Lightning Arrow

I've been running around with a bow templar who uses this skill. It works great because the templar tree is very close to the witch tree so you can use the +lighting passives along with mana related passives to make up for the high mana cost. Also templar has the plus weapon elemental damage node which really makes this build shine. Works great. Much better than any ranger build ive made before.
Last edited by Wootness on Apr 5, 2012, 3:17:40 PM
Pretty nice skill. Got to 50 just now on my ranger using this as my primary multi-target attack.

It starts off pretty bleh, with it's high mana cost and small AoE. But once you get multiple projectiles and pierce it really takes off due to the synergy.

It's lacking against spread out enemies but amazing against tightly knit groups. Some herding and positioning is required to take full advantage. Reminds me of lightning javazons in D2 actually, very similar.

My first character since I left 4 months ago so hard to judge the power level. I hit 50 in 23 hours if that helps, not sure if that's good or bad these days.

I like the graphic. I might suggest a subtle electric sound effect to go with it.

Last edited by aimlessgun on Apr 8, 2012, 2:00:09 AM
Hm just wondering, do increased AoE modifiers increase how far the extra hits can jump?
Asking last question as well. Do any AoE radius increasing effects increase the jump distance?
Increased area of effect will increase the area within which lightning arrow can hit additional targets.
I've also experienced the skill not working, and far more often than my hit rate of 88% would have implied. It seems to fizzle like 50% of the time, especially if you are shooting mobs at close range.

Also, the mana use is way too high early in the curve and pretty much wrecks this skill from being a staple 1-30.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Increased area of effect will increase the area within which lightning arrow can hit additional targets.
How does the "hits additional targets" behave?

Does it get increased damage from 10% increased area damage?

Do the extra hits carry over all modifiers the original arrow was endowed with?
"
Watlok wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
How does the "hits additional targets" behave?

Does it get increased damage from 10% increased area damage?

Do the extra hits carry over all modifiers the original arrow was endowed with?
The skill picks a set number of targets form all valid targets within ranger of the arrow hit, and rolls damage for them as well. It's dealing exactly the same damage as the arrow hit.
It's not area damage - that's used for things which hit all targets within an area. This is targeting specific enemies in range, not damaging everything in an area.
When we have the graphical tech for it, we'll have lightning arcing from the main target to the other targets.
For consistency, I would suggest adding "This skill requires a bow" or something similar. You might think it would be obvious, but plenty of fantasy games have Foo Arrow as a spell, which just shoots a lightning blast/acid blast/fire blast/etc.
itsalljustagame.wordpress.com - my blog about all things gaming - Current project - "Communal effort" - Game design by popular vote!
When Lightning Arrow hits walls/obstacles, it has inconsistent behavior.

Certain obstacles (trees, destructible objects, some walls) cause the lightning AoE to trigger and hit nearby enemies. This can be really useful for taking down an elite in jungle or cave levels.

Other obstacles (miscellaneous walls, frost wall spell) do not trigger the lightning AoE.

I just think the behavior should be consistent. (and would love to do a Frost Wall + Lightning Arrow build)

By the way, I absolutely love the skill and the visual of dropping a massive thunderstorm down on crowds. It's potent but probably not overpowered, as other skills (fireball) have the same AoE / multishot / pierce interaction. Also once you clear the normal crowd you're stuck with dispersed elites and you have to switch to something else to be effective. (please don't nerf my baby!)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info