Blood Magic

"
Rakutsi wrote:
I dont get it , what is it that changes every level on this gem ?

The mana cost multiplier drops each level on this support.

We decided we could do it with this one, as the support is about mana.

The other support with a variable mana multiplier is Reduced Mana Cost

Do you die when you use this(lvl1 gem) with Determination? 40% * 2,5 = 100%...
"
mirelitbab wrote:
Do you die when you use this(lvl1 gem) with Determination? 40% * 2,5 = 100%...
Yes. Your maths is correct, and spending 100% of your life will indeed kill you.
Due to the cost multiplier on this (and maybe if it goes down to like 150%), I don't see it being useful for anything at all except to get below 35% life on low-life builds (this way they don't need to worry about not taking life regen, or occasionally casting something to reduce health if they do have life regen, in which case they'd still probably need blood magic though).

This support must also be über-rare or not dropping at all, because I haven't seen anyone with one.
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
First off your not able to use a skill if you don't have the mana(health) . using haste I'm not allowed to activate any other aura's I don't die, just am unable to use the skills.
As for using 40% reserve aura w/ blood magic I can't comment . I leveled my blood magic gem XD

That all aside. blood magic starts at 250% and drops 3% / lvl .
"
eldragon0 wrote:
First off your not able to use a skill if you don't have the mana(health) . using haste I'm not allowed to activate any other aura's I don't die, just am unable to use the skills.
As for using 40% reserve aura w/ blood magic I can't comment . I leveled my blood magic gem XD

That all aside. blood magic starts at 250% and drops 3% / lvl .

Slight correction- it drops 3%, then 2%, then 3%, then 2%, etc.

Therefore, think of it as 5% reduction every 2 levels :)

(This is how it has been working for me so far, I think I have it to level 5 or 6 now)
"
Xapti wrote:
Due to the cost multiplier on this (and maybe if it goes down to like 150%), I don't see it being useful for anything at all except to get below 35% life on low-life builds (this way they don't need to worry about not taking life regen, or occasionally casting something to reduce health if they do have life regen, in which case they'd still probably need blood magic though).

This support must also be über-rare or not dropping at all, because I haven't seen anyone with one.

1) It is useful for high-HP marauder builds that want to reserve their mana away for auras and free up skill points getting to Blood Magic passive

2) Also agree that it must be rare but I finally found one for sale in chat yesterday and traded for it. 2 hours later I saw another for sale. So they do exist! :)
Considering that using this gem means losing a lot of damage from other supports you could have picked instead, I think the cost multiplier is ridiculously high.

I think it should start around 140% and reduce by 5% per level resulting a worthwhile gem at max level.
Last edited by BlastMonkey on Mar 27, 2012, 6:01:04 AM
"
BlastMonkey wrote:
Considering that using this gem means losing a lot of damage from other supports you could have picked instead, I think the cost multiplier is ridiculously high.

I think it should start around 140% and reduce by 5% per level resulting a worthwhile gem at max level.
That would mean the gem had a 100% multiplier, and therefore no drawback whatsoever, at level 5, and after that would be making your skills cost less than normal for each additional level.

Level 20 would have leveled 19 times, meaning it's got a multiplier of 45% - skills linked to it would cost less than half, in addition to costing life instead of mana. With no drawback.

I'm pretty confident that wouldn't be balanced.
Yeah, blood magic is really high right now, but it shouldn't go below a 1.4 multiplier.

"
visibiliti wrote:

1) It is useful for high-HP marauder builds that want to reserve their mana away for auras and free up skill points getting to Blood Magic passive
I'm not discounting that, but consider this: they're going to be paying around 200% cost for skills, while loosing a support gem slot. Those two huge penalties are being paid for what— 3 passive points and some auras? At most it's 8 passives (9-10 for non-templar/marauder), but that's an over-estimation, since regular attribute nodes can be a bit useful (at the least for requirements), and there are other useful passives around there too (quantity, iron grip, run speed, rarity, getting to another area on the tree).

1 support gem can increase damage by a good 30% or more, or add extra utility. That alone costs far more than 8 passive points. Getting 50% reduced mana cost passives would also cost far more than 8 skill passives.

The user does get the benefit of auras at reserve cost to them, but when things cost twice as much is that worth anything? I'd venture to say no. The increase in skill cost will act somewhat similar to reserve, since as long as you're casting abilities you'll be losing health, lowering it. Leech values would have to be very high to counter-act it. The auras grant damage and/or utility, but so can a support gem, and I'd say more damage and at least the same amount of utility.

So while it's not a clear-cut mathematically-provable that it's a scenario that's not efficient, I would claim that it's not a very good choice at the moment, and that blood magic support could use a bit of a buff — that or maybe the blood magic passive could use a nerf.

Reducing the multiplier from something like 2.5 to 2.1 would be more reasonable, I'd say.
At lvl 18 it would result in a 1.66 multiplier which makes a lot more sense.

"
visibiliti wrote:

2) Also agree that it must be rare but I finally found one for sale in chat yesterday and traded for it. 2 hours later I saw another for sale. So they do exist! :)
Yes, since I posted that message I've seen it many times (even though it's still rare). Before then I only heard about it once but never saw it linked.
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
Last edited by Xapti on Mar 28, 2012, 12:43:26 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info