especially Purity that will get me to 85% max resists once it's level 20, without even considering the 32% all resists I'd have to get back on the gear)

At least here, the gem still does feel as strong as the keystone (using Faster Casting as 5th gem would probably increase my damage quite a bit, but I'd have to give up a lot of defences for that)
Mmmmm, what spell are you using? I'd probably drop vitality unless it's what keeps your blood magic fueled personally. Replace it with Determination >.>
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
The quality bonus on it doesn't make much sense to me.

For one, it is situational. For two, since it is situational the bonus is a bit low for the amount of currency that goes into getting quality on it. (I've had 1 GCP drop in the entire time I have played the game). For three, that doesn't even work with spells or cast speed. What the heck is up with that? You have this support gem made to support magic spells (as evidenced by the fact that you put magic in the name of the gem) and then it doesn't even work with spells that have a casting time.

IGN : Reamus
BM gem is not OP, and its balanced by mana req, build like mine (i have 7 auras up)need to fixed by MAXing 3 aura on char!!!!(look at curse, 1 curse on char , if u wanna more u need to take nod or uniq, charge fixd by 3 on 1 char, if u need more take nod or uniq) I think GGG need to do same thing with auras. placed a new nods on map skills +1 aura, and new uniq items with +1 aura. THIS IS BALANCE.
100lvl mele pvp QUIT
Hi, I love the blood magic support and have used it extensively in my builds. One thing I'd like to comment on is the quality bonus.

The quality bonus on this gem only benefits one VERY specific type of build. An ES based melee or ranged who uses blood magic to run a aura so they can use a low life build. For obvious reasons shavronne's wrapings would be necessary for this build or you would be too vulnerable to chaos damage. I think this is TOO specific of a bonus and would like to see a bonus useful to most builds.

I guess it would also benefits someone who uses it and just got low on life but come on.... that too situational and not worth it.

Unless there are builds I'm not thinking of?
"
haplessG00N wrote:
Hi, I love the blood magic support and have used it extensively in my builds. One thing I'd like to comment on is the quality bonus.

The quality bonus on this gem only benefits one VERY specific type of build. An ES based melee or ranged who uses blood magic to run a aura so they can use a low life build. For obvious reasons shavronne's wrapings would be necessary for this build or you would be too vulnerable to chaos damage. I think this is TOO specific of a bonus and would like to see a bonus useful to most builds.

I guess it would also benefits someone who uses it and just got low on life but come on.... that too situational and not worth it.

Unless there are builds I'm not thinking of?
Any melee or ranged build that can life leech likes the bonus. Basically having that +15% AS on low life works like a berserking switch, really useful if for instance you use Vaal Pact on a non-ES character. Yes that's a thing. Not a common thing but a thing.

Not every quality bonus is meant to be blanket usefulness. In BM's case it's there as a nice little bonus if you happen to take a hit to drop you low. The fact that it synergizes nicely with low life builds is more of a secondary thing. Almost any build USING blood magic to run its main attack will find use for the quality bonus at least part of the time.

Builds which use BM to use an attack spell off the top of my head: LS, Leap, LA, any build running 3+ auras on strength character
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info